Breathes Air and Not Repairable flags

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Breathes Air and Not Repairable flags

Post by FreeER »

Could these not be combined into a single "IsOrganic"/"IsOrganism"/"IsLiving" flag, it seems like you would use these together for the most part? Depending upon the type of poison you model it doesn't have to be taken in through the lungs, it could just as easily be taken in by contact with skin (basic armor would then not protect from poison but full suits would), and living flesh/tissue obviously can't be repaired with a repair-pack. I do understand that keeping them separate allows more flexibility, but I thought I'd mention it and see what others think.
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Breathes Air and Not Repairable flags

Post by Nova »

FreeER wrote:Could these not be combined into a single "IsOrganic"/"IsOrganism"/"IsLiving" flag, it seems like you would use these together for the most part?
And that's the reason why it should be seperated. More options = better. How about cyborg? Is repairable and breathes air. :)
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

Nova wrote:
FreeER wrote:Could these not be combined into a single "IsOrganic"/"IsOrganism"/"IsLiving" flag, it seems like you would use these together for the most part?
And that's the reason why it should be seperated. More options = better. How about cyborg? Is repairable and breathes air. :)
A cyborg breathes air? (the flag means that removes contamination)

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Well, questionable, but I would say yes. ^^
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

The motivation to not use biological (and create the biological flag later) was to make worm turrets and spawners not affectable by the poison cloud (it would be too strong that way).

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

kovarex wrote:The motivation to not use biological (and create the biological flag later) was to make worm turrets and spawners not affectable by the poison cloud (it would be too strong that way).
I can't remember if resistances came before or after (or during) poison but, could you not simply increase their resistances to poison to near 90% or so for balance rather than simply making poison completely ineffective? Though if players are ever able to control/build/use these biological units (play as biters sometime in the future?) they would need something like a "medicine shot" (stem cells?) to heal them, same is possible the actual player as well.
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- Wiki Modding Guide

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

I was going to edit my previous post then thought this might not be noticed (so sorry for double post if you care, if not then sorry for this sentence :))
Nova wrote:...How about cyborg? Is repairable and breathes air. :)
yes it breathes air (presumably, could be just a brain in a robot...) and yes it is repairable, but only partially. If the flesh gets cut you can't take a welding torch and fix it, so it would really need a max_repair = 30% definition rather than just a 'breathes-air' flag. But maybe that sounds too complicated.
Ficolas wrote:...the flag means that removes contamination
Actually it doesn't. The player breathes-air just like trees (code wise), but does not remove pollution/contamination because the trees actually remove pollution using the same method that any other entity could (emissions_per_tick).

@devs, maybe I'm just not seeing it but I can't actually find BREATHS_AIR ever being used in the code. Given, but not used. Though obviously the worms and spawner are not taking damage from the poison so it has to be used somehow/somewhere...

Also, I've literally just noticed that it's "breaths"-air rather than "breathes-air"...
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- Wiki Modding Guide

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

If something breathes, it doesn't mean it lives and vice versa.
- if I wear a gas-mask: Which object breathes? Me or the gas mask?
- a motor breathes much more air and it's no question, that it will break down, if it breath aerosol acid. (Hm, what is the right forms of breath? I breath, you breath... We had been breathing?)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

ssilk wrote:If something breathes, it doesn't mean it lives and vice versa.
- if I wear a gas-mask: Which object breathes? Me or the gas mask?
- a motor breathes much more air and it's no question, that it will break down, if it breath aerosol acid.
True enough, I'd say you (the mask just provides an airtight seal and a filter, or a canister of clean air). As to the motor, it's poison, not acid, so I would think it would only harm living tissue (might work as lubricant?), kind of like the difference between snake venom and sulfuric acid. As to life=breathing, the tree does not "breath" according to the wikipedia "anaerobic" article because it talks specifically about oxygen :) I think most of us would say the tree was alive, may not have feelings and thoughts, but a living creature that will eventually die yes.

But regardless of whether the term "breathing" accurately describes whether it is "poisonable" (better flag? lol) it is how it is used that matters, which is why I asked about the combination (mostly going to be together anyway). I believe the current uses are trees, player, biters.
(Hm, what is the right forms of breath? I breath, you breath... We had been breathing?)
From everything I've been taught in school and found on Google (:)) "breath" is a portion of air that you take in to survive, whereas "to breathe" is the action of pulling that air in, and "breathing" is the same but eing looked funny to someone important so they said it was better to drop the e...I'm guessing on that last part :)
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- Wiki Modding Guide

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

Well its just a flag, the name doesnt need to be totally exact.

Return to “Modding discussion”