Quietly update a mod ?

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Quietly update a mod ?

Post by mmmPI »

I have been goofing around with mods of my own recently, i am therefore inexperimented, doing a lot of mistakes, eager to correct them as soon as i spot them or find a "fix" which feels like leading to multiple "minor" updates.

I wanted to know if there was a possibility to quietly update the mod without having it pop on the first page everytime for that

1)it feel unfair for other mod makers that would be more careful / patient / organised in their release. When looking at mods stats, an update usually leads to some "new mod downloads" , most likely due to the attention gotten from being in the first page temporarily.

2)it feel like a reward for doing things poorly, and no way to do them well, psychologically i would appreciate having a way to present differently updates that i'm proud of because i spent time adding something, and other update i'm on the contrary kinda ashame of, because they could have been avoided had i been more careful.

3)what if i have a mod that has another one has dependancy, and i add a third one that needs the first 2, and so on. At some point , if i add say, a 10th song, and i do 1 mod per song and all mod need to have the other song as depency ... it will lead to 10 mod being updated at once for only a very minor change like a dependancy change ... ?

Any suggestion for good practices that i could apply in general, in practice or a reasonning ?

vinzenz
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Quietly update a mod ?

Post by vinzenz »

I wouldn’t worry about that. Everyone benefits from active mod creators, please push as many fixes as you need ☺️

For now the only way to hide your updated mod from the frontpage is to mark it as deprecated during updates and only removing the deprecated flag after new mods take over.
bringing the oops to devops

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Quietly update a mod ?

Post by mmmPI »

I'm not sure i'd be one of the mod creators from which everyone benefit given the current state of the mods.

But i sure appreciate having no restrain on creativity, just need to make something good out of it !

Return to “Modding discussion”