Struggle with waterpump mod

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
astral-entity
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Struggle with waterpump mod

Post by astral-entity »

I wanted to create a mod for a water pump until I hit a road block. As far as I can see, it's not possible to do what I wanted or it's getting too complicated.

What I wanted to do was a water pump that ...

... looks like a pump jack
... acts like an offshore pump
... requires electricity
... can be placed anywhere

To add at least some form of balancing, I think this should come with a cost. For the benefit of putting that pump anywhere, it should require electricity and only has a low water output.

Sounds simple, but it's not.
  • I got a version of the mod working, using the "OffshorePumpPrototype" prototype. Unfortunately this prototype doesn't have attributes to configure an energy source.
  • Using a "MiningDrillPrototype" is also not working for me since it needs to be placed on resources. And I want it to be placeable everywhere.
  • The "AssemblingMachinePrototype" with a hidden recipe (I saw that a lot in other mods) is also not really what I want. I don't like the items-produced counter and I don't like the idea of water being "produced".
Soo. to create a clean mod, the way I wanted to I need one of these things:
  1. The "OffshorePumpPrototype" is extended with the ability to have an energy source.
  2. The "AssemblingMachinePrototype" can be configured to be placed anywhere. And maybe I need a way to mark it so it's not thinking that resources are missing

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Struggle with waterpump mod

Post by FuryoftheStars »

There exist a few varieties of this type of mod already:
Offshore P.U.M.P.S. and Ground Water
Water Well (pump free water from the ground)
Zaned - Drill to Aquifer
Mud Water well pump
Stone Water Well

To list a few.

Edit: That list was primarily meant as a "take a look at these on how they did it". That said...
astral-entity wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:28 pm
The "AssemblingMachinePrototype" with a hidden recipe (I saw that a lot in other mods) is also not really what I want. I don't like the items-produced counter and I don't like the idea of water being "produced".
This is, unfortunately, afaik, the only way to do it. You can just ignore the production counter, or see it as a counter of how much the pump as drawn up from the ground.
astral-entity wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:28 pm
The "AssemblingMachinePrototype" can be configured to be placed anywhere. And maybe I need a way to mark it so it's not thinking that resources are missing[/list]
I'm assuming you meant "MiningDrillPrototype" there.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Return to “Modding discussion”