Best practices for setting player speed?

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
cromptank
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Best practices for setting player speed?

Post by cromptank »

I am interested in tweaking player speed within a mod I am working on, but I am unsure how to change the speed without overwriting the effects of other mods, exoskeletons, spitter splashes and various stickers. I am thinking changing the character_running_speed_modifier is the best way, but for one, its not clear if other effects also change this? And if there is another mod also changing that value then I have to make sure to restore the impact of that mod (and make sure my mod wont be overwritten by that other mod). Is there a reliable to do this, like a trick of some kind? Or are movement speed-affecting mods typically not compatible?

Thanks,
Cromptank

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Best practices for setting player speed?

Post by Stringweasel »

Hello!

Not sure about the running_speed_modifier. Might be if other mods might change it after you do.

A trick you can use is to add an invisible sticker to the character. Similar to what slow-down capsules do, except to increase speed.

The tricky part is managing it though. Is it automatically created for new players? What if they go into editor mode and chamge back? Change surfaces in SE? Toggle the Jetpack? Get in and out of vehicles?
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

cromptank
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Best practices for setting player speed?

Post by cromptank »

The sticker strategy is quite smart. In a way it feely more hacky then changing the character speed modifier, but I really like that it would act independently of other mods and effects. I’ll have to get myself familiar with stickers and try to find a reliable way to keep it active, but this seems like a good path to insure compatibility. Thanks for your thoughts!

Return to “Modding discussion”