Is it possible to work on graphics in real time?

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
Taurondir
Inserter
Inserter

Is it possible to work on graphics in real time?

Post by Taurondir »

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I thought I'd ask simply because back in the days I used to use a program called TexMod (https://www.moddb.com/downloads/texmod4) to customize some graphics in games in order to see a little better.

Because my eyesight is what it is, I have a folder full of custom-edited graphics PNG files that I dump into every new install of Factorio in order to remove "visual clutter" that screws with my eyes, for example, all my terrain is ONE color, all the tiles just look like different shades of Concrete, Roboports have a Green box around them so they stand right out when you look for them, and so on.

Thing is, when I'm screwing around on one object - lets say I'm editing a Lamp to make the lit-up area show up better, I have to fully shut-down and restart a factorio map to see a change. If I was using a tool like TexMod I could just "refresh" the graphic in memory to see it.

Is there ANY tricks that would make Factorio do a Force-reload of all the graphics in a running game?

I am starting with the assumption of a very hard NO, but you know, I though I would ask, as maybe, just maybe, during Factorio game development there might have been a way to do so to speed up actual work on the game.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Is it possible to work on graphics in real time?

Post by Koub »

[Koub] I'm moving this to modding discussions, I think it's the most fitting place for the request and the potential discussion.
Also, for those who are curious to see what such a Factorio would look like, here's another post from OP, with screenshots : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=99587..
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Is it possible to work on graphics in real time?

Post by Klonan »

There is a hidden config item called `runtime-sprite-reload`,
IF set to true it should reload the sprites on the fly as they are modified

Return to “Modding discussion”