How to change entity before blueprinting

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
WildBraas
Inserter
Inserter

How to change entity before blueprinting

Post by WildBraas »

I want change some entity properties right before blueprinting, so this entity lay to blueprint with changes.
In event on_player_setup_blueprint I may access to entities, but its changing not stored in blueprint.
Has the way do something with it?

WildBraas
Inserter
Inserter

Re: How to change entity before blueprinting

Post by WildBraas »

The only one solution I made right now:
- get event.mapping
- get player.cursor_stack.get_blueprint_entities
- iterate mapping entities and change blueprint entities in same index praying for indexes is exactly similar.
- set blueprints entities back to cursor

This is working but seems shitty imho

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

You have found that the blueprint API only allows getting or setting the entire list of entities at once. That's how it's supposed to work.

I do this all the time when I want to change the name of the entity in the blueprint. As long as you're modifying entity subtables and not adding/subtracting from the number of entities, it's fine.

WildBraas
Inserter
Inserter

Post by WildBraas »

Indexes and values in tables event.mapping and player.cursor_stack.get_blueprint_entities is similar?

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

Yes, that's right: https://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/eve ... _blueprint
mapping :: LuaLazyLoadedValue(dictionary[uint → LuaEntity])

The blueprint entity index to source entity mapping. Note: if any mod changes the blueprint this will be incorrect.
It's not clear from the docs, but it seems to imply that if another mod's on_player_setup_blueprint code runs before yours, that the mapping might not be correct. I've never used the mapping table before, since I just read the entity name from the blueprint item entity list.

Return to “Modding discussion”