[Request] Train Tunnels

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Xeteth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[Request] Train Tunnels

Post by Xeteth »

I have no idea whether this is even possible with the current game but I am finding junctions extremely tedious in my world when it comes to handling large scale train systems.

I run a two-way rail system that is huge (no - extremely large!) with anywhere from 50-100 trains on it. The issue of blockages or very slow throughput systems comes when the trains have to 'cross' the other side of the two-way track to make a turn. I follow all the normal rules of rail systems (blocks have to be larger than longest train) however this means that usually there's a backlog of trains trying to get through.

This could all be easily changed if it were possible to run the trains 'under' the tracks (ie. tunnels) in a similar way that underground belts work. Is this something that could be possible in the current game?

provet
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [Request] Train Tunnels

Post by provet »

PLEASE post a picture of that train system!! I would really like to see it! :D Also I'd like for train tunnels to exist as well! However I see several problems with them that needs to be solved first!

problems:
  1. What happens if the train would run out of fuel while in a tunnel?
  2. What happens if to trains were to collide with each other inside a tunnel? (probably caused by faulty train logic)
  3. What would happen if the tunnel were incomplete or removed while a train is inside?
  4. if problem 1 and 2 were to happen, you would have no visual indication of this being the case (in your case you would have a hard time finding the problem with 50-100 trains on one system)
  5. What if you were riding a train that would stop in a tunnel?
otherwise,
+1
Last edited by provet on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dariel92
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dariel92 »

RU: Лично мне кажется что это было бы интересно, особенно если вспомнить мод добавляющий не проходимые участки типа стен или подобия гор, в комплекте с ним это было бы очень классно.
EN: I Personally think that would be interesting, especially if you remember a mod that adds not walkable areas like walls or similarity of the mountains, complete with him it would be very cool.

Zuzak
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zuzak »

A possible work around for the issues of what happens inside the tunnel could be delayed teleportation between two building entities.
One is entrance only, one is exit only. They use electicity when train passes through to make up for engine not using fuel ding 'passing'. Hard distance limit of 20.
Train might be needed to teleport in one go, so 'tunnel' ends would need to be at least 4-5 cars long.

Would this be simpler?
or
instead of two separate entities that need to be associated with each other, one single entity that looks like two entities.
or can visibility and collisions be toggled?

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

I consider this solution far superior
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 14&p=60264

regular tunnels "bend" the train underground at riddiculous angles and look fishy due to the 2D-ness of the engine.

Cloner
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cloner »

The lack of tunnels is the only thing that keeps me from continuing playing the game. I had a huge map full of rail network that I enjoyed, but unfortunately with increased number of trains it all gets blocked, and the game turns from fun experience to basically fixing the clogging of trains and finding nonexistent solutions to trains getting stuck. I do understand that the game is not about trains, but that’s exactly the part that I enjoy, and I think that many other players feel that way.
Having pre-signals wont fix the problem completely for my map, but having some sort of tunnels does. If the trains could pass over each other, I could create rail networks that don’t get clogged even without the need for pre signals.

FalcoGer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FalcoGer »

just give the trains more opportunities to run from one place to another. use train highways with several lanes. use the new chain signals to prevent trains blocking intersections. use better intersection designs where trains can leave early at a 90° angle or bypass a t-junction completely. why would a train need to cross an entire other railway just to turn around? just build your loop in front of that. I'm sure there is a solution to every problem. and if not, then just use less trains :P or an entirely different train network, connected by regular belts... or perhaps a train network

Kayser
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kayser »

It's clear that we need logistic robots that carry the equivalent of train car. Call it a Supply Barge. Runs on rocket fuel and fish.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”