Objective manager

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
y.petremann
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Objective manager

Post by y.petremann »

In scenarios we get the possibility to have objectives.
I really would like to have something to manage objectives in games where there is no objectives, my idea comes in two parts :
  • The objectives : They are not something you can fail but more something you can do.
    • Get X of resource
    • Produce X of resource
    • Get resource production going above X/s or X/m
    • Get technology
    • Deplete resources from vein
    • Don't get any destroyed thing in factory in delay (maintain factory integrity)
    • Don't get any bitters damages in factory in delay (get better defenses)
    • Don't get any bitters attacks in factory in delay (destroy bitters bases)
    • Plain string
    • Get technology
  • The manager : It would permit to add objectives.
    The objectives would comes in groups, once one group is beaten it would go to the next objective group, in a group you could put multiples objectives.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Objective manager

Post by ssilk »

Just stupid idea: How would it be to have items instead of code for that? Place new item called "ResourceObjective" and trigger it to "Display" by new circuit logic in promised 0.12. Then it will display a new objective to obtain X res. as configured and will automatically disappear, if reached. If all objectives of a group (you need a GroupObjective item for that), that disappears also. If all group objective items disappeared, mission succeeded. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

y.petremann
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by y.petremann »

ssilk wrote:Just stupid idea: How would it be to have items instead of code for that? Place new item called "ResourceObjective" and trigger it to "Display" by new circuit logic in promised 0.12. Then it will display a new objective to obtain X res. as configured and will automatically disappear, if reached. If all objectives of a group (you need a GroupObjective item for that), that disappears also. If all group objective items disappeared, mission succeeded. :)
I think that each objectives would not disapear but should return a tuple of values containing the display string and the complete value.
GroupObjectives would be more complex :
  • "and" GroupObjective (complete all task, to complete it)
  • "or" GroupObjective (complete only a task, to complete it)
  • "each" GroupObjective (each task completed would be removed, no need to have all of them completed at the same time, task list need to be empty to complete it)

UberWaffe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by UberWaffe »

I don't know how familiar the Hardcore-Quest-Mode mod from Minecraft is to you, but there are some really neat ideas in there that I feel would fit very well here.

In short something like this:
There can be 1 or more quest-lines, each with 1 or more quests, each with 1 or more objective-groups, and each objective-group has 1 or more objectives.
An objective-group is completed once all of its objectives are met. A quest is completed once all of its objective-groups are completed. A quest line is completed once all of its quests are completed.

Teams complete quests lines, and a team consists of 1 or more players.
Teams may be created dynamically, and players can join or leave dynamically.
(I.e. players can work together as teams, or work as individuals, but still against other teams if desired.)

Rewards can be granted on completion of a quest, and/or completion of a quest-line.
Rewards can be given to each individual in the team, and/or only to the team as a whole.
(I.e. you can give rewards (or not) as you choose per quest, and perhaps give major rewards per quest-line. It is up to you, and is flexible.)

Quest-lines, and quests and can start off invisible and/or locked, and can be revealed upon other quests or quest-lines being completed.
Quests or quest-lines can even be reset (i.e. you can complete it again), upon certain triggers (such as completing a quest or on a timer bases), and the reward received again.
(I.e. You can guide the players in what order they should do stuff in.)

Quest-lines, quests, objective-groups and objectives can all have descriptions.
(I.e. you can write a story that onfolds, or just guide the user in what they should do.)

Possible Objectives (in addition to what was already mentioned):
  • Hand in X amount of Y (i.e. the items dissapear upon being handed in.)
  • Be within X range of location Y.
  • Get entity X to location Y.
  • Kill X number of Y (Moving things)
  • Destroy X number of Y (Unmoving things)
  • Countdown timer of X ms expires (Can also be shown on screen).
  • Script event X occurs Y times, with result Z.
Possible Rewards (can consist of any combination or multiples of the following):
  • Nothing.
  • A text message, and/or audio.
  • Unlock a technology.
  • Receive X amount of Y item.
  • Spawn X entities at location Y.
  • Change pollution by X in area Y (positive numbers increase, negative numbers decrease).
  • Force attack from X:Y (min:max) critters in area Z. (Does not spawn, only uses if available.)
  • Trigger script event X, with parameters Y.
Other possible additions:
  • Allow questlines, quests, objective-groups, and objectives to define time limits.

For example:
One could make a questline that initially makes all technology unresearchable, but rather unlocks them based on quests in it being completed.
The quest-line can have multiple branches in its quests, going down different routes.
Quest objectives are not only to hand in items (such as science packs) but also kill critter nests at various locations, or scout (goto) certain locations.
And later transitions into countdown timers that announce large critter waves being spawn and attacking.
Last edited by UberWaffe on Thu May 07, 2015 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

y.petremann
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by y.petremann »

UberWaffe wrote:I don't know how familiar the Hardcore-Quest-Mode mod from Minecraft is to you, but there are some really neat ideas in there that I feel would fit very well here.

In short something like this:
There can be 1 or more quest-lines, each with 1 or more quests, each with 1 or more objective-groups, and each objective-group has 1 or more objectives.
An objective-group is completed once all of its objectives are met. A quest is completed once all of its objective-groups are completed. A quest line is completed once all of its quests are completed.

Teams complete quests lines, and a team consists of 1 or more players.
Teams may be created dynamically, and players can join or leave dynamically.
(I.e. players can work together as teams, or work as individuals, but still against other teams if desired.)

Rewards can be granted on completion of a quest, and/or completion of a quest-line.
Rewards can be given to each individual in the team, and/or only to the team as a whole.
(I.e. you can give rewards (or not) as you choose per quest, and perhaps give major rewards per quest-line. It is up to you, and is flexible.)

Quest-lines, and quests and can start off invisible and/or locked, and can be revealed upon other quests or quest-lines being completed.
(I.e. You can guide the players in what order they should do stuff in.)

Quest-lines, quests, objective-groups and objectives can all have descriptions.
(I.e. you can write a story that onfolds, or just guide the user in what they should do.)

Possible Objectives (in addition to what was already mentioned):
  • Hand in X amount of Y (i.e. the items dissapear upon being handed in.)
  • Be within X range of location Y.
  • Get entity X to location Y.
  • Kill X number of Y (Moving things)
  • Destroy X number of Y (Unmoving things)
  • Countdown timer of X ms expires (Can also be shown on screen).
  • Script event X occurs Y times, with result Z.
Possible Rewards (can consist of any combination or multiples of the following):
  • Nothing.
  • A text message, and/or audio.
  • Unlock a technology.
  • Receive X amount of Y item.
  • Spawn X entities at location Y.
  • Change pollution by X in area Y (positive numbers increase, negative numbers decrease).
  • Force attack from X:Y (min:max) critters in area Z. (Does not spawn, only uses if available.)
  • Trigger script event X, with parameters Y.
Other possible additions:
  • Allow questlines, quests, objective-groups, and objectives to define time limits.

For example:
One could make a questline that initially makes all technology unresearchable, but rather unlocks them based on quests in it being completed.
The quest-line can have multiple branches in its quests, going down different routes.
Quest objectives are not only to hand in items (such as science packs) but also kill critter nests at various locations, or scout (goto) certain locations.
And later transitions into countdown timers that announce large critter waves being spawn and attacking.
With what you ask, I see that we are more in the situation of a game master to choose the rules for a game, which is cool.
I'm more on the idea that we setup objectives to focus on them because we usually get into the situation that we need to do a lot of things for our factories and forget about them until it come again as critical.

SigmatroN
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SigmatroN »

I did something like that (although, on a basic level) in my pvp scenario. Feel free to start from there https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =36&t=9872

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”