Looking for a Modder

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Fiendix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Looking for a Modder

Post by Fiendix »

Hey guys, I'm Fiendix and I'm looking for a motivated modder. We will work together on a special project called "Sands Of Dysnomia".
More details on the Gigs can be found on my site:
https://www.sandsofdysnomia.com/mods

Be sure to have a quick look around to see if you are interested in the universe and feel free to contact me.

Here is my discord: https://discord.gg/NrwNMU

See you soon!

Fiendix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Looking for a Modder

Post by Fiendix »

Update:
Here are is the list with a small description, you can help out on one or all, pick and choose. But it must be professional, your best work.
Note that each mod deserves it's own documentation for better comprehension.

The list:

Map changes : Creeping desert is a mod that will changes all of the tiles of the map, bit by bit to sand. Spawning rocks and destroying trees. With a potential heat mechanic.
Crystal Spires is a bigger mod adding two types of resources to the map: Spires. One that grants a passive amount of energy and one is for weaponry. With effects on the landscape and cores (see below)

New mobs: Leechers: 3 new bitter types: Leechlings, Leechers and Leecher Matriarchs. Based off the Leecher family in SoD: https://www.sandsofdysnomia.com/leechings . All will have different functions.

Energy and production chains: Cores this one is a Biggy. Killing biters drops loot call cores. cores are an energy source. A entire production line for alternative power supply will be created here. From cores, to dust, to sand. Works extremely well with Spires mod for added benefits.

Through out the mods, New themed Armour, weaponry, buildings and technologies. Different recipes for laser turrets using cores, new zenith turrets and comparability will be paramount.

New player Looks: my universe is vast. And the engineer’s looks do get dull. I'll love to give him/her some love with a new look inspired by SoD's Tribes.

Note: most information on cores, tribes, spires, leechers etc can be found on my site.

I am open to input and I want the mods to be a collaboration between us, meaning we stay in touch and develop the projects.
I am sure we can find common ground on both of our needs (credits, collaborations, some form of payment, extra work, friendship, fun, etc)

Here is my Discord channel: https://discord.gg/MyB2JBr

Thank you, and see you soon.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

What kind of employment form and payment are you offering? Hourly wage or contract per mod developed? If payed per mod I would need to know the detailed requirements specification now to be able to estimate my development costs and decide for what price I would accept your offer.

I'm interested in the position as a professional mod programmer. My expertise is in software development. I have many years of experience of making mods for Factorio.
I'm not a graphics designer, not looking for a 3D modelling or photoshopping position. I can re-use existing assets for graphics of course. 'm good at writing code for dynamic rendering, graphics composition and visualisation to make new altered graphics if that's needed.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Fiendix wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:37 pm
Map changes : Creeping desert is a mod that will changes all of the tiles of the map, bit by bit to sand. Spawning rocks and destroying trees. With a potential heat mechanic.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/OnlyDesert
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/desert-planet
Fiendix wrote:
Crystal Spires is a bigger mod adding two types of resources to the map: Spires. One that grants a passive amount of energy and one is for weaponry. With effects on the landscape and cores (see below)
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/biter-spire
Fiendix wrote:
Energy and production chains: Cores this one is a Biggy. Killing biters drops loot call cores. cores are an energy source. A entire production line for alternative power supply will be created here. From cores, to dust, to sand. Works extremely well with Spires mod for added benefits.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/alien-module
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/SchallAlienLoot
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/AlienLootRevisited

maybe with https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ActivePro ... otingChest

Fiendix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Fiendix »

Thank you for the answers, and please excuse the late reply, it has been a busy week-end.

Firstly, thank you Darkfrei for your interest, however I don’t think you have understood what I'm trying to build.
Lets make it clear that I am not looking for mods.

(Even if I didn’t know about that "bitter spires" mod. Anyway my project is completely different. Oh and Darkfrei , I saw that "only desert" mod you just published ;) )

On the other hand, what i am hoping to find are people who would like to work with me on Sand of Dynomia. This leads me to you Qon.
If you are only Interested in money, then it will be a contract per mod. Payment can be done via paypal or by big tips in patreon and other sites. Keep in mind in this case you will be working for Sands of Dysnomia and communication between us is paramount. Your discretion on our projects as well.

Clearly I’m not here to con anyone as well.

Factorio is not the only game i want to mod. This means Qon if you a capable of adapting to other games, i would prefer working with the same people.
I'll contact you via Private message so we can keep discussing. Thank you for your time and interest.

If anyone else wants to know more. Just ask, I’m not a Biter ;)

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Well. If that was supposed to be a professional job offer i'd be interested too. My stance is similar to Qon. Interested in professional modding. Can do programming, technical documentation sure, graphics not so much.

Honestly "some form of payment" made it sound more like a hobby project. Like one of the many "please make this mod for free for me" posts around here. Given that mods are generally free in most games and the communities of many games have shown a strong aversion against payed modding in the past. And given the fact that even the most popular factorio mods like Bob's and Angel's don't create any relevant income for their creators: What is your expected source of revenue? Also how do you plan to create/procure the nessecary professional graphics assets? You said to Qon that it'd be a one-time contract, so how do you intend to handle maintenance when it becomes nessecary?
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

eradicator wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:33 am
Honestly "some form of payment" made it sound more like a hobby project. Like one of the many "please make this mod for free for me" posts around here.
Might have been a language barrier thing also. "Some form" sounded like it could mean to be through different types of channels, like Patreon or Paypal. Or it could be that if someone wanted to join the project and contribute for free but didn't have the experience to feel qualified to guarantee quality then OP would be open to work with him too?
I'm not sure what Fiendix actually meant, but I'm not assuming much and instead I'll see if we can agree on the payment I require for my services.
eradicator wrote:
Given that mods are generally free in most games and the communities of many games have shown a strong aversion against payed modding in the past.
Against what exactly? What is payed modding? There's a difference between modders paying modders for their help, and the payment from customers that pay to play the mod. I don't think any players dislike the thought of their mods being implemented professionally with comissioned art or code or other payed positions. I'm not selling a mod, I'm selling my skills, expertise and time as a professional software engineer. (Yes, I know this sentence I quoted is just prefacing the question of how to make money from the finished product)

And while paying for mods might be a bit harder subject, I think people are averse to bad business practises that might be associated with a payment based mod. It might be possible to sell mods to players in a way that people wouldn't mind. But I haven't even heard anything about Fiendix actually planning on making any money from the project yet, so speculating on how he expects to earn the money back is maybe pointless.
eradicator wrote:
You said to Qon that it'd be a one-time contract, so how do you intend to handle maintenance when it becomes nessecary?
I offer to do maintenance for mods commissioned from me for a limited time after release. The specific details would be worked out depending on what we agree to beforehand, depending on scope of mod and payment. I can of course offer to do additional extended maintenance work in the future with a new contract if it is wanted after the first one runs out. Or he can pay someone else to do it or something.

Most bug fixes are fairly light work in my experience, maintenance is simple and cheap if the mod is written well. Performance optimisations and new features are usually the source of new bugs, so if the contract runs out and no new features and big performance overhauls are comissioned then it can be expected to be fairly stable. Bugs are somewhat likely with unknown new mod interactions written in the future, but no big bugs just appear if the source isn't modified. So most problems with maintenance are solved by the fact that the mod is complete and finishes on release and when payment is done.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

@Fiendix invited questions about the project, so i'm not sure why *you* get defensive about this.
Qon wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:16 pm
Against what exactly? What is payed modding? There's a difference between modders paying modders for their help, and the payment from customers that pay to play the mod. I don't think any players dislike the thought of their mods being implemented professionally with comissioned art or code or other payed positions.
Might've been a bit unclear: Most people are not willing to pay themselfs on a per-mod basis, and the modportal does not offer any payment features. Not using the mod portal on the other hand severely reduces exposure. So to be financially successfull the project would need a different source of revenue. i was just wondering how @Fiendix intends to financially support what seems like a quite ambitious cross-game long-term project.
Qon wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:16 pm
But I haven't even heard anything about Fiendix actually planning on making any money from the project yet, so speculating on how he expects to earn the money back is maybe pointless.
I am not speculating. I asked a direct question to @Fiendix. Unless you want to call it "speculation" that i assume he's not just an altruist with too much money.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

eradicator wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:30 pm
@Fiendix invited questions about the project, so i'm not sure why *you* get defensive about this.

I am not speculating. I asked a direct question to @Fiendix. Unless you want to call it "speculation" that i assume he's not just an altruist with too much money.
Sorry, my intention wasn't to defend Fiendix from questioning or question your reasons for questioning Fiendix etc. I just wanted to share my perspective and thoughts on the matter :)
Not sure how to reword it so it doesn't come across the way you interpreted it, but that was not how I meant it. Please continue ;)

It was my own speculation on how it was funded I thought was pointless, not yours.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Qon wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:15 pm
Not sure how to reword it so it doesn't come across the way you interpreted it, but that was not how I meant it. Please continue ;)

It was my own speculation on how it was funded I thought was pointless, not yours.
I think that wording works just fine ;).

Fiendix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Fiendix »

Hey guys that escalated quickly.
Thank you ERADICATOR for your interest. I'm a fan of that hand crank mod.
Anyway, down to business.
As you said ERADICATOR, I'm open to questions.
Honestly "some form of payment" made it sound more like a hobby project. Like one of the many "please make this mod for free for me" posts around here. Given that mods are generally free in most games and the communities of many games have shown a strong aversion against paid modding in the past. And given the fact that even the most popular factorio mods like Bob's and Angel's don't create any relevant income for their creators
Lets be Clear. :)
Yes this is my hobby, Creating universes is a hobby.
Making Mods is a hobby for you.
If you are making money off a hobby good for you, I wish i could.

I not begging for a free mod.
Don't get me wrong, working with passionate people on Sands of Dysnomia (SoD) and receiving, for example, free mods would be the best plan. But lets face it, that's not going to happen. I desire a high quality product. And we all want money.
What I am buying is your skills.
Like an (unconventional) employer. Think of it like a paid commission.

"Some form of payment"
Exactly. May be i can offer you my creative mind, share my network, I can offer you a place to stay if you ever come to France, maybe you just need a friend? Maybe you want to unleash yourself in a creative fury, or maybe you just want money. They are all "some sort of payment".
What is your expected source of revenue?
I Have a job, how much payment are you expecting? Be realistic, you love the game as much as i do, lets find a path between passion and professionalism.
Also how do you plan to create/procure the necessary professional graphics assets?
How did / would you? I'll do them my self or find a modder that can do the graphics or graphics and code.

Maintenance is an other story. Some form of maintenance will be necessary for some time by the modder. A Deal will be stuck.
modportal does not offer any payment features.
There are sites that can help with that. Patreon, paypal, gift card on steam / blizzard if you are in to that... possibilities everywhere.
assume he's not just an altruist with too much money.
Paying a person for there time is not altruism. Creation is my passion, I don't have justify it. The point being that people buy video games, comics, music and other things. They are all passions, that does not make anyone an altruist.

I'm not just offering a gig, this is a chance to work on a bigger project. A paper RPG is in the making. A novel as well. Music is being created.
It will not stop there i tell you :)
I can't do everything personally.

Keep the questions coming :)

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Fiendix wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:33 pm
Keep the questions coming :)
How big must be this mod? New 10 recipes, 100, 1000?

Did you played Factorio up to rocket launch?

Fiendix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Fiendix »

The mods are all small i think. Like 20 recipes plus tech, all together. I'm still in the planing phase of the ideas.
Yeah I've finished vanilla and Krastorio2 and you?

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Fiendix wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:00 pm
The mods are all small i think. Like 20 recipes plus tech, all together. I'm still in the planing phase of the ideas.
Yeah I've finished vanilla and Krastorio2 and you?
Not sure :?
Alone Vanilla about 0.14 or 0.15, several times in multiplayer, maybe DyTech and early BobMod. Oh, Youki mod!
Than only mod creating and testing, not big play anymore.

Fiendix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Fiendix »

Hey guys!
I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you all for being interested!
I also wanted to say that i'm working on my side. I'm polishing my ideas. So that we can all get what we want.
I will keep this thread updated.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Ok. Sorry for being silent so far, i'm a bit busy myself right now ;).

Fiendix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Fiendix »

Yeah things happen

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”