[Request] Smart Rail which senses Cargo Wagon contents

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Request] Smart Rail which senses Cargo Wagon contents

Post by dee- »

Hello everybody.

The forum's search function did not give me results to my question if this mod request has already been stated so I go on and ask. ;)

How about some kind of "Smart Rails".

They are able to sense what is inside (a standing) cargo wagon and give this information to the red/green wire, just like a Smart Chest would do.
The behaviour is actually quite alike a smart chest with the differences
- the reported contents can change rapidly - empty if no cargo wagon is standing on the rails, and filled with whatever the cargo wagon has that is standing on it
- this chest itself has no items, it just pretends to have these items, because they are actually stored in the cargo wagon, but reports those to the red/green wire.

This could for exaple be used to fill supply wagons for remote outposts:
The smart inserters can check if the cargo wagon has all the needed items on board through the wires, and if not, can add more into the cargo wagon until their logic says it's enough. Useful for mixed transports without overfilling one item type.

Another idea would be to fully empty the locomotive while it is standing at the station, have the cargo wagon loaded as described above, when the contents reach the desired limit, have a smart inserter sense this and refuel the loco so it can resume to drive to the programmed stations or a nearly refuel station where the train is prepared for longer trips. This would allow dynamic schedules and trains to only drive when a logistics condition is met.

I made some small mockups :D

1) Smart Rail is free. It has a connection to the red wire. Maybe power supply is needed for the rail so it uses some energy.

2) Smart Rail has a cargo wagon on it. It reports the wagon's contents to the red/green wires.

So, what do you think?

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Request] Smart Rail which senses Cargo Wagon contents

Post by Choumiko »

Nice idea, but :D :
From the FFF #66
Other thing we are planning for 0.12 is the extension of the circuit network. The extension of the network usability is based on 3 things. a) More sensors b) More recievers. c) more options to manipulate the signal.

Sensors
train station sensor (sends items in the train in the station)
light/daytime sensor
accumulator capacity sensor
electric network energy sensor
enemy sensor
manual switch

Receivers
light, condition can be specified, can be colored depending the singal
gate
electric network switch, can disconnect segments of electric network based on signal condition.
pumps

To be able to manipulate the signal better, we will have a new piece called combinator. This piece will allow to do certain manipulations with the signal, like conditional statements or multiplications (simple linear combinations).
These features will be covered by Robert, our new programming reinforcement from Romania that will join our team at the beginning of February. He visited us month ago for a week, and the circuit network extension was his test task. He made a prototype of light-based progress bar indicator of the amount of items in the chest. In that moment, my head exploded from the possibilities it can bring. This will enhance the possibilities in Factorio by A LOT. I can't wait to get my hands on it when its done.
We better stop reporting MP-bugs, so that 0.12 comes sooner :twisted:
Until 0.12. gets real, maybe SmartTrains is something for you. Development is stopped right now, because of FARL taking up my time :D

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

Yeah, 0.12. ...
Another pack of bug fixes, none of them related to multiplayer yet.
:shock:

seems like we get a couple more releases before they touch the logistics part (no problem with this, things simply take time).

Let's see how the Combinator will turn out. Any concepts on this?

So I think my mod request is still valid :)

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

dee- wrote:Let's see how the Combinator will turn out. Any concepts on this?

So I think my mod request is still valid :)
I guess/hope the combinator will be some type of entity with different connections for logic wires and an ui to choose and/or/nand/xor/.. :D

Valid, usefull and (probably) not that hard. I'm not gonna do it though :D

gnz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gnz »

dee- wrote:So I think my mod request is still valid :)
I largely agree. I've been thinking of doing some sensor packs so I toyed around with this and have it working as a prototype. I'll put it in the WIP section in a couple of hours. This would probably be a stop-gap until 0.12 but as that it's fine.

gnz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gnz »

dee- wrote:Hello everybody.

The forum's search function did not give me results to my question if this mod request has already been stated so I go on and ask. ;)

How about some kind of "Smart Rails".

They are able to sense what is inside (a standing) cargo wagon and give this information to the red/green wire, just like a Smart Chest would do.
The behaviour is actually quite alike a smart chest with the differences
- the reported contents can change rapidly - empty if no cargo wagon is standing on the rails, and filled with whatever the cargo wagon has that is standing on it
- this chest itself has no items, it just pretends to have these items, because they are actually stored in the cargo wagon, but reports those to the red/green wire.

This could for exaple be used to fill supply wagons for remote outposts:
The smart inserters can check if the cargo wagon has all the needed items on board through the wires, and if not, can add more into the cargo wagon until their logic says it's enough. Useful for mixed transports without overfilling one item type.

Another idea would be to fully empty the locomotive while it is standing at the station, have the cargo wagon loaded as described above, when the contents reach the desired limit, have a smart inserter sense this and refuel the loco so it can resume to drive to the programmed stations or a nearly refuel station where the train is prepared for longer trips. This would allow dynamic schedules and trains to only drive when a logistics condition is met.

I made some small mockups :D

1) Smart Rail is free. It has a connection to the red wire. Maybe power supply is needed for the rail so it uses some energy.

2) Smart Rail has a cargo wagon on it. It reports the wagon's contents to the red/green wires.

So, what do you think?

Here is the pre-release version of the mod.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

Totally awesome!
Amazed how quick you did it

Gave the mod a very short test-ride, see the mod's page.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

I would like to see a "scale"-type sensor (says how much the wagon is full, but not what's in)
I guess that one could make it easier in the main game

gnz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gnz »

MF- wrote:I would like to see a "scale"-type sensor (says how much the wagon is full, but not what's in)
I guess that one could make it easier in the main game
Fair enough. It's not perfect since the way items stack etc in the game but I've added that as a metaitem to the rail sensors.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”