Empty-inventory-slot reader

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Empty-inventory-slot reader

Post by Honktown »

darkfrei wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:59 am
Honktown wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:48 am
I don't know if you mean that I didn't read instructions, or are you asking about the mod?
I can expect that players, that have downloaded your mod, haven't read any tutorial how to use this mod.
There's not much to it. There are two drop-downs, one has numbers, the other, options. I use the localised strings for the labels on the top boxes. I added a picture to the gallery, the third one. If people try to see why it's "not working" and click on a train stop or combinator, it will show up in the box. Once they have both clicking the check will work. I wouldn't call it obvious, but it's not a complicated mod. The only thing is CTRL-R brings up the interface. That's in the keyboard options, too, and is in the first line in my description.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

darkfrei wrote:
Honktown wrote:
I don't know if you mean that I didn't read instructions, or are you asking about the mod?
I can expect that players, that have downloaded your mod, haven't read any tutorial how to use this mod.
Train construction site has an interesting way to cope with this. It provides an item "Trainbuilder manual"; right-click it, and you will get the documentation:
manual.png
manual.png (2.95 MiB) Viewed 1160 times
That's clearly not something I'd expect in an alpha version of the mod (downloaded, but didn't test it yet -- comments will follow), but might be a good idea for later versions, if using the mod shouldn't be intuitive.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

Pi-C wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:16 am
darkfrei wrote:
Honktown wrote:
Train construction site has an interesting way to cope with this. It provides an item "Trainbuilder manual"; right-click it, and you will get the documentation:
manual.png
That's clearly not something I'd expect in an alpha version of the mod (downloaded, but didn't test it yet -- comments will follow), but might be a good idea for later versions, if using the mod shouldn't be intuitive.
MAKE SURE YOU UPDATE. There's a log print every time a train enters a station in the XX.1 versions, which I took down.

Some "tutorial" thing would be a good idea. I'd probably do it dumbly: add a button with a question mark on it, which opens up a new frame with an image in it. There's only a few steps that can be explained in pictures.

If you have some way to test the performance, I'd like to hear about it. I tried to optimize it in various ways (including pestering not one, but at least two developers and a forum moderator in the process, lol). A baseline is on my computer, checking the inventory of a 65530 slot chest was ~130 milliseconds, and that was only iterating the inventory, doing nothing. There might be one or two ways I can speed it up, but yeah alpha mod and all that. I should probably add a one-time check so if a train is in the station, the combinator immediately starts outputting. There's a cute little message that prints, but a train has to enter a station before the combinator starts.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Honktown wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:11 am
darkfrei wrote:
Honktown wrote:
There's not much to it. There are two drop-downs, one has numbers, the other, options. I use the localised strings for the labels on the top boxes. I added a picture to the gallery, the third one. If people try to see why it's "not working" and click on a train stop or combinator, it will show up in the box. Once they have both clicking the check will work. I wouldn't call it obvious, but it's not a complicated mod. The only thing is CTRL-R brings up the interface. That's in the keyboard options, too, and is in the first line in my description.
You need a dependency of this mod: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Ability_to_Read

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

steinio wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:07 pm
You need a dependency of this mod: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Ability_to_Read
:idea:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=80963

"how2use mod"
"did you check the help?"
"no"
thread trashed
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”