How to make construction bots invincible?

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Dragony
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

How to make construction bots invincible?

Post by Dragony »

Hello,

I find it heavily annoying that I am losing construction bots in my outposts every minute because they get shot down by spitting bugs when they are repairing the defense towers. It is always the same procedure. Spitters attack towers, bots fly to towers very fast, bot is killed within 2 seconds. Another bot comes, dies, comes, dies, etc. I tend to lose up to 10 bots per attack wave. It was not very bad when I haven't had very fast bot speed researched, but now they reach the towers before the bugs have died, causing the mentioned annoyance.

The thing even more annoying is that I get the alarming beep-sound, making me check what important essential defense structure I just have lost, just to find out that its just another stupid robot. I had to disable the alarm sound because its so fricking annoying!

I haven't find a mod addressing this issue so I wonder how you all cope with that problem. Either a mod making the bots invincible to spitters, or making them not BRAINDEAD (but seriously, I have given up hope that this will happen any time anymore in this game for a long time already.)

So... any mod out there?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How to make construction bots invincible?

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Moving this to Request for mods : Can't be done in vanilla, and apart mods that improve fire or explosion resistances, I couldn't find any either.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

billbo99
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by billbo99 »

Have you looked at .. https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Repair_Turret .. to support repairing your walls ?

You could also take a copy of .. https://mods.factorio.com/mod/fireproof-bots .. and edit the resistances in the file "data-final-fixes.lua"

If you want to stick with robots, look at the placement of the construction zones, make sure they dont go past where you want the bots to repair.
Also look at using logistic bridges, this is where two supply zones are separated by a single tile and you have logistics chests move resources from one network to another depending on what its short on. Be careful with your networks, bots will take the shortest route to get from A to B, even if that means flying over some biter nests. Smart placements of segregated logistics networks can force the bots to stay behind your walls.

billbo99
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by billbo99 »

Not near factorio to test this currently, but this code snippet should work in the "data-final-fixes.lua" file.

Code: Select all

local resistances = {"fire", "physical", "explosion", "acid", "impact", "laser"}
for _, bot in pairs(data.raw["construction-robot"]) do
	bot.resistances = bot.resistances or {}
	for _, resistance in pairs(resistances) do
		if bot.resistances[resistance] then
			bot.resistances[resistance].percent = 100
		else
			table.insert(bot.resistances, {type = resistance, percent = 100})
		end
	end
end

Dragony
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dragony »

Thank you very much. I managed to modify the fireproof mod to make them immune to acid.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Dragony wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:10 pm
Thank you very much. I managed to modify the fireproof mod to make them immune to acid.
It must be just

Code: Select all

table.insert(data.raw["construction-robot"]["construction-robot"].resistances, {type = "acid", decrease = 3, percent = 85})

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”