SR-latch

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Dragonling
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

SR-latch

Post by Dragonling »

I have searched over the requests, and haven't found this one.

A Set-Reset Latch is a circuit network item, that starts emitting a signal when a "set" event (logical condition) occurs, and stops emitting the signal only when a "reset" event occurs. One of the obvious applications is using this contraption to turn on steam generator reserve when accumulators' energy level is 1% or less, and turn them off, when accumulators charge up to, say, 20% (this allows to avoid flickering). But it has much more uses than just that example.

It is common knowledge, that a Set-Reset Latch can be implemented with 3 combinators, as per the Cookbook. However, not every player is skilled enough to understand, how it works and is built (my personal case: coop with family). Also, not every player can understand English enough to read the Cookbook.

Would someone, please, implement SR-latch as a simple to use single item?

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: SR-latch

Post by brunzenstein »

https://youtu.be/vEOXGBYR6oM
Its in plain English and easy to understand, follow and use therefore easily

planetmaker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by planetmaker »

My suggestion: create a blueprint for the SR latch and share it with those people (e.g. your family).

Of course, switching on backup power, is the most obvious use, it is not common enough to warrant a special item for that in the vanilla game IMHO (maybe one can make a mod to create such item - then you could use that mod).

Dragonling
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dragonling »

planetmaker wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:10 am
(maybe one can make a mod to create such item - then you could use that mod).
Well, yes, let's hope for that. After all, I am posting this request in the forum branch called "Ideas and requests for mods".
I am thankful for everyone trying to help me by suggesting workarounds, but I am looking for anyone with goodwill to make the quality of life mod, which will not require additional actions or special knowledge.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

planetmaker wrote:
My suggestion: create a blueprint for the SR latch and share it with those people (e.g. your family).

Of course, switching on backup power, is the most obvious use, it is not common enough to warrant a special item for that in the vanilla game IMHO (maybe one can make a mod to create such item - then you could use that mod).
Not common had me chuckle.
Every single of my production lines is behind an sr-latch, with delayed off timer to clean belts before turning off power.
Then again I'm probably the minority enjoy fine tuning automation with combinators.

Having a dedicated latch combinator instead of two could reduce my combinator count a fair bit.

planetmaker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by planetmaker »

Optera wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:59 am
planetmaker wrote:

Not common had me chuckle.
Every single of my production lines is behind an sr-latch, with delayed off timer to clean belts before turning off power.
Then again I'm probably the minority enjoy fine tuning automation with combinators.

Having a dedicated latch combinator instead of two could reduce my combinator count a fair bit.
On the chance to have this going a bit off-topic: Agreed, yes. Arguably there are playstyles and setups where they are common (and I find them quite a commodity use them for power and situations like you describe myself). Yet... I doubt that qualifies as 'majority of players use it and need it'.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Dragonling wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:37 am
Well, yes, let's hope for that. After all, I am posting this request in the forum branch called "Ideas and requests for mods".
I am thankful for everyone trying to help me by suggesting workarounds, but I am looking for anyone with goodwill to make the quality of life mod, which will not require additional actions or special knowledge.
This entity must be at least 2x2, maybe 3x3 tiles, one edge as R, the second as S, another two edges are output values with Q and not(Q).
If any on S, then Q is same as S, nothing on not(Q) and holding this value;
when any on R then nothing on Q, but not(Q) has the value of R;
if nothing on S and R then hold the value;
if both S AND R then Q and not(Q) are nothing.

It can be done with two lamps as input, two constant combinators as output and control.lua calculations on each tick;
or as hidden arithmetic and decider combinators without control.lua on tick, just on entity placing.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Performance of any lua scripted combinator will be magnitudes worse than dedicated circuit logic.
Especially if all an sr latch requires is 2-3 combinators. Personally I prefer the 3 combinator variant with one decider set to if R == 0 then everything = 1 and dedicated combinators to trigger set and reset signals as those are easier to set up for multiple set and reset conditions and also easier to check remotely.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Reading this through I thought of this:
A mod that packs a number of (hidden) combinators into one entity with a nice user interface.

For example the SR-Latch:
The entity you can place has three inputs: low, high and value and an output. Or instead a second variant: One value-input, and an output and a user-interface to filter the input (optional) and set low/high and the output item.
Internally - when you place that item - it places some combinators and cables them together - totally invisible. It places three combinators: one with the input and the low value to fire the R-signal, one with the input and the high value to fire S signal and one with the memory cell and input form first and second combinator. What you see is just somthing like a combinator with three inputs and one output. If you hover over the item it can explain you how it is intended to work.

Or a timer: One input with optional filter for pulse or hold, an output for current counts of items or on/off.
And again, internally the mod places 5 or 6 combinators, cables all together and sets the right values into the combinators.

Think about the possibilities: instead of creating "universal" combinator-layouts (e.g. you need to set the filtered item only once with a combinator), you can specialize the design of the circuit, because when you place it, it fills out the needed placeholders (items, numbers, sub-circuits) for you.

The advantage would be, that this uses the (fast) internal circuit logic, but enables to create really complex things. Think for example to a state machine for the recursive blueprint mod, that is able to scan revealed underground for resources and build complete outpost out of nothing.

Ahmmm... what's missing then? An editor to create circuits.
Like this: https://resources.jointjs.com/demos/logic

BTW: I looked a bit deeper into that link: fascinating how simple it should be to create a factorio circuit editor. Or if I had a wish: That would be one of those things, that could add veeeerry much game to factorio: An editor, where you can create logic circuits (as described above), and where you can test it (random input, power loss etc.) and then put them together into one circuit as a new circuit-element. It would be a bit like blueprints for circuits.

Hmmmmm. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

It's something like hysteresis combinator, that works like
If input_signal is more than maximum_value than switch the output and it will be switched back only when the input_signal will be lower than minimum_value.

Internal:
One constant combinator with two virtual signals: minimum_value, maximum_value;
one lamp(?) entity as input signal placeholder. Another lamp as output signal placeholder.

DRE
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DRE »

Hi guys.

I am currently working on such mod. It is in a very rare state yet, I only wrote basic APIs and a little very crude proof of concept.

It should be very UPS friendly, just like vanilla combinators _except_ maybe during building as it involves some relatively heavy computations.

There will be API so community can create own combined combinators using Composite Combinators Core mod as a dependency.

API call to Core mode will, roughly, looks like this:

Code: Select all

function RegisterEntities()
	remote.call(
		"Composite-Combinators-Core", "registerCompositeCombinatorPrototype", "euc-distinct-constant-combinator", 2, { x = 0, y = 0 }, 
		"item-with-tags$composite-combinator-io-marker$item$constant-combinator$)1$2$4$0$in@1(3$4$44$131330$1[item@red-wire@1[item@construction-robot@2[(3$4$46$131074$1[item@green-wire@1[item@construction-robot@1[()01$131073$65537(00$196609$65537(01$65538$65537(00$65539$65537(",
		false
	)

end
There is a tool that generates string for components layout inside of a composite combinator.

Attachment shows the mod in its current state. Distinct Composite Constant Combinator has two connections to two very tiny constant combinators, allowing to transmit different signals on different wires, as the first and simplest Composite Combinator.
CompositeCombinatorsCore_Base.png
CompositeCombinatorsCore_Base.png (486.03 KiB) Viewed 10304 times
CompositeCombinatorsCore_Base2.png
CompositeCombinatorsCore_Base2.png (650.72 KiB) Viewed 10304 times
To add own component that can be placed inside of combined combinators, code is a bit more complicated
Constant combinator as a component

Code: Select all

-- entity -> string 
	constantCombinatorSerialize = function(entity)
		if entity == nil then
            return nil
        end

local beh = entity.get_control_behavior()

local str = ((beh.enabled and 1) or 0)..(baseConst.strBoundary2)

for _,signals in pairs(beh.parameters) do
			for _,signal in pairs(signals) do
				if signal.signal.name then
					str = str..(signal.signal.type)..(baseConst.strBoundary1)..(signal.signal.name)..(baseConst.strBoundary1)..(signal.count)..(baseConst.strBoundary2)
				end
			end
        end

return str
	end,

-- string -> slots 
	constantCombinatorConvert = function(str, slots, nextSlot)
		if slots == nil then
            return nil
        end

local count = 0

local spl = split3(str, baseConst.strBoundary2)
		local enabled = tonumber(spl[1])

spl[1] = nil

for _,node in pairs(spl) do 
			count = count + 1
		end

local signalType
		local signalName
		local signalCount

count = bit32.lshift(count, 16) + enabled

slots[nextSlot] = { signal = baseConst.specialSignal, count = count, index = nextSlot }
		nextSlot = nextSlot + 1

for _,node in pairs(spl) do 
			if node ~= nil then
				local subnodes = split3(node, baseConst.strBoundary1)
				signalType = subnodes[1]
				if not signalType then break end
				signalName = subnodes[2]
				if signalType == '' then
					enabled = subnodes[2]
					break
				end
				signalCount = subnodes[3]
				slots[nextSlot] = { signal = { type = signalType, name = signalName }, count = signalCount, index = nextSlot }
				nextSlot = nextSlot + 1
				-- game.players[1].print("viSig: "..signalName..' T '..signalType..' C '..count..' I '..nextSlot)
			end
		end

return nextSlot
	end,

-- slots -> spawn
    constantCombinatorOnSpawn = function(entity, slots, nextSlot, slotsToRead)
        if entity == nil then
            return nil
        end

local beh = entity.get_control_behavior()

if slots[nextSlot].signal.name ~= baseConst.specialSignal.name then
			error('Corrupted data')
		end

local enabled = tonumber(bit32.band(slots[nextSlot].count, 0xFFFF))
		local count = tonumber(bit32.band(bit32.rshift(slots[nextSlot].count, 16), 0xFFFF))
		-- game.players[1].print("ENA~"..enabled)
		beh.enabled = enabled == 1 and true or false
        nextSlot = nextSlot + 1

local i = 1

local params = { }
        while i<count do 
			if slots[nextSlot].signal.name == baseConst.specialSignal.name then
				break
			end
			local ins = { count = tonumber(slots[nextSlot].count), index = i, signal = slots[nextSlot].signal }
            table.insert(params, ins)
            nextSlot = nextSlot + 1
			i = i + 1
        end
		beh.parameters = {parameters = params} 

-- game.players[1].print("SIGSS: "..inspect(beh.parameters)..' to '..entity.name)
		return nextSlot
    end

remote.call("Composite-Combinators-Core", "registerComponentPrototype", "constant-combinator", "composite-combinator-constant-component", 17, 
        { 
            defines.circuit_connector_id.constant_combinator 
        }, 
        {
            interface = "Composite-Combinators-Base",
            method = "constantCombinatorSerialize"
        },
        {
            method = "constantCombinatorConvert"
        },
        {
            method = "constantCombinatorSpawn"
        }
    )
I also plan to create APIs for editing layout and settings of existing placed composite combinators, to react on custom composite combinator GUI interaction for example.
Last edited by DRE on Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DRE
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DRE »

S-R latch would be very easy to add there, that what I meant. :D

Cribbit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cribbit »

I feel like I'm dumb. Can't you do this with a single combinator? Wire output back to input. That's how I've always done it.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Cribbit wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:12 pm
I feel like I'm dumb. Can't you do this with a single combinator? Wire output back to input. That's how I've always done it.
The latch itself needs only one combinator, but you need at least another one providing the reset condition for it.

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

Perhaps there is something I'm not understanding, but is this not a SR-latch?

https://wiki.factorio.com/Power_switch

Cribbit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cribbit »

thereaverofdarkness wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:52 pm
Perhaps there is something I'm not understanding, but is this not a SR-latch?

https://wiki.factorio.com/Power_switch
An SR latch is a mechanism that toggles when an input crosses a threshold, and does not toggle back until crossing a separate threshold.

The common example in Factorio is steam storage for nuclear power. You want to insert fuel when the tanks go below 10k steam, but if you simply have the inserters turn on at 10k steam the delay in steam production from that fuel means many cells will be inserted before steam goes above 10k again and the inserters turn off. Instead, an SR latch means you can pulse once when steam crosses below 10k, and then do nothing until steam rises above 15k. Only after the steam rises again is the latch reset, so that the next time it drops the cycle repeats.

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

Dragonling wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:03 am
Would someone, please, implement SR-latch as a simple to use single item?
I think the power switch should have an optional SR mode.

In the normal mode, it always reads the signal and updates immediately as soon as it changes.
In the SR mode, it has two conditions, an on condition and an off condition. If neither condition is met, it remains in whichever position it was last in.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”