Wider quickbar

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
radi0n
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Wider quickbar

Post by radi0n »

Hello,

I was looking but I can't find a mod that would enlarge the quickbar. Is he somewhere like that?
Attachments
factorio_iJJhvfflie.jpg
factorio_iJJhvfflie.jpg (325.19 KiB) Viewed 3479 times

MisterFister
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Wider quickbar

Post by MisterFister »

Pity that no one responded, this seems like it could turn into a nice idea.

I can imagine that this feature could be balanced with research unlocks to prevent it from being OP. Maybe restrict the player to a single stock-width bar at start (only one bar, no access to the vanilla 10), red unlocks a second row. Green unlocks some extra width, etc.

It would be great if the user's layout were also shareable as a hotbar string of some kind. Obviously those strings would either not be readable in a stock install (15 slots of data when vanilla only supports 10?) or maybe set an in-game modded toggle to export vanilla-formatted strings.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

MisterFister wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:50 am
Pity that you didn't use the forum search.

For the future reader who did get here by searching: The API doesn't support vanilla GUI changes. And even if someone wanted to implement it from scratch the API isn't sufficient to make it look or feel as good as vanilla.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

MisterFister
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MisterFister »

eradicator wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:37 pm
MisterFister wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:50 am
Pity that you didn't use the forum search.

For the future reader who did get here by searching: The API doesn't support vanilla GUI changes. And even if someone wanted to implement it from scratch the API isn't sufficient to make it look or feel as good as vanilla.
I browsed and surfed into this thread from glancing at the first few pages of forum titles. I clicked on the ones that seemed interesting. This was one. I commented to the OP something that I still think is an honest statement. I guess you didn't approve of my sentiment. I'll bear your advice in mind, however.

leopoldkabouter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by leopoldkabouter »

+1
It would be nice to be able to choose a width for the Quickbar. Having a single row that is 40 wide beats having four rows of ten imho.

raditz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by raditz »

+1 Crazy it's still not in the game, should be and should always have been a core feature.

r3nt5ch3r
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by r3nt5ch3r »

Mod that could help in your case: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Placeables

raditz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by raditz »

r3nt5ch3r wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2024 1:23 pm
Mod that could help in your case: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Placeables
Seen this but not good enough and not serving my purpose, which is, a much wider action bar, maybe even a one-width on the left and right of the screen, ideally organizable / movable e.g. like in WoW.
I'm wondering if theoretically this was possible by modding (I guess not, otherwise it would be a thing already).
New to the game, just bought it and this is the most (if not the only) annoying thing...
Also not sure if any mod turns off the achievements or just particular ones so... Ehh.

zerwiport
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zerwiport »

I've just started working on that. My current working status on the photo. What I still don't know how to do is placing blueprints in my quickbar but there is a bonus and you can place custom tools from shortcuts. Before releasing I want to improve it a bit but in the attachment there is the current version. To create new "toolbar" configure mod binding.
09-11-2024, 11-11-45.png
09-11-2024, 11-11-45.png (11.13 MiB) Viewed 776 times
Attachments
interface-mod_1.0.0.zip
(16.6 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

r3nt5ch3r
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by r3nt5ch3r »

zerwiport wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:17 am
I've just started working on that. My current working status on the photo. What I still don't know how to do is placing blueprints in my quickbar but there is a bonus and you can place custom tools from shortcuts. Before releasing I want to improve it a bit but in the attachment there is the current version. To create new "toolbar" configure mod binding.
09-11-2024, 11-11-45.png
Interesting mod idea. Some feedback:
1. Give this mod a more specific name. "interface-mod" is way too generic.
2. Move the transparency effect to another mod, so everyone can use it optionally based on preference (or make it configurable).
3. I would like to have a snapping function for the windows, so that the toolbars can be easier aligned on pixel-accuracy.
4. If you make a toolbar smaller the items inside get immediately removed. I think it's much better if they are persisted.
5. The smallest toolbar should be 1x1, currently you can do 0x0 which doesn't make much sense.
6. Maybe add another button/shortcut for collapsing/expanding the toolbar header (and/or the toolbar items itself).
I would like to have a global shortcut which locks all toolbars at once and make them as small as possible.
Because after I have placed them, I don't need to modify them so often (reminds me of the windows taskbar...).
7. By removing rows/columns you can get different results, since a row with 0 columns is handled differently than a non-existing row. So at the end you can build something like that (first two rows have only two columns; other rows have seven columns):
grafik.png
grafik.png (116.51 KiB) Viewed 731 times
8. I got a crash, but unable to reproduce what I did (maybe it was my fault because I was changing the code and playing around with blueprints...):
Error while running event interface-mod::on_gui_click (ID 1)
Gui element with name empty_6 already present in the parent element.
stack traceback:
[C]: in function '__newindex'
__interface-mod__/model/slot/State.lua:92: in function 'updateName'
__interface-mod__/model/slot/State.lua:51: in function 'create'
__interface-mod__/model/slot/states/Empty.lua:18: in function 'create'
__interface-mod__/model/slot/Slot.lua:20: in function 'create'
__interface-mod__/model/Table.lua:59: in function 'addColumn'
__interface-mod__/model/Toolbar.lua:85: in function 'addColumn'
__interface-mod__/model/Header.lua:57: in function 'execute'
__interface-mod__/model/Header.lua:43: in function 'handle'
__interface-mod__/model/Toolbar.lua:72: in function 'handle'
__interface-mod__/control.lua:14: in function <__interface-mod__/control.lua:11>
9. You can place blueprints from the inventory which is buggy.
It seems blueprints from the library are not well supported in the API, so I would propose to explicitly exclude blueprints to be used.
viewtopic.php?t=88185
viewtopic.php?t=109883
viewtopic.php?t=90536

zerwiport
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zerwiport »

That's why I haven't released it yet. I know all the issues and have same or similar ideas but it takes time to implement it. :) Nevertheless thanks for the feedback, it's valuable to know that people have the same needs.

raditz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by raditz »

zerwiport wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:41 pm
That's why I haven't released it yet. I know all the issues and have same or similar ideas but it takes time to implement it. :) Nevertheless thanks for the feedback, it's valuable to know that people have the same needs.
Very promising - thanks for doing this (and for sharing), hope it will be something awesome. Don't want to be pushy by asking when, just curious. Ehhehehe.

zerwiport
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zerwiport »

Probably week or two for limited version which addresses most of above concernes and then I will be adding improvements. I can't push it to early because I don't want to do migrations so base need to be stable.

kid2407
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kid2407 »

zerwiport wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:49 pm
I can't push it to early because I don't want to do migrations so base need to be stable.
A wise choice.

zerwiport
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zerwiport »

New version for beta testers. ;)

What I plan to do more before releasing is:
- locked/edit modes: In locked mode all irrelevant buttons will be hidden and if there is only a single section, it's header will be hidden as well.
- support cut-paste tools and empty planners
Attachments
interface-mod_1.0.0.zip
(36.98 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Zrzut ekranu 2024-09-17 132045.png
Zrzut ekranu 2024-09-17 132045.png (9.12 MiB) Viewed 411 times

zerwiport
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zerwiport »

Lock and unlock added. Some more testing and ready for release.
Attachments
2024-09-17 173516.png
2024-09-17 173516.png (18.29 KiB) Viewed 384 times
2024-09-17 173349.png
2024-09-17 173349.png (9.04 KiB) Viewed 384 times
2024-09-17 173119.png
2024-09-17 173119.png (40.53 KiB) Viewed 384 times
2024-09-17 173125.png
2024-09-17 173125.png (27.24 KiB) Viewed 384 times
interface-mod_1.0.0.zip
(41.55 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

zerwiport
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zerwiport »

The result of the next iteration where I concentrated on making it minimalistic. Feedback after playing with it is more than welcome.
09-18-2024, 16-23-38.png
09-18-2024, 16-23-38.png (262.06 KiB) Viewed 309 times
09-18-2024, 16-23-53.png
09-18-2024, 16-23-53.png (280.02 KiB) Viewed 309 times
Attachments
interface-mod_1.0.0.zip
(39.74 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

r3nt5ch3r
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by r3nt5ch3r »

- Right clicking a cell with nothing selected will lead to a crash
grafik.png
grafik.png (80.47 KiB) Viewed 235 times
- I would like to see a confirmation popup instead of the confirmation-buttons, which requires direct blocking feedback (because the confirmation buttons won't go away on any other action). Also when switching into locked-mode while having confirmation buttons visible, then press decline, you will get the remove-button in locked-mode (inconsistent behavior).
grafik.png
grafik.png (5.21 KiB) Viewed 235 times
- The plus/minus symbols are barely visible
grafik.png
grafik.png (1.65 KiB) Viewed 235 times
- In locked mode maybe also make the sectionname-textfield read-only (or just display as plain text, if this looks cleaner)?
- Maybe do the amount of columns per window and not per section (not really required since i can work around that)?
I would like to have a consistent look like this:
grafik.png
grafik.png (17.87 KiB) Viewed 235 times
Instead of empty cells:
grafik.png
grafik.png (21.33 KiB) Viewed 235 times
- Hide the sectionname-textfield if no name was given (only in locked-mode)?
- Make this whole configuration exportable/importable?
- Window snapping?

zerwiport
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zerwiport »

Thanks for the great feedback.

1. Easy fix for right click.
2. My first idea was a popup but it's harder to implement, probably will do it in the future.
3. Yes those button are not best, still thinking about dynamic resizing but it also has its drawbacks.
4. Was thinking about turning texfield into label but need to play with it to see if it's really better, for the first realease it's good enough.
5. Number of columns is not that obvious. Now you get resizing for free when you collapse big section. What I want to do for now is to make it look better is making a background with inactive slots like in logistics/crafting panel. It takes more time then programming. :)
6. Definitely there will be exporting feature, I've been exploring that recently also I want to save any change you make to per player settings to have ready panels in the next game. But for sure not in the first realease.
7. What I added is keeping toolbar within the screen from left and top because it was easy to implement, later I want to add it for right and bottom but it requires calculating sizes of a toolbar. If you want to snap them next to each other maybe in the further future, now I concentrate on functionalities.

How is the general feeling? Useful? Convenient? What you place in them? Can you paste your setup?

r3nt5ch3r
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by r3nt5ch3r »

zerwiport wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:50 pm
How is the general feeling? Useful? Convenient? What you place in them? Can you paste your setup?
I like it a lot and will use it when Space Age is out.
Usually i'm playing with 6-8 active quickbars, which is taking up a lot of central space on the screen.
The standard quick bar would still contain items which i need all to the time, so I can access them easily with number keys.

Im currently not actively playing, but in Vanilla I would probably do the grouping something like that:
grafik.png
grafik.png (3.33 MiB) Viewed 162 times
And regarding layouting I would probably fill the borders first:
grafik.png
grafik.png (4.49 MiB) Viewed 162 times
Or like that - I can't decide. This will evolve over time:
grafik.png
grafik.png (471.84 KiB) Viewed 162 times
Another feature request: to make this a real "wider quickbar" (like the thread title says) I would prefer to another global shortcut, to hide also the window header. Also the border should perfectly match the standard quickbar, so that perfect aligning like that would be possible:
grafik.png
grafik.png (147.06 KiB) Viewed 162 times

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”