Avoid Ore Overlapping

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
BohemianCorporal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Avoid Ore Overlapping

Post by BohemianCorporal »

Well, first at all I've recently registered to the forum.
And the first topic I would like to talk is about a mod for avoiding Ore Overlapping.
I've installed all Bob's mods and angel's mods (and pymods but it didn't work idk why). And when I tried to start a new map I always had the problem of Overlapped ores, I have like 20 ores to deal with and having this issue always bother me. Isn't there a mod for avoiding this or it is impossible to deal with Ore generation? :(

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Avoid Ore Overlapping

Post by orzelek »

BohemianCorporal wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:04 pm
And the first topic I would like to talk is about a mod for avoiding Ore Overlapping.
I've installed all Bob's mods and angel's mods (and pymods but it didn't work idk why). And when I tried to start a new map I always had the problem of Overlapped ores, I have like 20 ores to deal with and having this issue always bother me. Isn't there a mod for avoiding this or it is impossible to deal with Ore generation? :(
RSO tries to do that but it's a bit costly to do performance wise. By default it might leave small overlaps.

BohemianCorporal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

orzelek wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:14 pm
BohemianCorporal wrote:
RSO tries to do that but it's a bit costly to do performance wise. By default it might leave small overlaps.
Yeah, but I've seen many ores Overlapping and it's kinda annoying to deal with it. Also, RSO have the issue where you can't see the ores on the preview map. :(

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Another (less cheaty / exploration breaking), faster, but especially : RSO-compatible way to preview :
Start the game, press shift+space to pause the game, then look at the map, then press Escape => Restart to try another random map with the same settings.
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

I know what problem you're referring to, so here's the current solution:

Enable it and you'll have the problem disappear.

BohemianCorporal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Light wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:48 pm
I know what problem you're referring to, so here's the current solution:

Enable it and you'll have the problem disappear.
Are you sure?? I've seen the description and it said that the new ore generator (built in) was better so I didn't touch it. I'm gonna try it,thx :D

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

As far as I understand it, the changes in 0.17.51 should make it possible to avoid this entirely:
changelog wrote: resource_autoplace_settings has been made public (require('resource-autoplace').resource_autoplace_settings) and the API improved. It will automatically allocate a unique resource index for each patch_set_name. 'patch_set_name' and 'autoplace_control_name' can be independently specified. 'seed1' can be specified as a parameter. The global function 'get_next_resource_index' is obsolete and has been deleted.
The forum thread over here also has a little more discussion on the subject, including developer advice in response to my question about overlapping resources from the Krastorio mod.

I think that the in-game default resource generator should be doing the right thing with those settings. It definitely stopped placing sand under coal, iron, and copper, in the starter zone, for me, once applied as directed.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

BohemianCorporal wrote:
the base game updated the ore generation recently to fix this exact issue. some like bob have already updated to it. other like angels mods are not yet updated for it and use a variation of the older system which will cause issues. activating the setting in bobs mods uses that same modified system and will fix the errors with angels mods till its updated.

on the front with adding pymods to angels and bobs you need pycoaltbaa to make it work and at the moment its undergoing a pretty major rewrite by me to fix some internal issues.

BohemianCorporal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

kingarthur wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:37 am
BohemianCorporal wrote:
the base game updated the ore generation recently to fix this exact issue. some like bob have already updated to it. other like angels mods are not yet updated for it and use a variation of the older system which will cause issues. activating the setting in bobs mods uses that same modified system and will fix the errors with angels mods till its updated.

on the front with adding pymods to angels and bobs you need pycoaltbaa to make it work and at the moment its undergoing a pretty major rewrite by me to fix some internal issues.
Well, maybe when I wrote about Ore Overlapping it was read as if an Ore was completely on another one. But what I was trying to discuss is about the mixed ones, I mean when a small or medium part of a Ore share the same place as the other one. (for example in Bob's mods with quartz and lead or the other ones). When I activated the Ore generation in the Bob's settings, it kinda solved it but only for the Ore Bob's, but in the other hand angels ores and pyores didn't. :roll:. So, I think that Bob already fixed it.
But, in a plenty vanilla game I kept finding ores sharing tiles with Others, I even found copper inside coal inside iron :shock: :shock:. So for now I'm trying to play and deal with it :cry:.
Finally, as you are the modder of the pycoaltbaa, I have founded some small issues while playing.
1. Incompatibility between Bob's electronics and pycoal processing. Let me explain myself: to make a research lab the game told me to use a processing board 1 ( I don't remember the name well), but this item is only crafteable on a pcb maker, and this one uses void as an ing redid v by, and this one is crafted in machine that needs steel, but steel isnt researched yet. So here was one of the problems. I disabled Bob's electronics and it worked fine (until now) so I think there is a rename error.
2. After disabling Bob's electronics I found out that when I researched the electronics science, which give you filter inserters (Bob's inserters). It didn't show up in my inventory, I can't craft it even when I researched it.
So until now these are the 2 problems I found while playing with pycoaltbaa. I was using all Bob's mods ( except greenhouse, electronics and classes), angel's mods, pymods, and clown mods.
I would appreciate if you check this issues :D :D
Well that's all for now, first time I wrote this long.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

BohemianCorporal wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:03 am
Well, maybe when I wrote about Ore Overlapping it was read as if an Ore was completely on another one. But what I was trying to discuss is about the mixed ones, I mean when a small or medium part of a Ore share the same place as the other one.
When I answered, I was talking about both types of result. The visible effects can be different based on which ore is generated first, and how big the patches are randomly selected to be.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”