request: graphical day/night or light level indicator only

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

request: graphical day/night or light level indicator only

Post by slippycheeze »

I'd like a better indicator of in-game time than I get when using night vision. It isn't a big thing, but it is honestly a bit harder than I find useful to know time of day once I kick those on. There are a few in-game-time clocks available, but they tell me more than I want to know, and they change really fast which I find very distracting.

I'd like something that was basically "hello, it is this time of day or night" that didn't change drastically. I think that either light level driven, or "phase of the day" as in morning, noon, evening, sunset, night sort of display is probably the right thing? I'm open to better ideas, though.

The two things I did think of were either an icon progression, like you get with those "phase of the moon in your status bar" displays, or a color indicator of some sort that would fade from dark to light based on game darkness.

Thanks.

This request may or may not be related to mods that cause more stuff to try and eat my, uh, friends face at night, and the number of deaths to accidentally poking my nose into hostile crowds because I didn't realise it was night. I mean their nose. Not mine. I don't die humiliatingly to my own stupidity....

sinropa
Inserter
Inserter

Re: request: graphical day/night or light level indicator only

Post by sinropa »

I quickly implemented this as a progressbar to max darkness. This will auto-increase the max if they have made changes to it.

I welcome feedback if this doesn't fit your needs.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Darkness

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

Thanks. That addresses the problem exactly. I can dream of prettier things, but now I have the solution I need. Thank you.

sinropa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by sinropa »

Yeah it is pretty simple and ugly. But i figured the green bar would only catch attention when you cared to know (getting dark).

If it passes singistics in downloads, I might cry myself to sleep... lol.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

slippycheeze wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:34 pm
There are a few in-game-time clocks available, but they tell me more than I want to know, and they change really fast which I find very distracting.
EvoGUI has a setting to not show seconds EDIT: only update in quarter of hour intervals - confused with real time... (and is highly configurable otherwise). EDIT : oh, and if you didn't knew, it has a light level indicator too...
Last edited by BlueTemplar on Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

darkfrei wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:31 am
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/clock
I was going to say this didn’t meet my needs, but it turns out I missed the frequency of update option in the settings last time. That’d remove the flashy distraction part of the tool, so thank you.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:37 am
slippycheeze wrote:
There are a few in-game-time clocks available, but they tell me more than I want to know, and they change really fast which I find very distracting.
EvoGUI has a setting to not show seconds EDIT: only update in quarter of hour intervals - confused with real time... (and is highly configurable otherwise). EDIT : oh, and if you didn't knew, it has a light level indicator too...
That update rate is actually fine for me. I will reinvestigate it, though last time I dropped it for being not very pretty compared to the Schall’s evo display. OTOH, EvoGUI also has other stuff like the clock, so it might be function over form…

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

slippycheeze wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:37 pm
BlueTemplar wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:37 am
slippycheeze wrote:
That update rate is actually fine for me. I will reinvestigate it, though last time I dropped it for being not very pretty compared to the Schall’s evo display. OTOH, EvoGUI also has other stuff like the clock, so it might be function over form…
I use EvoGUI myself, too. I don't find that I have a need for anything fancier looking and I like a lot of info, but it's full of options that allows you to show as much or as little as you want. And yeah, as BlueTemplar mentioned, it does have a simple % readout for the current light level.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”