new energy turrents and batteries

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
mejillonius
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

new energy turrents and batteries

Post by mejillonius »

we all love setting up a turret feeding system but they lack punch in the endgame so they are replaced wuith laser turrets, well, here is a proposal:

a new tech with laser turrets and military (something) would unlock several things

the "energy turret" a new kind of turret with these features:
-no power requeriment
-increased reange if compared with laser turret OR increased power (they should be somehow different form standard laser turret or there's no reason to build them)
they use "charged batteries" as magazines and since batteries are re-usable IRL and not so cheap in factorio once finished the rounds a normal battery is created so they can be recharged

a new crafting recipe "charged battery":
-player cannot craft it
-they would share characteristics with standard magazines

a new building "charging station" (this can be optional but opens possibilities explained later)
-high electricity consumption while it is crafiting "charged batteries"

EXPANDED POSIBILITIES:
if the charging station is used (it can be easier done with just standard factories) they can have another use, uncharge batteries and feed a power network, so you can have an emergency energy supply somewhere or just feed a remote mining outpost this way. However it comes with a high pice tag, either batteries used this way "burn" so no recharge or using them for a big operation is not an option, this way desgning a good power network is still required most of the times.

cartmen180
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: new energy turrents and batteries

Post by cartmen180 »

actually the gun turrets do more damage than laser turrets with all upgrades researched for both turrets. There is a topic on that somewhere.
I am planning on adding a battery fed turret in my mod, but have to figure out how to return an empty battery when the turret depleted a full one before i include it.
Check out my mods

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: new energy turrents and batteries

Post by kyranzor »

The range of gun turrets makes them useless against medium and large spitters - only laser turrets can actually hit them. This caused me to have to replace my gun turret defence system with auto-loading piercing ammo.

The batteries for new energy turrets would need to be expendable but not rechargeable if you wanted a full drop-in replacement. The conveyor system to auto-reload gun turrets is only an input system, you would need to add a lot more infrastructure to pull spent energy cartridges out of the turrets to try and re-charge them at a charging station. It's easier to just have cheapo standard vanilla batteries used as ammo, and give 10 shots per battery or something. For people with lots of oil industry spare this would be nice.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”