[request] Not OP arty?

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
overabuncdance
Inserter
Inserter

[request] Not OP arty?

Post by overabuncdance »

could someone mod a artillery building that can shoot half a screen of fully zoomed out that can only hit nest/turrets?
i have no clue on the range #
make it expensive 30 steel beams 30 electrical circuits and 4 lubrication
the ammo for it would cost
10 explosive 3 steel and have to be made in a AM 2 or 3

or show me how to make it my self :D i wish to mod this game but i am a newb to Lua
my current progress is trying to do the guide provided on https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... g_Tutorial

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [request] Not OP arty?

Post by n9103 »

Making it hit Nests and Worms, and not Biters, is more OP than the reverse.
Any weapon that allows hitting without being in range for retaliation, will be OP.
Cost doesn't matter at reasonable levels, because there's a lot of cost in attacking as it is, once biters have evolved.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

overabuncdance
Inserter
Inserter

Post by overabuncdance »

oh.....
well it wouldnt do much maybe 5 damage? in a 3x3 grid?
that is reasonable right?

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Depends on firing rate. A nest can regenerate 5 damage pretty quickly making the weapon useless.

Anyway, it's your mod, make it however you want. If people don't want to use it because it's op then they don't have to install it.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

He's asking for someone to make it for him, Fish.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

n9103 wrote:He's asking for someone to make it for him, Fish.
Not sure if captain obvious or.. :p

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

FishSandwich wrote: Anyway, it's your mod, make it however you want
Wouldn't be his mod, and he's not making it.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Yes, okay, you are correct. Well done.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Back on topic of helping someone establish an idea for a non-OP artillery:
overabuncdance wrote:oh.....
well it wouldnt do much maybe 5 damage? in a 3x3 grid?
that is reasonable right?
If you're doing it to biters only, perhaps. Would depend on firing speed.
Damage to buildings at ranges that make you effectively immune to the swarm response of attacking a biter nest will make the idea OP if it's at all effective.

Assuming you decide to go for a biter-only kind of damage:
Making it fire very slowly with low damage makes it pointless against even medium biters.
Making it fire quickly could easily make it OP against small and medium biters, but still pointless against Big ones.
Making it fire very slow and moderate damage might not be too OP, but could end up being just a different version of turret creep.
Making it fire extremely slowly (less than once per minute kind of slow) and doing a large deal of damage could be considered for helping to soften up either incoming waves, or attacking bases.

In any case, it still has an unbalancing effect with a large range.
There's also the issues of: working out a large minimum range that it cannot fire within, deciding how the damage will affect the player and player buildings, triggering the swarm response or not.

I'm sure there are decent fixes to some of these problems, but I don't think they can all be fixed, and still have a weapon/turret that has great range, and isn't unbalancing.
Best of luck though! I'd like to see it.

cartmen180
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cartmen180 »

artillery should do some major damage but as a downside other spawners produce more and better biters? An artillery strike should also trigger an attack from multiple spawners.
Check out my mods

overabuncdance
Inserter
Inserter

Post by overabuncdance »

i agre with cartman's post on the triggering biter attacks if it hits buildings prob have a minimum attack range of oh 50 blocks? max of 75? 10 steam generators horizontal to 15 horizontal, and it would hurt ANYTHING in the aoe no exceptions.
fire every 70 seconds, or enough dps to kill a nest in oh 1 minute? or you can 1shot nests with 80 second reload time

side thought if it is that slow maybe be helped by 1 efficiency mod?

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

I think these are already going to be very hard to balance. I think it would be a mistake to allow them to have modules affect them.

overabuncdance
Inserter
Inserter

Post by overabuncdance »

meh probably doesnt if it take >50 seconds to reload

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”