[Idea] Applied Energistics.. but for Factorio

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Twinki
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Idea] Applied Energistics.. but for Factorio

Post by Twinki »

Those who play Minecraft with Automation or Tech Mods, you may know about Applied Energistics: http://ae-mod.info/

In short, it helps out with Automation in a big way. It allows you to store tons and tons of any item into a central control unit, while also giving you wires and machines that can send out or input specific items to the specified location.

So, say you have a chest with 200 Iron Plates and 200 Copper Plates.
You build a "cable" that requires energy, from a Central Control Unit, to one block / tile away from the chest
You the build and place down a "AE Storage Handler" on the chest, connected to the "Cable"
The AE Control Unit will now register everything thats in that chest, so you now have 200 Iron Plates and 200 Copper Plates in your Applied Energistics Network

Now lets build a "cable" a block / tile away from a powered Electric Furnace, from the AE Control Unit.
You then place a "Export Cable" between Furnace and the recently placed cable, and then open an interface telling it to export Iron Plates
The AE network will now take Iron Plates from the AE Control Unit and place them in the Furnace, that makes Steel.

For those who need more help trying to figure this out, can easily google "Applied Energistics Tutorial" and you'll find some finds and other information about AE.

This is just an idea, but I hope a modder can figure out how this can be done without any major issues.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Idea] Applied Energistics.. but for Factorio

Post by n9103 »

So... you want to rip off a mod for another game word for word, even though we have an existing system that accomplishes almost the same effect?
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

cartmen180
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cartmen180 »

yeah, this is easely accomplished with the wires and inverters
Check out my mods

Twinki
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Twinki »

n9103 wrote:So... you want to rip off a mod for another game word for word, even though we have an existing system that accomplishes almost the same effect?
No, i'm not very good at coming up with names. I have no idea what to call it, I just used AE for the sake of explaining it.

Applied Energistics allows you to automate on a much bigger and easier scale. So with a system such as AE in place, you could have a bunch of Furnaces in one place all smelting different things. It helps reduce space.

Basically you'd be able to access anything you needed in a central place, you'd have a central control unit where you'd be able to maintain everything, basically just to make it a lot easier to automate.
It'd help organize, and would cut out on the long running to go and get an item to craft something you need.

This would of course need to be something end-game.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

We already have 2 logistics systems (belts and robots), why would we want yet another one? One that doesn't add anything new at that.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Twinki
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Twinki »

n9103 wrote:We already have 2 logistics systems (belts and robots), why would we want yet another one? One that doesn't add anything new at that.
Just to help out with the automation. It'd be nice to have a central interface to use for taking out items and managing your inventory, while also being able to see how many Iron Plates are being made and lost. To see if you're low on a certain Item. Instead of just simply using Chests, which can be really hard to maintain and see exactly how many of X item you have.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Twinki wrote:Instead of just simply using Chests, which can be really hard to maintain and see exactly how many of X item you have.
How hard is it to make all chests logistics chests and just hover your mouse over to see the amounts? I really don't see what your suggestion adds over logistics networks.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Twinki
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Twinki »

Boogieman14 wrote:
Twinki wrote:Instead of just simply using Chests, which can be really hard to maintain and see exactly how many of X item you have.
How hard is it to make all chests logistics chests and just hover your mouse over to see the amounts? I really don't see what your suggestion adds over logistics networks.
Most of the time certain setups can be ways away. Was just an idea to make it easier.

I have yet to figure out how Logistics Networks works.

cartmen180
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cartmen180 »

i suggest you do figure that out first then, and then come back here ;)
Check out my mods

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

"AE" = Items can be sent over wires at infinite speeds, all done automatically as needed.
Since that would make belts, inserters and logistic bots -> pretty much the entire game :D completely obsolete...

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”