[Request] Patashu's Mod ideas thread

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Patashu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[Request] Patashu's Mod ideas thread

Post by Patashu »

1) Burner Challenge - already exists, just needs updating to 0.15. https://mods.factorio.com/mods/AJ213/Burner-Challenge 'Everything that took energy now takes fuel.'
Useful additions would be
-a mod setting to multiply the efficiency of all buildings
-compatibility with other building adding mods, if that's even possible

2) Low-Tech Challenge - all of the following buildings are banned from being placed in the world (but can still be crafted in case they're needed for recipes):
-Red/blue belts/splitters/UG belts
-Substations
-Inserters besides burner, normal and filter BUT filter is slowed down to the speed of a normal inserter.
-Pump (I think everything you'd need a pump for can be done with barreling/unbarreling, circuit logic/power switches, etc)
-Requester chests
-Electric furnace
-Accumulator
-Beacon
-Laser Turret
Now launch a rocket or beat SpaceEx or whatever. Have fun!
Inspired by that one guy who's making a bobs/angels megabase using no belts better than yellow.
Bobs/Angels/AAI integration would be very cool here.
The goal of this mod is that you can still produce and automate and transport everything, but the best ways to do so aren't available.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [Request] Patashu's Mod ideas thread

Post by featherwinglove »

2 is so easy to do with simple honor system discipline (I wanted to link to a five hour burner-drill only speed run I recall seeing, but now I can't find it) that I can't see ever wanting to install a mod for it. I attempted to play for <1000PU pollution discipline, but soon gave up. In this case, it's somewhat like Burner Challenge, but can easily be implemented with one simple rule: never use blue science intermediates in anything unrelated to blue science and rocket/satellite parts. Think about the implications: No batteries means no accumulators or laser turrets, no filter inserters means, well, no filter inserters. No red circuits means no modules, no AM3s, no electric furnaces, no substations (which are crap anyway), and no modular armor.

Patashu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Patashu »

featherwinglove wrote:2 is so easy to do with simple honor system discipline (I wanted to link to a five hour burner-drill only speed run I recall seeing, but now I can't find it) that I can't see ever wanting to install a mod for it. I attempted to play for <1000PU pollution discipline, but soon gave up. In this case, it's somewhat like Burner Challenge, but can easily be implemented with one simple rule: never use blue science intermediates in anything unrelated to blue science and rocket/satellite parts. Think about the implications: No batteries means no accumulators or laser turrets, no filter inserters means, well, no filter inserters. No red circuits means no modules, no AM3s, no electric furnaces, no substations (which are crap anyway), and no modular armor.
Sure, and you can simulate Space Extension by not finishing your game until you've launched X rockets and researched Y infinite science. But part of the fun of challenges is derived from a shared language about what challenges exist and what it means to do them. Either you get an achievement that proves you did it, or there's a mod or setting that enforces the requirement of doing it. It would be a really easy mod to code, anyway.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

No, you can't simulate Space Extension via honor system. Space Extension adds to the game. Honor system is only good at taking things away from the game. Also, it might be easier to code than you think: start by taking Burner Challenge and removing the code that changes electric power to burner. Most of what's left implements your second proposal, e.g. you can build accumulators and solar panels for your spacecraft, but you can't place them in your power grid. Also, it's extremely easy to avoid using solar panels. I haven't met very many Youtube LPers that prefer them. If any.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”