(Request) Logistic Collector Chest

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
omegasrevenge
Inserter
Inserter

(Request) Logistic Collector Chest

Post by omegasrevenge »

Hey guys!

There is one thing missing in my super factory that I would love to have: a chest where I can set an item filter, and robots will bring that type of item to it as if it was a requestor chest, but use it as a provider chest if an actual requestor chest is asking for an item of that type.

I often have the problem that one factory becomes so big that my logistical robots have to fly through the entire screen to get an item from point A to point B, and I would love to have a chest that lets them place that item in a chest right in the middle of my base and then transport it from there where ever I want it to go! That would be awesome.

EDIT: I added the below text!

Here is a screenshot that perfectly illustrates my point:

The active provider chest is utterly full, and there are empty storage chests nearby. Almost a hundred robots have absolutely nothing to do and sit in their roboport and do nothing instead of emptying the full provider chests into the storage chests.
Last edited by omegasrevenge on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: (Request) Logistic Collector Chest

Post by SHiRKiT »

Would be cool yeah. You can also solve by separating the two systems and creating a buffer zone that transfer from one chest to the other. That way, you prevent really long distances travelling. One can also use transport belts to transfer those, or even trains, depending on the base size.

omegasrevenge
Inserter
Inserter

Post by omegasrevenge »

SHiRKiT wrote:Would be cool yeah. You can also solve by separating the two systems and creating a buffer zone that transfer from one chest to the other. That way, you prevent really long distances travelling. One can also use transport belts to transfer those, or even trains, depending on the base size.
...That would be the idea, yeah, but I continually excessivelly overdo my main factory. The only thing that can move through there are robots, because they are flying, and you, because the player can move through inserters. TIghtly clustered HUNDREDS of assembly machines.... ):

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

omegasrevenge
Inserter
Inserter

Post by omegasrevenge »

I am not sure how vanilla storage chests work in the first place, I had a 30hours play session of a vanilla freeplay game, and I tried it there. My robots used the storage chests VERY VERY (did I already say "VERY"? And with very I mean "barely, if at all, 99,999% of the time they just ignored those chests.") inconsistently. If a filter in a storage chest can set this to a higher priority for the robots or something, then yes, it would help. Since I am not sure that the thread from the link is talking about exactly the same topic, I cannot call this case closed. Also, even if it actually is a "case closed" scenario, I still urgently ask you to somehow implement this concept. Otherwise the only alternative would be the DyTech logistical robots which have a bigger inner battery and therefore can cross longer distances before needing to recharge. That is, however, a suboptimal solution.

Here is a screenshot that perfectly illustrates my point:

The active provider chest is utterly full, and there are empty storage chests nearby. Almost a hundred robots have absolutely nothing to do and sit in their roboport and do nothing instead of emptying the full provider chests into the storage chests.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I bet, this is a known bug. Try to replace (just place some other chest over the first) some of the chests. This will reset their entries in the transport network.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

omegasrevenge
Inserter
Inserter

Post by omegasrevenge »

ssilk wrote:I bet, this is a known bug. Try to replace (just place some other chest over the first) some of the chests. This will reset their entries in the transport network.
I tried, and it doesn't seem to work. :/

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

It was bug in 0.10.4, fixed in 0.10.5. Right now we have 0.10.6.

omegasrevenge
Inserter
Inserter

Post by omegasrevenge »

Neotix wrote:It was bug in 0.10.4, fixed in 0.10.5. Right now we have 0.10.6.
I downloaded the latest experimental release just to try this. It still does not work.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”