[Idea] Only Robots / RTS Mode

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
blueblue
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[Idea] Only Robots / RTS Mode

Post by blueblue »

I'm thinking of making a mod in which the player is only able to place buildings using robots. The game would be focused on using roboports and logistics, but not on using the personal roboport. In fact I'm thinking of placing the player in a god mode-like view or allowing him to teleport. The intention is to make the game feel more like an RTS, allowing and forcing the player to be in multiple locations simultaneously, but taking some of the relevance of the actual player character away. There is currently a mod named "Only Robots", which goes the other route by putting massive emphasis on the personal roboport at the start of the game. This is the opposite of what I want.

The mod would start the player with a couple roboports, robots and logistic chests and some power source. It would rebalance the technologies and recipes to make robot logistics enter the game earlier. I might go with an expensive recipe that can be used to make robots early and a cheaper but more complex late-game recipe to produce more of them. For logistics chests I might go with different tiers for chests with varying inventory size. The mod would need some way to do offensive combat beyond roboport driven turret creep, I might rely on other mods for that or add a player character avatar that can only perform combat related tasks. It will also need some option to build an outpost that is not connected to any logistics network, I might use vehicle equipment grids for that, but I might also come up with something else.

I think I'm capable to get this done, but I want to plan it out before and make sure it is interesting. For now what I am looking for is some general feedback on the idea. Is this something anyone would play? [Does it exist already as some mod I havent seen yet?] Which issues might come up?
Last edited by blueblue on Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
unique_2 on discord and mod portal

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Idea] Only Robots / RTS Mode

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Hmm.

Sandbox-like Godmode, Set player's reach stats to zero.
Start with roboport, 20 solar panels and poles placed (invulnerable?) And construction robot, as well as whatever you need to setup initial factory.

Player can move, as ghost, but cannot build due to zero range.

Add method to make blueprint for every placeable item in the game, since you can't get items.

Adjust tech to make tiny roboports available early, and robots, and/or vehicles with module slots for personal roboport. Use AAI Vehicles so you can move around and deploy stuff, and some automation/magic there. Also combat units.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”