What are your UI painpoints?

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
ibeatbabybiters
Inserter
Inserter

What are your UI painpoints?

Post by ibeatbabybiters »

This game is so awesomely complex, but the current GUI just doesn't handle this complexity that well, and so I have my own list of things that slow me down during gameplay. For example managing my quickbar. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but in the late game I never have the items I need right now in the right slots because I keep moving them around, depending on what I'm doing right now. This slows me so painfully down it's annoying. And so I would like to make a mod that allows me to manage multiple quickbar layouts by hotkey, e.g. ctrl+1 for layout 1, ctrl+2 for layout 2 and so on. Each layout would contain items for different occasions, like belt building, blueprinting, combat etc. And I couldn't find a mod that does this, so please let me know if you know of one before I start :)

And so I thought i'd also ask what your own painpoints in playing Factorio are. I bet there will be a big overlap with my own list :) So what do you think would be simple enough to implement but immensely helpful (I may not have enough time to implement complex things, but feel free to share also more complex ideas)
Usually I don't beat babies, but when I do I beat baby biters.

ibeatbabybiters
Inserter
Inserter

Re: What are your UI painpoints?

Post by ibeatbabybiters »

I have created my first mod, which addresses my biggest personal pain point, quickbar management: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=49335

Next thing I'd like to make is a Power Armor Switcher mod :D Maybe it's just me, but personally I'm carrying multiple power armor suits with me, again, for different occasions. For example one suit with multiple personal robo ports for building my base, then I have a sprinter suit packed with Exo Skeletons to sprint around the map, then I have a combat suite, packed with shields and a few personal laser defense towers. With my play style I'm switching suits often, which is quite time consuming as it is. At the moment you have to use your mouse to switch power armor suits, and it happened more than once that I did it in the wrong order, dropping most of my inventory on the ground, just because I took my armor off before having the target armor in my cursor stack. Too slow and error prone. To fix this I'd like to make a mod that simply iterates through all available power armor suits, with a simple hotkey. Haven't looked into the details yet but I think it should be possible.

Let me know what you think, and please share your ideas! I know the forum is full of ideas, but I just don't have the time to read through all of it, and I'm mostly interested in helper/GUI improvement mods.
Usually I don't beat babies, but when I do I beat baby biters.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”