Scenerios: The Future of Factorio?

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
silentsputnik
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Scenerios: The Future of Factorio?

Post by silentsputnik »

Some people enjoy slowly acquiring resources and building megabases as one does in vanilla factorio. Other people such as myself like to solve defined problems and fight in a custom scenerio story.

I'll paint a picture of the kind of map that I'd like to design. You start in the center of the map with a partially functional defensive base. The map is of medium length vertically but is 1.5-2x wider than a fully zoomed-out view horizontally.

Quite some time after crash landing on this wretched planet, you have finally built a rocket silo with all of its rocket parts ready to be manufactured so that you can finally depart. Very close to the north a massive group of enemy spawners have appeared, threatening to kill you before you can escape. They have been constantly sending waves of aliens towards your defensive fortifications and show no signs of stopping. Very quickly they rip through your forward outposts and you fall back to your main defensive line consisting of gun and laser turrets. You feel quite confident at first that your lasers will keep your enemies at bay, but that contentment soons turns to horror as you realize that your regular coal shipment from the southern train outpost is days late. There's no way that you'll have enough power in your steam engines to fuel the rocket part constructions which will allow you to escape the planet. In fact, you calculate your current coal supplies will only be enough to fuel your laser turrets for a few minutes! You think quickly and reason that if you take the limited mobile combat weapons that you possess towards the south you may be able to repair the broken train line and collect other defensive resources that will help you survive the onslaught. The way south is perilous and will require good combat skill and ingenuity to traverse. But after imagining the destruction of your base and rocket silo -- dooming you to a lifetime of hiding from biters on this forsaken planet -- you resolve to make the trip...

In order to make this idea a reality, I will have to have certain mods. The northern spawners must (almost?) constantly send biters at the player's defenses. I know in Natural Evolution Expansion, all of the enemies on the map are triggered to attack when a rocket silo is built. However, this is only a one-time occurance. Perhaps modding the silo to produce enough pollution to cover all of the spawners in the north would be an easy way to provoke continuous attacks.

I also require that the evolution scale increases rapidly with time so that waves become more difficult and will overwhelm your defenses if not reinforced.

Also, it would be nice if it took a long time for the rocket parts to be inserted, and that every enemy would attack at once during the insertions with an instant evolution factor of 1 for a final epic conclusion.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with lua or modding factorio in general so I would need massive help. xD

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Scenerios: The Future of Factorio?

Post by Adil »

silentsputnik wrote: Unfortunately, I have no experience with lua or modding factorio in general so I would need massive help. xD
What a pity. Lack of competent and devoted laborers strikes again, preventing another beautiful mod from coming into existence.

Tell you what, there's map editor, its usage is mostly self-explanatory or at least similar to painting maps in other games.
If you design the map for this scenario, the terrain geometry, the factory layout, situations that
silentsputnik wrote:require good combat skill and ingenuity to travers
and so on, then I will find a time to help you with writing a script which handles the storytelling. The latter is what requires coding knowledge and some time, the former needs devotion and more time.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”