Smaller output buffer capacity Furnaces

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Smaller output buffer capacity Furnaces

Post by Peter34 »

All 3 types of Furnaces, Stone, Steel and Electric, have an output buffer capacity of 100 units, which means that if their output isn't used, they'll sit there and accumulate huge buffers.

Each Steel Plate - in particular - takes 17.5s/CS=8.75 seconds, thus a Steel/Electric Furnace whose output isn't being consumed will sit there for a bit more than 14.5 minutes and build up a ginormous internal buffer while polluting heavily.

I know that in alpha 0.13 it's become possible to restrict the inflow of ore if the output flow is too slow (or not moving at all), somehow, after researching the right Techs. Or at least I think it is.

But it's still an annoynace that I have to have this huge frontloaded amount of Pollution, especially in the early game and early mid game.

I'd very much like to see a mod that changes the existing Furnaces to have an output buffer capacity of 20 instead of 100. Stone Furnaces, Steel Furnaces and Electric Furnaces. Not adding alternative smaller-buffer Furnaces that you can choose to build, but rather altering the already existing ones so that there is no choice involved (note the implications for co-op MP. Players who don't pay attention to what mods are used might erronously craft and then use the vanilla Furnaces instead of the modded alternate Furnaces).

If playes want buffers, they can set them up as an active choice using an extra layer of Inserter+Chest. That'll make the Furnace setup 2 tiles wider per Furnace line (thus 4 tiles for the traditional two rows of Furnaces feeding onto a central output Belt).

Versepelles
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Smaller output buffer capacity Furnaces

Post by Versepelles »

I'm not sure that this is currently possible for furnaces, without being very unwieldy. Furnaces do not have a set buffer size; rather, they seem to hold one stack of their output by default (so 100 iron or steel plates). It would be possible to achieve your request by simply changing the stack size for iron plates, etc, from 100 to 20 (which I will be happy to do, if that's what you wish), but that in itself would be practically cumbersome for the player.

Assembling machines, it seems, could have artificially controlled output buffers by entity.crafting_progress, but furnaces do not have an analogous feature (as far as I can tell).

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”