[Request] "Creep carpet" around native Nests

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[Request] "Creep carpet" around native Nests

Post by Peter34 »

In the Starcraft RTS game, the Zerg species would have a "carpet" of some biological material, growing on the ground around their nests, spreading outwards.

I think the Factorio devs have actually talked about that as a possible way to counter the "turret creep" tactic so commonly used, so that the players are forced to attack Nests in a more personal style, using Power Armor or Tanks, as the "creep carpet" would prevent placing any kind of Turret (or indeed other building) close to Nests.

For such a mod to work, there needs to be some visual effect, but it obviously doesn't have to look super-elaborate.

Mechanics-wise, the creep should spread out from Nests, once each Nest is created, out to a diameter of at least 35-40 tiles (what's the range of Flame Thrower Turrets again? 30? And the diameter would be measured from the center of the Nest presumably), probably as some gradual growth. Perhaps 1 tile at a time, possibly in a semi-random fashion but being more likely to "choose" tiles closer to the Next that haven't already been carpeted.

Possibly the growth should be rapid at first, when the Nest (or Worm) is first created, but then slow down once about 25% of the max area is covered. If max distance from center is 40 tiles, then 25% of the max area coincides with an average radius of 20 tiles, which makes Gun Turret use impossible, but Laser Turret use still barely possible.

It's only actually necessary to prevent the placement of military category buildings onto this carpet, at least the various Turrets, but preventing Radar placement would be nice too and Walls/Gates, and Roboport placement (for Tank repair) and really I think it'd probably be better, and perhaps also simpler, to just prevent the placement of all objects. Also keep in mind that other mods may add new items to the game that might be mis-categorized, and so if this mod prevents only "military category" buildings, the interaction with those other mods would be suboptimal.

Above I suggested that Worms should get creep carpets too? I stand by that. I think it's a good idea if both types of native immobiles get the creep carpet effect.

One question is whether the creep carpet should affect player character speed negatively? Or native movement speed positively? Or give some kind of positive buff to natives, perhaps increasing the RoF of Spitters by 33% if they're standing with their bizarre non-mammalian feet on creep carpet? But I don't think that's actually necessary. It'd make the mod harder to create, and isn't actually needed. What is needed is a thwarting of turret creep.

Another question is whether the carpet should be flammable. I'm saying no. Again, that defeats the whole purpose of its existence.

Why make this mod, if the devs are going to make it anyway?

Well, will they? To be honest I'm not sure if I've ever actually seen a dev touch upon the issue of creep carpet. I have seen it discussed, on here, but perhaps no devs were involved.

Also, the devs talk about a lot of stuff. 0.13 was supposed to be a huge combat overhaul and re-balancing. That didn't happen. Maybe it'll happen in 0.14.

Making a mod to add the carpet creep effect will greatly enhance the gameplay experience.

Consider also co-operative multiplayer. It's all very common to say "but Peter if you don't like turret creep, then don't do turret creep!" but that does not work in MP games. The notion that you can build consensus about such things in MP games is flawed. The other players might agree with my suggestion, but then forget - or "forget" - about it. Or they may start arguing during play that it was a mistake and that we should take back our collective agreement not to do turret creep.

Factorio shines as an MP game, and mods can fix flaws in the design far better than can any kind of agreement among the players.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Request] "Creep carpet" around native Nests

Post by Nexela »

It doesn't do everything you want. but it does stop turret creep! And it is configurable https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Nexela/StrictEngagements

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Please, no. This game is about automating EVERYTHING. Don't remove the one effective automated way to take out biters.

Riversand
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Riversand »

5thHorseman wrote:Please, no. This game is about automating EVERYTHING. Don't remove the one effective automated way to take out biters.
Hey, it's their gaming experience, they can mod it how they want to. a good counter to the creep idea, is robot armies.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”