Hard Storage Mod

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
AlexTheNotsogreat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Hard Storage Mod

Post by AlexTheNotsogreat »

A mod that I've wanted to see is one that makes storage much more difficult, by making chests store very little, and changes chest sizes with it...

- Wood chests only hold about 1-3 slots
- Iron chests are 1x2 or 2x2, holding 6-12 or 15 slots
- Steel chests are 3x3, hold 20-30 slots
- Logistics/smart chests are same as wooden chests in size and storage, use steel from scratch
- Cargo wagons hold same as steel chests
- Player gets small inventory at start, can get bigger with armor and/or research

This is based on the idea that storage capacities in vanilla Factorio are absurdly large (honestly, 48 slots in a 1x1 steel chest?), and would add challenge to all areas of item storage. And I know of the mods that reduce the player's inventory, but none for chests, and it would make sense to have one.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Hard Storage Mod

Post by bobingabout »

I see many people make the argument that cargo wagons should be bigger, cars should have smaller inventory etc etc, but nobody seems to ever sugest making them more balanced by reducing the storage space of chests, I like the idea.

The problem with making the entity larger though is not something easy to do, you could scale them up to 2x2, but it would then be pixelated, but to be 2x1? well, you get 2 issues with that, first you end up with the old gun turret issue(to say as a minimum, they're not blueprint friendly), the primary reason why turrets were resized to 2x2 in the first place, and second, you can't just scale the graphics.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

bobingabout wrote:the primary reason why turrets were resized to 2x2
But curved rails, separators? They are 2x(???) and 1x2 size and its no problem with bluepinting.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

I'll quote myself
In my opinion loader is great! But it should come as a part of a storage facility only. Year ago or so I tried to make a mod which disabled vanilla chests and introduced new ones with thier capacity was depended on their size and not a material they made of (I find it silly). They came in 3 sizes with 4 slots 1x1 tile wooden crate, 30 slots 2x2 iron container and a 150 slots 3x3 underground silo that was supposed to have passive load/undload ability. Then I lost the interest in Factorio for some time and dumped the mod.
And it was the time, when cargo wagons had 20 slots only. I really don't like that chests are so powerful in this game.

Versepelles
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Versepelles »

I made the mod Hard Storage as requested. Let me know if any of the values need to be scaled dramatically.

Here's the link: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Versepel ... ardStorage

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”