[Idea] "Pitch Black" nights

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Idea] "Pitch Black" nights

Post by Dev-iL »

"The night is dark and full of terrors" --Melisandre

Inspired by the movie "The Chronicles of Riddick: Pitch Black" where (without spoiling too much of the plot) aliens only attack when it's dark, and when they do, it's in nigh-unstoppable numbers.

Unlike the zombies in Dying Light, which function during the day, and simply become more dangerous at night, the aliens will be made completely UV-sensitive (not unlike vampires), such that they don't even spawn during daylight (and lose health rapidly should they be caught in it). The same goes for alien bases: they would only spawn "just before" the night starts (so that a player gets a glimpse of where they are for about 5-10 seconds) and would vanish "a bit after" the night ends, but without leaving behind any alien artifacts in case they are not destroyed by the player. This means that in order to get artifacts, a player would have to battle hoards of aliens in the middle of the night and then raid their spawners before these disappear. :twisted:

Some optional additions:
  • Spawn a neutral "abandoned geological station" structure somewhere not too far from the starting area, the discovery of which (and possibly its connection to the power grid) will change it to the player's team and provide access to a timer that says Night coming in: XX:XX so that one could get ready more efficiently. This station will be destroyable by aliens (possibly a priority target?) and in this case another one will be spawned in its stead, in a location farther away from the starting area.
  • Have a configurable number of moons, which would dictate the frequency and length of nights.
  • UV flashlight + granades that are upgradable via research.
  • UV light posts, that are triggerable by the player either once per night, following some "charging" period, via some wire condition, or etc.
  • As the name suggest, during night time, everything outside the "lit aura" of the player's base becomes completely hidden behind a "pitch-black fog of war", in which the terrain itself can mutate overnight...
  • Turrets will only be able to fire at things that are visible (aka "withing the lit area").
  • Meteor showers / alien dropships falling on your base.
P.S.
I decided to write this after reading one of the negative Steam reviews of Factorio, that talks about the "bubble of comfort" that players seem to reach, after which they're pretty much invincible and it's just a matter of time before they win. A mode such as this will arguably keep players on their toes throughout the experience.
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [Idea] "Pitch Black" nights

Post by Adil »

Well there's the ScaryNight mod somewhere around here which is functional at the very least.
The most of the rest suggestion will have to wait for someone to just come and code it for a little longer. :P
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dev-iL »

Adil wrote:Well there's the ScaryNight mod somewhere around here which is functional at the very least.
That's a good link, surely. As for the rest of my ideas, I'm wondering what features on the devs' todo list are required to make this possible? I realize one can do many things with existing game mechanics via mods.. but what to do if said mechanics don't exist yet...? :P

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

Well, the
Dev-iL wrote:[*] UV flashlight
if it's anything like current light cones of player and trains would be quite inefficient to implement and I don't what on the devlist is going to change that.
Dev-iL wrote: [*] Turrets will only be able to fire at things that are visible (aka "withing the lit area").
Also pushes the system to its limits. And once again, the irregular light field would be complicated. It's not a much of work to make them slower in the range of a lamp though. (If you hide a special kind of turret under it.)
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dev-iL »

A similar mod exists now!

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”