Station name changes based on train presence

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
theBeave
Inserter
Inserter

Station name changes based on train presence

Post by theBeave »

I am not a modder, so I have to throw this out to the community. However, I tested a simple idea:

Right now, if a train is assigned to arrive at a station, lets called it 'depot', and multiple 'depot' stations exist, the train will pick one of them (see: Why This Idea? below). However, with multiple 'depots' the player can manually change the name of one of them without automatically altering the station names in train schedules (the way it does when there is only one station of that name).

Is it possible to:
a) change the name of a station programmatically?
b) determine the position of a train at a station? -or- if a train is occupying the station's track position?

If yes to both those questions, it may be possible to create an automatic station that changes its name based on whether a train occupies its position or not. So, with no train present, the station name would remain normal 'depot'. However, when a train arrives, it changes to 'depot-full'. This should allow the trains to only attempt to route to unoccupied stations instead of queuing at occupied stations.

I can picture a gui for stations that allow for dictation of names for [normal] and [occupied] states as a simple two text box popup.

Why this idea?:
This idea is particularly for more hardcore train engineers that have multiple queuing areas feeding multiple stations. The typical operation of stations in vanilla factorio works quite well for basic setups and straightforward depot designs.

*noted caveat: changing ALL the stations from 'depot' to 'depot-full' does automatically change names of stops in train schedules. Either the scripting can make up for that situation, or a dummy station needs to be put down on some inaccessible train piece so that one entry always exists in the station list.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Station name changes based on train presence

Post by ratchetfreak »

trains already prefer unoccupied stations over occupied ones (penalty relative to the amount of time left at the station)

this also has the danger of in a 2 stop (mine and depot) 2 train system that both trains occupy the stations but can't move to the next one because both are "-full"

Taoh
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Station name changes based on train presence

Post by Taoh »

What I would like to see was that there was a "Some Station Name[x]" info where X is the connected trains set to stop at a station. So if you connect up a new train to a station the number grows by one, if you remove one it drops. It gives you a quick overview of which stations are covered and which are not.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”