[IDEA] ICBMs

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
spiro9
Inserter
Inserter

[IDEA] ICBMs

Post by spiro9 »

I know the MIRV mod does something similar to this idea, but something is just not as satisfying about having to launch a satellite with a limited number of uses, as actually individually manufacturing rockets, payloads, etc. and assembling them in a dedicated silo.

Not to mention watching a missile fly out of the ground to rain nuclear hellfire on a biter nest is much more satisfying than a single nuclear shell fired from artillery, or the diminishing returns of raining nuclear strikes from high orbit (the novelty is lost on one after a while)..

So, that said, here's my idea:
A new rocket silo dedicated to the production of ballistic missiles, regardless of payload, be it napalm, cluster, nuclear, or fusion or antimatter (added by mods) - or rather, launching a ballistic missile by producing the body and applying a pre-built payload to it. Perhaps a second silo as well, dedicated to allowing MIRV ICBMs, so you can raze entire forests of biter nests with one launch!

This is an idea that I would personally be willing to work on, or at least oversee the development of, but I would need the help of experienced Factorio modders, be it programmers or asset designers, if not at the very least learning some of the more complex aspects of the Factorio modding workflow for myself.

If anyone's interested in this, lmk.
Hi hungry, I'm dad!

BraveCaperCat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [IDEA] ICBMs

Post by BraveCaperCat »

This is a great idea, but there are limitations in factorio. I could make a special assembler which assembles rockets, but it would just fire them wherever they could, and they can only be fired on creation. I could also make a rocket silo which launches regular rockets/missiles but it would need to return something when launched. I don't think the missile idea is possible unless some changes are made to the modding api. And that requires an update, plus the changes might be scheduled for the 2.0 update. so the idea might have to be scrapped. About the rocket silo changes, those are very possible, we just modify the rocket silo to use special rocket parts manufactured in assemblers or even special rocket part manufacturers/assemblers. Then we can add different types of satellite for progression and we've got a space-grade idea for a content or overhaul mod.

But I am only really good at making stuff in mods, not giving them textures. You might have to find someone else to do this, or just make them yourself. You should use the base rocket silo, satellite and rocket part icons as a base if you aren't very experienced at making textures.

BraveCaperCat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BraveCaperCat »

I'll just, start on the coding part now.

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Stringweasel »

You might be looking for the mod Ballistic Missile :)

Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

BraveCaperCat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BraveCaperCat »

Stringweasel wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:43 pm

I am already making the mod asked for here, PLEASE DON'T INTTERUPT ME.

spiro9
Inserter
Inserter

Post by spiro9 »

Stringweasel wrote:

I'll check this out.
Hi hungry, I'm dad!

BraveCaperCat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BraveCaperCat »

spiro9 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:57 pm
Stringweasel wrote:

I'll check this out.
Why didn't you respond to me saying that i'd happily make it?

spiro9
Inserter
Inserter

Post by spiro9 »

BraveCaperCat wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:10 pm
spiro9 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:57 pm
Stringweasel wrote:

I'll check this out.
Why didn't you respond to me saying that i'd happily make it?
Because if anyone was going to program it, I'd like to be the one doing most of the work for it.
Hi hungry, I'm dad!

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”