Pump Filter for Fluids

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Teory
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Pump Filter for Fluids

Post by Teory »

Loaders have filters, Inserters have filters, Why don't pumps have filters for fluids?

Anyone want to take a stab at this? Maybe I'll give it a try with my friend chatGPT.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Pump Filter for Fluids

Post by FuryoftheStars »

I'm not 100% sure that pumps can have filters applied (and that isn't something a mod can change).

That said, you can achieve something similar without the need of mods: have a storage tank in-line that you connect one end of a wire to, then the other end connects to the pump. Enable pump when desired fluid is detected.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Teory
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Teory »

I don't think this works because I don't think it reads the train content so If for whatever reason that Pump empties and pumps the wrong fluid then they mix.

I have an SE K2 Playthrough right now with like 200+ train stops on Nauvis and it's getting frustrating when LTN whoopsies or I forget a wire. I have clean up's for everything thing now so it catches most but oof.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Teory wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:20 am
I don't think this works because I don't think it reads the train content so If for whatever reason that Pump empties and pumps the wrong fluid then they mix.
Ah, for a train station, use combinators. Once you have wires hooked to the station, you can enable the options "Read train contents" and "Read stopped train" (these are the only two you need for this). You then need one combinator to read for the presence of the train's ID signal (default T) and then output 1 of a signal (any unique signal)(eg: T > 0 -> Green 1), then another combinator (or more if you're interested in allowing something more complex) that reads for the presence of the fluid you want and outputs 1 of the same signal as the other combinator (eg: Oil > 0 -> Green 1). You then wire these to your pumps and have your pumps set to enable when the signal the combinators are outputting equals 2 (eg: Green = 2).
Attachments
Train station circuit logic.jpg
Train station circuit logic.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 682 times
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Teory
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Teory »

Would this work with LTN? Connecting to the train stop?

Nosferatu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nosferatu »

Yes. According to the manual the train stopp also sends train inventory
viewtopic.php?f=214&t=51072

EustaceCS
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EustaceCS »

Why don't pumps have filters for fluids?
See official thorough explanation. Well, it tilts towards eplanation of technical details behind that decision, but still... Official and exhaustive.
Anyone want to take a stab at this?
What's the ultimate goal for this feature? Given that it will NOT improve logistics in a situation you describe...
Depending on the goal, a mere locomotive with few fluid tanks in tow, organized creatively, can do it better, or some tricks can be used to simplify the setup.
(or filter implementation CAN be necessary indeed, can't deny it, - although it's hard to mix liquids in pipes in the first place...)

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”