[IDEA] Overheating reactor = damage

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
jchardin64
Inserter
Inserter

[IDEA] Overheating reactor = damage

Post by jchardin64 »

This is an idea I've been thinking about, and I wanted to see what others think. If people like it, maybe someone with some modding experience can do it, or possibly point me in the right direction to doing it myself.

Basically:

--A nuclear reactor that reaches maximum temperature will no longer "just stop heating up any more" -- fuel is energy and energy can't just disappear, so as long as fuel is being used the temperature will just keep going up and up and up.
--Reactors, heat pipes, and heat exchangers that exceed max temperature will start taking damage gradually over time. Higher temperature means more damage per minute. This means it can have a runaway effect, since losing some of your heat pipes will prevent the heat from being distributed, causing faster damage to the reactors.
--A reactor damaged to less than 50% health (from any damage source, not just overheating) will release radiation (just use a poison gas cloud for simplicity). So trying to get close enough to fix it will hurt if you don't have construction robots.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [IDEA] Overheating reactor = damage

Post by aka13 »

jchardin64 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:21 am
This is an idea I've been thinking about, and I wanted to see what others think. If people like it, maybe someone with some modding experience can do it, or possibly point me in the right direction to doing it myself.

Basically:

--A nuclear reactor that reaches maximum temperature will no longer "just stop heating up any more" -- fuel is energy and energy can't just disappear, so as long as fuel is being used the temperature will just keep going up and up and up.
--Reactors, heat pipes, and heat exchangers that exceed max temperature will start taking damage gradually over time. Higher temperature means more damage per minute. This means it can have a runaway effect, since losing some of your heat pipes will prevent the heat from being distributed, causing faster damage to the reactors.
--A reactor damaged to less than 50% health (from any damage source, not just overheating) will release radiation (just use a poison gas cloud for simplicity). So trying to get close enough to fix it will hurt if you don't have construction robots.
Try Realistic Reactors - I think they are so well done, that the way they work should be an mk2 reactor in vanilla factorio.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”