co-existence to a point

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
SirJMO
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

co-existence to a point

Post by SirJMO »

TL;DR
The re-action of the biters is not in proportion to the initial action, before re-assessment.
What ?
Only having the biters start to evolve and expand after the pollution touches them (first attack trigger) or they get attacked.
Ideally have the expansion modified/multiplied by the evolution factor, so the more evolution the more expansion.
Why ?
I think the biters have no reason to start growing(innovate/evolve) before there's a substantial threat in the form of pollution or an assault on their base to warrant doing so...
Nor to expand and increase the amount of nests when they had so much time before you (crash)landed on nauvis until they have the reason like to try and box in the threat that is the engineer and their polluting dangerous factory.
In short I do not think a object (the ship) impacting the planet is significant enough to warrant immediate action to the hivemind who is practically everywhere on the planet.
There's options to change biter evolution rates and expansion rates, but those are static throughout the game.
Why here?
because I think it has a higher chance of being created as a mod, rather than implemented in the basegame (even as an option)
I don't think I have the skills to implement this properly with my current experience.

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: co-existence to a point

Post by Silari »

SirJMO wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:16 am
Ideally have the expansion modified/multiplied by the evolution factor, so the more evolution the more expansion.
Per the wiki, the time between expansions already averages lower with larger expansions as evolution increases.
The interval between enemy expansions is global, and the higher enemy evolution, the shorter the interval is on average. Furthermore, with higher evolution, the groups are bigger on average.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

SirJMO wrote:
Only having the biters start to evolve […] after the pollution touches them (first attack trigger) or they get attacked.
And this is achieved by setting the time related slider to 0.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

SirJMO
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SirJMO »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:48 am
actually untrue, evolution starts as soon as you produce pollution, not as it gets consumed.
Silari wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:20 am
Per the wiki, the time between expansions already averages lower with larger expansions as evolution increases.
The interval between enemy expansions is global, and the higher enemy evolution, the shorter the interval is on average. Furthermore, with higher evolution, the groups are bigger on average.
whilst this somewhat solves part 2 of my idea it doesn't touch part 1 below.
SirJMO wrote:
Only having the biters start to evolve and expand after the pollution touches them (first attack trigger) or they get attacked.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

SirJMO wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:55 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:48 am
actually untrue, evolution starts as soon as you produce pollution, not as it gets consumed.
Right, forgot they have it base on production, not consumption.

In that case, have you tried out Rampant Evolution?
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

SirJMO
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SirJMO »

that seems as close as I'm going to get.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”