Assembly Line mod

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
grimmsdottir
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Assembly Line mod

Post by grimmsdottir »

So, I am doing a programming major, and I decided that I wanted to create a mod for factorio, and I had an idea for this mod.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjAZGUcjrP8

Basically the idea of this mod will be to remove assembly machines from the game, and to replace them with specialized robotic arms that will cut, shape, form, process and assemble things together, like what happens in a real factory assembly line as linked to above.

The point of this post is to largely gauge interest, as well as to seek help as to how I may be able to create such a mod. I am currently proficient at C, C++, C# and Java.

Anyways, the rest of this post will be the ideas that I have for the mod.

The base for the mod will be the robot arms, of which there will be many. They will need to be highly configurable, in terms of where they can pick things up, and where they will put things down, as well as sequencing. I foresee that these arms will have the ability to pick things up, for example 2 tiles away, and then place it 1 tile away and 1 tile north. These arms may also be linked to other arms by wires or something, and will only move in sequence.

Holder Robot Arms:
These arms are the most important one, as they will pick an item up from the belt, at which point the other arms can then manipulate them.

Cutter Robot Arms:
These arms will be the one that does most of the work, being able to cut out gears out of sheet iron, or stip copper plates into cable.

Assembler Robot Arms:
These arms will then weld items together to create the finished product.

Here will be some examples of items created by the mod.

Iron Gear:
Holder arm picks up an iron plate, and the cutter arm then cuts out a iron gear.

Copper Wires:
Holder arm picks up a copper plate, then the cutter arm will cut out a strip of copper wire. As a copper plate can produce more than one copper wire, another holder arm will be required to take away the cut out copper wire and move it elsewhere before the wire can continue to be cut.

Green Circuits:
Holder arm Alpha picks up an iron plate, then holder arms Beta and Gamma picks up a copper wire each to the same spot as Alpha, and then an assembler arm welds it all together.

That's just about it, do tell me what you guys think about it

Natha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Assembly Line mod

Post by Natha »

nice idea :)

Dreadicon
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Assembly Line mod

Post by Dreadicon »

Just want to say I would totally use this mod. I also have some knowledge of the API, as well as a programming background. Let me know if you want to add me on some form of messenger; I don't know how much I will have time/brainspace to directly contribute, but I can offer review and someone to bounce things off of.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”