[Request] Configurable cost multipliers (Marathon Inspired)

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
~Poke~
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Request] Configurable cost multipliers (Marathon Inspired)

Post by ~Poke~ »

I've been thinking about this for a couple days, and even went to write it today but 3 hours later I'm just confused about variables and Lua in general.

This mod would work similarly to the Marathon mod, where specific crafting costs are multiplied, leading to much larger factories. However I guess I wanted more user choice involved, rather than the pre chosen changes in that mod.

For the item categories:
Iron, Copper, Steel, Oil, Intermediates, Modules, Research, Final

Apply multipliers for:
Bandwidth, Cost, Time

Bandwidth: Multiply output of recipe and Input of all recipes that use it
Cost: Multiply all inputs of the recipe
Time: Multiply crafting time

Categories:
Iron: Iron plates
Copper: Copper plates
Steel: Steel
Oil: Oil processing, Advanced oil processing
Intermediates: Cable, Gears, Circuits, Sulfur, Plastic, Batteries, Iron sticks, Engine Units, Explosives, maybe more?
Modules: Modules
Research: Research (or maybe science packs. Probably one or the other, not both)
Final: Finished products eg. Assembly machines, lights, transport belts (even though they're craftable further), rail, locomotive

The bandwidth, cost, time multipliers are all defined in a config file individually for each category of item.

Bandwidth should probably not apply to final products, research, modules, oil.

Possibly an option to reduce fractions? Eg if Copper bandwidth is doubled then 2 Copper Plate = 2 Copper Wire, should change to 1:1
I'm worried that might completely defeat the purpose in some situations? But I don't think it does.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Request] Configurable cost multipliers (Marathon Inspired)

Post by Koub »

Hi,

The problem with that is it's very difficult to achieve a definite balancing. Adding a too big multiplicator at some place, and your scaling problems skyrocket. The Marathon mod changes somes things, but while some things are upscaled, some others are downscaled. And even with that, I find it's just a little too much, even for a marathon. It's more like a Hardrock 100 race.

I think a mod that provides higher quantities requirements for crafting need an overall balancing, letting too much for the player to setup would transfer that balancing work to the player, which would be like a little overwhelming.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

~Poke~
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [Request] Configurable cost multipliers (Marathon Inspired)

Post by ~Poke~ »

Yes, it could lead to a huge scaling problem - if the user configures it like that.
I've tried playing marathon, and will probably try it again but I found that some of the changes are crazy - such as the mining drill costing 25 circuits, which in turn cost 50 copper plate each. 1.25k copper for a mining drill is a lot.
I was looking to set up a game that had a slightly easier scale in the beginning, and would only ramp into this craziness once the player had some level of automation.

And then rather than set that up manually, I thought it would be easier if it was configurable like this!

In the interest of a beatable game, I probably wouldn't set any multipliers above 3, and a few would definitely be staying at 1. But that's just my speculation.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”