[Idea] Modular Locomotives

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Lubricus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Idea] Modular Locomotives

Post by Lubricus »

More interesting trains with modular locomotives with some sort of inventory slots where you have to place engines and brakes for the locomotive to work.
You could have brakes, storage box (for fuel) boiler and a steam engine or an combustion engine + storage tank or batteries + electric engines.

Patashu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [Idea] Modular Locomotives

Post by Patashu »

For inspiration, a zombie post apocalyptic roguelike called Cataclysm DDA has a modular vehicle system where every tile can be configured and damaged/repaired separately' so they may have ideas worth reusing.

EDIT:

http://cddawiki.chezzo.com/cdda_wiki/in ... e=Vehicles
http://cddawiki.chezzo.com/cdda_wiki/in ... car:_Guide
http://cddawiki.chezzo.com/cdda_wiki/in ... ign_Primer
Last edited by Patashu on Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

This does seem interesting. As a note, for this to work a method of automatically building those trains and equiping modules is required, because doing that manually is a problem. Its OK for modular armor, because its one instance and directly connected to the player. Its a bit more annoying with vehicles. You mass produce trains, so it is a problem when you get that far.

+Support, but needs more discussion and clarification.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Lubricus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lubricus »

Ranakastrasz wrote:This does seem interesting. As a note, for this to work a method of automatically building those trains and equiping modules is required, because doing that manually is a problem. Its OK for modular armor, because its one instance and directly connected to the player. Its a bit more annoying with vehicles. You mass produce trains, so it is a problem when you get that far.

+Support, but needs more discussion and clarification.
I don't think my old computer can handle a factory of the size that need mass production of trains.
inserters can ad and remove modules from beacons so that could work for trains to. Then we need some way to automatically let the locomotives go from "item" state to a "entity" state as is possible with bots. I assume that in current state that an locomotive added on a rail track with an inserter just will stay as an item on the track and not transform to an entity. So I think the best solution would be an special station that make the item-> entity change for Locomotives and with several of this in a row why not be able to ad wagons to that connect to the locomotive and automatically build whole trains that roll out from the "foundry" station.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I would love this sort of thing. The closest thing we have right now though is the equipment grid system.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”