Mod request: Highlight orphaned underground belts and pipes

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Mod request: Highlight orphaned underground belts and pipes

Post by Jackalope_Gaming »

Would it be possible to have a mod that somehow highlights orphaned underground belts or pipes? Having to track them down and figure out which part is missing its mate is quite the exercise in frustration.

Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Mod request: Highlight orphaned underground belts and pipes

Post by Kayanor »

Moved from Helper Mods.
Former moderator.

SirRichie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SirRichie »

I like the idea. This is certainly possible.
I am a bit swamped with some other things at the moment, but may get to work on the mod by the end of next week (hopefully).

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

okay, there are two ways that you could go about to making a mod that does this. You (or actually I) could check per placed entity if the entity is an belt-to-ground. And if you do not place another one place an easily spottable "cover" entity over it to show that it has not been finished yet, the problem with this is. one could also go the long way round and check the complete world for placed transport belt to ground entities and check for those to be connected to another one. The easiest way round would be creatable within the hour, the second one would probably take me a day.

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

So, where I'm at now:

You get a popup at the start of the game. It asks if you want to check the complete world. If so the game takes about 10 seconds to check the complete world for underground belts that do not have an attached part. If you choose 'no' the game will every time that you place an underground belt: Wait ten (or so, you tell me what you want) seconds. and then check if the entity in question has an attached part. If not it will give you a message in chat telling you where it is. And when it finds that you have placed an attachment it does not say anything. Is that how you imagined it, or do you want another thing added?

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

Part one is done, the checking at the begin of the game works. I attached a version that does what you want it to do, but it does not yet check whilst playing as I'm working on that still.
Attachments
UBS_0.0.1.zip
UBS_0.0.1
(222.82 KiB) Downloaded 287 times

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

I uploaded version 0.0.1 to the forums, I'm still working on it, but the passive and active searching work.

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 96&t=20071

Montego
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Montego »

The most fitting way to indicate a disconnected underground transport belt or pipe would be a blinking icon, just like the no fuel or no power icons.

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

Montego wrote:The most fitting way to indicate a disconnected underground transport belt or pipe would be a blinking icon, just like the no fuel or no power icons.
Hi, thanks for the feedback, might I politely ask you to give feedback at the thread of the mod? (link in desc) it makes it a lot easier to keep responses sorted. Thanks!

That would indeed be a good idea, I now have the arrow, but I am thinking of changing it to an icon, I don't know if I can make a annotation in the bottom like when being attacked or having too less robots etc... it is a good idea though!

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”