Version 1.1.38

Information about releases and roadmap.
Post Reply
User avatar
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 1:48 pm

Version 1.1.38

Post by FactorioBot »

Changes
  • New Titillium style font for Cyrillic languages.
Bugfixes
  • Fixed inconsistency when fast-replacing ghosts with circuit connections. (98948)
  • Fixed an issue with drag-building electric poles with long wire reach. (99205)
  • Fixed a crash related to tutorials and modding. (99385)
  • Fixed an issue with LuaEntity::set_request_slot() and duplicates. (99209)
  • Fixed that picking blueprints from the library through quickbar slots didn't fire the Lua cursor stack changed event. (99573)
  • Fixed items with durability/ammo wouldn't merge properly in some cases. (99087)
  • Fixed a roboport "recharging" icon appearing when not connected to the electric network. (99582)
  • Fixed an issue with roboports left in recharging state when revived from ghosts. (99582)
  • Fixed an issue where an error sound played when pasting onto a power switch from anything other than another power switch (99378)
  • Fixed that the non-blocking saving option would be reset when resuming a multiplayer game using the continue button. (99035)
  • Fixed 'Close preview' button having cut off text in some locales. (99551)
  • Fixed a crash when deleting surfaces with script-connected electric poles. (99641)
Scripting
  • Added LuaEntity and LuaUnitGroup::set_distraction_command.
  • Added LuaSurface::find_nearest_enemy_entity_with_owner().
  • Added LuaForce::is_friend() and is_enemy().
Use the automatic updater if you can (check experimental updates in other settings) or download full installation at http://www.factorio.com/download/experimental.

Braxus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 1.1.38

Post by Braxus »

As always for all those bug fix.
You are an amazing team

User avatar
disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 3:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 1.1.38

Post by disentius »

Thank you:)

User avatar
Filter62
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 1.1.38

Post by Filter62 »

I'm always amazed how you fix bugs I never knew existed) :mrgreen:

Shadow_Man
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 1.1.38

Post by Shadow_Man »

This new cyrillic font... It has become smaller and bolder, the readability has deteriorated. :(

User avatar
Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 4957
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 1.1.38

Post by Klonan »

Shadow_Man wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:01 pm
This new cyrillic font... It has become smaller and bolder, the readability has deteriorated. :(
Hello,
We took quite some care in comparing before and after, making sure that the new font was as good if not better than before, considering all the different label styles, sizes, and colors.

Can you give some specific examples of where readability is negatively affected? IE specific GUIs, scales, usages, etc.

Shadow_Man
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 1.1.38

Post by Shadow_Man »

Klonan wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:46 pm
Shadow_Man wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:01 pm
This new cyrillic font... It has become smaller and bolder, the readability has deteriorated. :(
Hello,
We took quite some care in comparing before and after, making sure that the new font was as good if not better than before, considering all the different label styles, sizes, and colors.

Can you give some specific examples of where readability is negatively affected? IE specific GUIs, scales, usages, etc.
The new font is slightly narrower and, more importantly, the lines are thinner, which makes it less readable.
Here's a comparison of version 1.1.37 and 1.1.38. (Better open/download images in new tabs with 100% scale)

OldImageNewImage

OldImageNewImage

At 125% scale (I play in this mode) a little better, but still the old font is easier for the eye to perceive.
OldImageNewImage

The bold type has become a little bolder and, together with the general narrowing, also became a little worse to be perceived.
OldImageNewImage

But this, of course, is just my opinion.

User avatar
valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1130
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:43 am
Contact:

Re: Version 1.1.38

Post by valneq »

From what I understand, this change was triggered by this discussion over at crowdin:
https://crowdin.com/project/factorio/discussions/195

I believe the actual font "Titillium" that Factorio shipped with previously had no support for cyrillic whatsoever, so the "old" font that you show in your screenshots was a replacement or fallback font. I am not 100% sure where this fallback came from, but it most likely depends on your operating system, so for me (Arch Linux) it looked really bad previously (1.1.37) :
cyrillic_37.png
cyrillic_37.png (100.87 KiB) Viewed 8753 times
With the new, modified Titillium, the game does not pick a random font for cyrillic (1.1.38):
cyrillic_38.png
cyrillic_38.png (92.78 KiB) Viewed 8753 times

User avatar
WIZ4
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 1.1.38

Post by WIZ4 »

Shadow_Man wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:01 pm
This new cyrillic font... It has become smaller and bolder, the readability has deteriorated. :(
I agree. The new font has become difficult to read :(
My native language is russian. Sorry if my messages are difficult to read.

Shadow_Man
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 1.1.38

Post by Shadow_Man »

valneq wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:42 pm
From what I understand, this change was triggered by this discussion over at crowdin:
https://crowdin.com/project/factorio/discussions/195

I believe the actual font "Titillium" that Factorio shipped with previously had no support for cyrillic whatsoever, so the "old" font that you show in your screenshots was a replacement or fallback font. I am not 100% sure where this fallback came from, but it most likely depends on your operating system, so for me (Arch Linux) it looked really bad previously (1.1.37) :

With the new, modified Titillium, the game does not pick a random font for cyrillic (1.1.38):
On my system (Windows 10 Insider Preview, without additional fonts and settings), the old and new fonts in the language list looks the same. But the old font has sharper and smoother letter lines and looks better.
OldImageNewImage

User avatar
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 12297
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 1.1.38

Post by ssilk »

Maybe I didn’t understand the problem: Wouldn’t it be much easier to add Cyrillic chars to the old font? I mean, there are surely specialists out there, which have the tools to do that.

Background: typography is as complex as sound design, and for sound design you also hired someone.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

User avatar
Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 4957
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 1.1.38

Post by Klonan »

ssilk wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:24 am
Wouldn’t it be much easier to add Cyrillic chars to the old font?
Yes that is what the new Lilittium font is, it is Titillium extended with Cryllic characters
(Due to the OFL license, it could not re-use the Titillium name)

User avatar
Raze1991
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: Version 1.1.38

Post by Raze1991 »

FactorioBot wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:17 pm
Changes
  • New Titillium style font for Cyrillic languages.
The new font looks better and is more similar to the style of the original font.
Check out my red selection to compare old, new and the original one.
Fonts compare
Pay special attention to the text in front of the tooltip icons.

Thanks a lot for this change!
Sorry for my English.

Shadow_Man
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 1.1.38

Post by Shadow_Man »

What about adding 2 (or more) fonts to the interface options?
Or ability to choose font from OS fonts?
And size of font?

Upd:
There are several fonts included in Core/Fonts folder, and font selection order in Locale/XX/info.json file.
Maybe add option to adjust that font styles order?

velesarcanum
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 1.1.38

Post by velesarcanum »

Hello. I would be glad if they returned the old style for the Russian (Cyrillic) text. With the new update (38), the font has become unreadable. Eyes get tired very quickly. Which is not good news, especially on a laptop. Yesterday, after installing the update, after 3-5 minutes my eyes got tired. Which has never happened before in 2 years.

Or at least add an option so that you can choose the desired font yourself.

In the interface settings as an option

velesarcanum
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 1.1.38

Post by velesarcanum »

Shadow_Man wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:27 pm
valneq wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:42 pm
From what I understand, this change was triggered by this discussion over at crowdin:
https://crowdin.com/project/factorio/discussions/195

I believe the actual font "Titillium" that Factorio shipped with previously had no support for cyrillic whatsoever, so the "old" font that you show in your screenshots was a replacement or fallback font. I am not 100% sure where this fallback came from, but it most likely depends on your operating system, so for me (Arch Linux) it looked really bad previously (1.1.37) :

With the new, modified Titillium, the game does not pick a random font for cyrillic (1.1.38):
On my system (Windows 10 Insider Preview, without additional fonts and settings), the old and new fonts in the language list looks the same. But the old font has sharper and smoother letter lines and looks better.
OldImageNewImage
Agree. The old font looks better. And his eyes do not hurt.

Do you know how to get through to developers so that they at least turn on the ability to choose the desired font?

It's unrealistic to play with the new update.

User avatar
valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1130
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:43 am
Contact:

Re: Version 1.1.38

Post by valneq »

Shadow_Man wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:27 pm
valneq wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:42 pm
From what I understand, this change was triggered by this discussion over at crowdin:
https://crowdin.com/project/factorio/discussions/195

I believe the actual font "Titillium" that Factorio shipped with previously had no support for cyrillic whatsoever, so the "old" font that you show in your screenshots was a replacement or fallback font. I am not 100% sure where this fallback came from, but it most likely depends on your operating system, so for me (Arch Linux) it looked really bad previously (1.1.37) :

With the new, modified Titillium, the game does not pick a random font for cyrillic (1.1.38):
On my system (Windows 10 Insider Preview, without additional fonts and settings), the old and new fonts in the language list looks the same. But the old font has sharper and smoother letter lines and looks better.
OldImageNewImage
What confuses me about this observation in particular is that Swedish "Svenska" changes from "old" to "new", as do the numbers.
But neither Latin part of the font, nor the numbers have been touched (from what I understand) between the two versions in question.

It is almost as if the font is rendered with different settings, especially "weak" vs "strong" hinting, or as if there is unintended font replacement happening in the background. There is definitely some OS-specific thing going on here.
This change does not happen on my Linux system, the look of "Svenska" and of the numbers is the same in the screenshots that I provided in this post:
valneq wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:42 pm
[…]

Shadow_Man
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 1.1.38

Post by Shadow_Man »

valneq wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:12 am
It is almost as if the font is rendered with different settings, especially "weak" vs "strong" hinting, or as if there is unintended font replacement happening in the background. There is definitely some OS-specific thing going on here.
This change does not happen on my Linux system, the look of "Svenska" and of the numbers is the same in the screenshots that I provided in this post:
valneq wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:42 pm
[…]
In Factorio 1.1.37 main font was Lato, in the last update 1.1.38 new font is Lilittium. They differ in the style of letters, both Latin and Cyrillic, and numbers. The Lato font is more "rounded", but in your screenshots the old font is clearly not Lato. Apparently, for some reason, it is not used, and the system loaded the next font from the list or used a similar font (this happens when the font is not available).

Here some comparison of fonts with Russian test phrase:
(I am using Tahoma now, much more easy to read)
fonts 100.png
fonts 100.png (77.4 KiB) Viewed 4052 times

ikm
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 1.1.38

Post by ikm »

This font also has kerning problems. For example, in main menu "Звук" looks more like "З вук".

Post Reply

Return to “Releases”