Version 0.5.1

Information about releases and roadmap.
kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Version 0.5.1

Post by kovarex »

Hello, we just released version 0.5.1, it is mainly bugfix release with some additional graphics replacement.
  • Features:
    • Arrows for mining drill output when building and in Alt mode.
    • Vehicle riding in God mode (vehicle must be selected when pressing enter key).
    • Safe and resource-rich starting area for freeplay.
  • Bugfixes:
    • Enabled loading of saves with corrupted rail segments setup from 0.4.x versions
    • Fix of crash when opening laboratory with no active research.
    • Fixed map editor crash when displaying enemy turret entity info.
    • Added options button to the map editor menu.
    • Esc in map editor menu returns to map editing.
    • Fix bug of logistic storage not updated when rebuilding chest to storage.
    • Fixed bug of alt-info + logistic storage beeing off after shift/control click of items that don't fit into inventory.
    • Added missing english translation records.
    • Fixed crash when train destroyed another wagon / locomotive.
    • Fixed crash when using setcommand with defins.command.gotolocation.
    • Style for button pie slice progress color (used for crafting slot).
    • Small gui style fixes (car gui, inserter gui)
    • Unified gui title bottom styles.
    • Minimal width for dialog buttons.
    • Fixed crashes in updater.
    • Fixed the steam engine power output indicator (allowing it to have value up to 100%)
    • Fixed position of the FPS info (now in the top left)
    • Fixed changing god speed on autozoom (F9)
    • Boiler is fast replaceable with pipes (and vice versa).
    • Fixed the bug of the wrong calculation of craftable items.
    • Fixed missing file in Linux tarball.
  • Changes:
    • Smooth progress bar for splash screen.
    • Faster god movement speed.
  • Graphics:
    • New radar graphics.
    • New boiler graphics.
    • New steam engine graphics.
    • New pump graphics.
    • New pipes graphics.
Downloadable as usual at https://www.factorio.com/download/experimental
Edit: The updater from 0.5.0 -> 0.5.1 can't be used, as we forgot to distinguish between win32 and win64 identification of the binary while searching for packages.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Version 0.5.1

Post by MF- »

Yes, the buttons look way better now.

tonberrytoby
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tonberrytoby »

kovarex wrote: Edit: The updater from 0.5.0 -> 0.5.1 can't be used, as we forgot to distinguish between win32 and win64 identification of the binary while searching for packages.
Should it work under linux? It doesn't for me.

Narnach
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Narnach »

kovarex wrote:
  • Arrows for mining drill output when building and in Alt mode.
  • Boiler is fast replaceable with pipes (and vice versa).
I like these two changes. They make life a little more convenient.
kovarex wrote:
  • New radar graphics.
  • New boiler graphics.
  • New steam engine graphics.
  • New pump graphics.
  • New pipes graphics.
The new graphics look very nice!

The radar still does not do anything for freeplay mode, right?
Identity is cheap, reputation is priceless.

Let's Player over at https://youtube.com/narnach

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

tonberrytoby wrote:
kovarex wrote: Edit: The updater from 0.5.0 -> 0.5.1 can't be used, as we forgot to distinguish between win32 and win64 identification of the binary while searching for packages.
Should it work under linux? It doesn't for me.
The 0.5.1 has to be downloaded manually for all platforms for technical reasons I don't want to bother you with technical details, we are learning on the way. I hope the next version will be updatable.

VolvoxGlobator
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by VolvoxGlobator »

Hi,

I as well am not overly keen on having multiplayer asap. Actually, I dont think it is needed at all. Especially for sandbox mode, where everyone makes his own creations. Obviously I wouldnt mind being it in game, but it is very low on my personal want-to-have feature list.
Btw, have a look at Stardock - their games like Galactic civilizations or Fallen Enchantress dont have MP either. I believe that the idea is that if the game takes more than circa 5 hours, finding partners and time window becomes extremely difficult for large majority of people. Even the civ games, which has hugely popular singleplayer had multiplayer kinda barren compared to amount of sold copies. Multiplayer is cool word to have and seems to be prefered by reviewers, but I am not sure I get the added value for Factorio.

MP aside, you mentioned that you do zero marketing now. Guys, you shouldnt underestimate the needed momentum. It seems a little bit unrealistic that you will start with marketing efforts once the funds run out. This should be ongoing effort, you cannot expect to succeed in few days after you start... At the very least update the blog on the homepage (for many indoegames, the first thing I check is date of newest post on the main page to see if it is not dead), do more facebook posts, simply create some buzz. I understand that major effort should come with "releasable" release and I agree, but this doesnt mean that you cannot get some attention beforehand.

That being said, the game is great and unique. Keep doing great wrok. Zdar!

RawCode
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RawCode »

Galactic civilizations or Fallen Enchantress
what about fallout? what about assasins creed? witcher?

many actually good games are SP, this is not "issue", much more better to invest time into gameplay improvements

Grey
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Grey »

Hi Gents,

i want to discuss this Multiplayer idea a little bit, because in my eyes it is crucial. The simple question is:
What is better than discover a huge planet, create complex workflows and machines, gigantic factory complexes and automated good transfer by trains etc,..... Yes! You're right, to do all this together with your friends.

For me this game has all what was missing in Minecraft. So look what has made minecraft this addictive. It was open world "content creation"... together with friends.

Also if the enemies are getting tougher and more intelligent, you will be happy to have a friend at your side to help you repair broken belts and power lines. In my eyes a MP multiplies the longterm motivation and gives plenty of new possiblities and needs.

In Singleplayer, yes you have the scenarios and campaigns, but be honest, after 4-5 times building a factory from scratch you got routine, and after playing 4-5 scenarios more with routine it's getting boring.

I'm interested in yours and also in the opinion of the devs.

andzoak
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by andzoak »

MP was promised in time of indiegogo campain. So now it is not matter of discussion because devs doesn't want to fool their supporters

Grey
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Grey »

Yeah sure, but i want to ask the ones not demanding the mp how they would keep the players in the game.

wrtlprnft
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wrtlprnft »

The prison architect guys just implemented a system where you can easily share maps with other players in-game. Something I like to do with the few available saves on these forums is to load them into the game and just walk around the unknown machine and watch it in action.

I know that this is definitely not as exciting as true multiplayer, and probably quite boring to implement, but it might provide some sort of activity for players who got tired of starting over.

Darenkel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Darenkel »

Am I the only one that can't load their saves with this build? Every time I try, it crashes the game... so I have to keep making new games all the time. (Older builds don't have this issue. I've been saving each main version (0.3.x, 0.4.x, and so on) separately to make sure stuff doesn't break between builds.)

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Darenkel wrote:Am I the only one that can't load their saves with this build? Every time I try, it crashes the game... so I have to keep making new games all the time. (Older builds don't have this issue. I've been saving each main version (0.3.x, 0.4.x, and so on) separately to make sure stuff doesn't break between builds.)
That seems like an error. Could you post somewhere one of the crashins saves please. Also are you using any mods?

RawCode
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RawCode »

currently gameplay is grinding only, mp wont keep players if there is nothing to do, i just cant see any reason to "play" current version of factorio, edge tech progression done by 1 hour grinding and then there is nothing to do, placing over 9999 inserters all around is not fun.

there is no way to upgrade your "factory" only expand it - mass furnaces, inserters and miners.
it just like vanilla mincraft without ability to place blocks or with ability to place blocks but without any crafting.

i strongly suggest to check few minecraft mods, like buildcraft, redpower2 and industrial craft2, they all feature MULTIPLE tiers of same objects, each tier in most cases not just +10 speed or 20% more HP, something special is added.

Darenkel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Darenkel »

I'm not using any mods. The game throws a "Can't Find" error on the 'levels.dat' file that is in '...\roaming\wow\' (also, the start of the line reads 'C:/users\...')

I get the error just after I click the 'Load Game' button. This has nothing to do with the saves themselves (they work on the other builds).

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Darenkel wrote:I'm not using any mods. The game throws a "Can't Find" error on the 'levels.dat' file that is in '...\roaming\wow\' (also, the start of the line reads 'C:/users\...')

I get the error just after I click the 'Load Game' button. This has nothing to do with the saves themselves (they work on the other builds).
However, the content of the save might matter.
There might be, say, an error in a conversion script.
Please attach it.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

wrtlprnft wrote:The prison architect guys just implemented a system where you can easily share maps with other players in-game. Something I like to do with the few available saves on these forums is to load them into the game and just walk around the unknown machine and watch it in action.
They didn't develop this system by themself but are using Steam SDK and its content sharing feature for this.

Developing such system on your own requires a few things:
1. Adding capability to the game to download or upload some files from some server - not verry hard
2. Developing seververvide web service whic would be used for sending and retrieving data from game client - verry hard as it needs to be bug free.
3. You need to have high performance server which would be capable of running your web service. Also the server itself shouldn't have any bandwich limitation (the amount of data that can be transfered in certain time). Costs for having such server are quite large.
In short implementing this on your own would require even more work than implementing multiplayer capability.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

So.. in prison architect was included some sort of "social network" implementation?
Sounds like a lot of work compared to a "save as & zip" button, that would produce a zip'd world and store it where requested.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

wrtlprnft wrote:The prison architect guys just implemented a system where you can easily share maps with other players in-game. Something I like to do with the few available saves on these forums is to load them into the game and just walk around the unknown machine and watch it in action
Sounds like a nice feature. I also enjoy walking through other people's factories and discovering things.
SilverWarior wrote:Developing such system on your own requires a few things:
1. Adding capability to the game to download or upload some files from some server - not verry hard
2. Developing seververvide web service whic would be used for sending and retrieving data from game client - verry hard as it needs to be bug free.
3. You need to have high performance server which would be capable of running your web service. Also the server itself shouldn't have any bandwich limitation (the amount of data that can be transfered in certain time). Costs for having such server are quite large.
In short implementing this on your own would require even more work than implementing multiplayer capability.
I wouldn't say that it is more work than to implement multiplayer. However the points raised by SilverWarrior are valid. It would be quite some work with non-trivial setups. If Steam SDK supports thit then we can think about this once (if) we get on steam.
MF- wrote:Sounds like a lot of work compared to a "save as & zip" button, that would produce a zip'd world and store it where requested.
Storing saves as zips by default will be done soon.

andzoak
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by andzoak »

I think that there is needed something more than just building. There is need a specific purpose, not only just building and unlocking new techs. Maybe - something like terraforming of planet? Or fundation of colony and providing supplies. Currently gameplay is to simple.

MP can add competition between players - if they can fight with each other then game become more interesting.

Return to “Releases”