Version 0.18.38

Information about releases and roadmap.
User avatar
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 1:48 pm

Version 0.18.38

Post by FactorioBot »

Graphics
  • Improved the blueprint grid visualisation, so it shows a rectangle instead of just the corners.
  • Added blueprint grid visualisation when building in the world.
Bugfixes
  • Fixed cleaning ghost cursor. (87257)
  • Fixed crash when clicking a blueprint book upgrade slot with an upgrade planner in hand.
  • Fixed navigating in a blueprint book item when opened directly from a quickbar. (87256)
  • Fixed that it was possible to put book into itself using hand->swap and clean cursor.
  • Fixed that the hand functionality didn't work properly for gun and ammo and gave misleading error messages in some cases.
  • Fixed "slice" property of animation definition was interpreted as dicing parameter, possibly causing large memory allocations. (87274)
  • Fixed that grabbing gun/ammo, swapping it with some other item in the inventory and pressing Q, gave a message of inventory full, instead of the item in cursor not being returnable to the hand location
  • Fixed that Internal inventory stack transfer messages weren't specific enough, or not present at all.
Modding
  • Renamed sprite and animation properties for sprite dicing from "slice", "slice_x" and "slice_y" to "dice", "dice_x" and "dice_y", because "slice" collided with property of rotated animation definition used for defining spritesheet sliced into multiple files. Sprite dicing is a technique of chopping large sprite into smaller ones to improve packing in sprite atlas.
Scripting
  • Fixed a typo (per vs pre) in the on_pre_permission_group_deleted event name.
Use the automatic updater if you can (check experimental updates in other settings) or download full installation at http://www.factorio.com/download/experimental.

User avatar
Omnifarious
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 0.18.38

Post by Omnifarious »

Thank you! That definitely fixes the ghost stuck in the hand problem.

AmericanPatriot
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:47 am
Contact:

Re: Version 0.18.38

Post by AmericanPatriot »

So fast!

dodexahedron
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 0.18.38

Post by dodexahedron »

The linux download is failing with a 404 right now.

DanaScully
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 1:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 0.18.38

Post by DanaScully »

I'd like to keep my blueprints in a specific order in a book. Before this blueprint overhaul I could simply insert a blueprint at a specific position within a book. The ones following would move to make space. This feature seems gone. It will only let me replace a blueprint. Am I too dumb to figure this out, or is it simply not possible anymore?
The Truth is out there

suprnova74
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:29 am
Contact:

Re: Version 0.18.38

Post by suprnova74 »

Windows standalone autoupdate is failing from 0.18.36 and 0.18.37 currently.

EDIT: 0.18.37 worked now. Odd. Previously it would download and just say "Update failed". Now it worked. Maybe it was a hash mismatch.
Last edited by suprnova74 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 720
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:54 am
Contact:

Re: Version 0.18.38

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

dodexahedron wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:44 am
The linux download is failing with a 404 right now.
I think this is location based. The CI for one of my projects also fails with a sha mismatch for no apparent reason.

https://travis-ci.org/github/factorioto ... 91070#L279

Pawz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:16 am
Contact:

Re: Version 0.18.38

Post by Pawz »

I may have found a game breaking bug.

If you create a deconstruction planner, set it to tile, 'only', select a tile (eg 'concrete') and then save it into your BP library --- if you attempt to use it from the bp library, you will crash the server / game.

Currently does on my Krastorio / SpaceEx server, checking on basic Factorio . . .


... Also does it in a basic game, no mods.
log
Last edited by Pawz on Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
------------------------------------
Making Sniper Turrets Balanced Again aka Run Run the Swarm is Coming (Swarmageddon)
How it Should Have Started - A less 'cheaty' quick start (You won't want to play w/o this anymore)
No Wall Repair Less Suiciding

Antyradek
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 0.18.38

Post by Antyradek »

Do you plan to replace "copy blueprint" icon?
C letter looks out of place and in some languages it should be K instead.

Kamel
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 0.18.38

Post by Kamel »

The Blueprint name is not shown when using a nested blueprint book in the zoomed out map view :o

AmericanPatriot
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:47 am
Contact:

Re: Version 0.18.38

Post by AmericanPatriot »

DanaScully wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:08 am
I'd like to keep my blueprints in a specific order in a book. Before this blueprint overhaul I could simply insert a blueprint at a specific position within a book. The ones following would move to make space. This feature seems gone. It will only let me replace a blueprint. Am I too dumb to figure this out, or is it simply not possible anymore?
You have to manually move them all over

Shadow_Man
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 0.18.38

Post by Shadow_Man »

I think it would be useful to add "Sort" buttons in BP library.
E.g. "Sort alphabetically (ascending/descending)", "Unsorted" (your manual order).
Image
P.S. Copy button also need redesign (maybe as above) ;)

RoadRunner71
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 0.18.38

Post by RoadRunner71 »

I must be missing something with this update. I want my blueprints to STAY in the blueprint book when I want to use some of the blueprints. I do NOT like that it REMOVES the blueprint from the book if you pull it into your inventory. Is there some way I can FORCE the blueprint to STAY in the blueprint book? I tried using the copy button, C. But that just copies the ENTIRE blueprint book. I don't WANT the entire blueprint book. If I did, I'd just copy that. Why did you change this? It worked just fine before. And it MADE SENSE. This makes no sense to me. If I take a blueprint out to use it then delete it like I normally do, it's just GONE. I can see NO reason to do what you did, here. Please put it back the way it was. That was much simpler to use and I didn't have to worry about deleting a blueprint by mistake. With this update, I've had to go back and recreate several blueprints because I didn't realize that it REMOVED them from the book if I put them in my inventory. It has NEVER done this before. So why do this? Why do you insist on there only being one copy of a blueprint, now? It existed in both places before. I would very much like it if you undid this change. I absolutely do NOT like this change.

I also picked up a blueprint book by accident (instead of opening it) and when I dropped it back, it put it at the end of the list of blueprint books. And I can't move it back to where it was which were in alphabetical order. Why? This is a trivial thing to do in a linked list. So why did you take away our ability to put any blueprint or book in any position? I may eventually get to the point where some of the changes you made are useful to me (most are not, at the moment). But why take away functionality that used to be there AND add functionality that makes using blueprints the way we used to dangerous. Now unless you remember to put the blueprint BACK into the book, it's just gone from the blueprint book. What possible reason could you have for doing that? I certainly can't think of one.

Why make such a fundamental change that the blueprints now only exist either in the book or in your inventory but not both? I see no advantage to doing that. That's why I say I must be missing something. IS there a way to COPY a blueprint from the book into your inventory so when you remove it from your inventory it's not just gone completely? Why would you do that? Why was that a good idea? Did someone actually ask for that? Again, why?

Also, one of the blueprints I had in my inventory, I did something (I don't recall exactly what I did, I think I just shift left-clicked on it) and it was just gone. Not in my trash and not in my inventory. Where did it go? I wasn't in range of my bot network. So, I know it wasn't taken from the trash immediately. It's just gone. And I have no idea, really, what happened to it.

Many, if not most of the changes you make I like or at least don't care about because they don't affect me negatively. And some of the changes you've made I've absolutely loved. But not the change that a blueprint only exists in the book or in your inventory. You've made it FAR too easy to just lose blueprints and books with this update. I even lost an entire blueprint book because I pulled it into my inventory and then removed it. I only noticed later that it wasn't in my blueprints AT ALL anymore. 18 blueprints just gone. And since they were starter base blueprints and I've removed the starter base, I will have to remake them completely from scratch. This change has affected me very negatively and it made me so angry when I lost several blueprints and even an entire blueprint book permanently because of this change that I just rage quit the game. Now, I'm almost afraid to use blueprints not knowing what other bombs you've hidden in there. To say I'm not a happy camper, right now, would be a giant understatement.

badtouchatr
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 0.18.38

Post by badtouchatr »

RoadRunner71 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:47 am
Why would you do that? Why was that a good idea? Did someone actually ask for that? Again, why?
I have no idea why. As I stated in a post under 18.37, they decided to introduce a new major feature into their software when they are going to release the 1.0 version in just 2 weeks.

To show why this wasn't a good idea, look at all the bugfixes they have in 18.39 relating just to the blueprint library stuff. It's a good thing I've downloaded some earlier 0.18 versions and am playing on them now. With Steam's idiotic update algorithm, I feel I was forced to do this. And now, with kovarex waking up from his sabbatical and trashing the nearly stable code with an apparently buggy rewrite of the blueprint library, it turns out it was a good idea that I did do it.

ickputzdirwech
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 10:16 am
Contact:

Re: Version 0.18.38

Post by ickputzdirwech »

I think it was a good idea to overhaul the blueprint library. Even though there were just a few weeks until 1.0 . It was one of the most wanted features and most people will get used to the new behaviour in just a few days.
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write.

RoadRunner71
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 0.18.38

Post by RoadRunner71 »

ickputzdirwech wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:19 am
I think it was a good idea to overhaul the blueprint library. Even though there were just a few weeks until 1.0 . It was one of the most wanted features and most people will get used to the new behaviour in just a few days.
I doubt very much that I'll get used to this new blueprint manager because I'm rolling back to 18.37, possibly forever.

I'd like to know if they're going to fix the blueprint manager to put those missing features back in. They changed the fundamental behavior of the blueprint manager by only letting us have a blueprint in one place. We can't just copy it from the blueprint book and use it then delete it when we're done using it like we've done for a VERY long time. Now, we have to remember to put it back instead of just remove it from our inventory or it's gone completely when we delete it.

Also, if you're playing multiple games and pull a blueprint into your inventory to use then save that game and open another one and try to use the same blueprint it's no longer in the blueprint manager because it's in that other save game, now. That's why this was a bad idea. This is on a computer for Christs' sake. Making digital copies is what they do. Treating a digital blueprint as though it's a piece of vellum makes ZERO sense and causes problems like this.

If they're not going to restore the original (and logical) behavior of the blueprint manager then please tell us and tell us why you thought this was a good idea (it wasn't) and why you won't restore the previous behavior (that WAS a good idea).

ickputzdirwech
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 10:16 am
Contact:

Re: Version 0.18.38

Post by ickputzdirwech »

RoadRunner71 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:45 pm
[...] only letting us have a blueprint in one place.
This was the main reason, why they changed the blueprint library. In the past inventories got cluttered with blueprints and blueprint books and you never knew if they were just the copy or the original. Now you always know: it's the original. If you don't like this you can easily make copies of the blueprint, by opening it and clicking on the "C" button. Another option is to assign the blueprints from the library directly to your quickbar. This way it is easier to access and you just need to press middle mouse button to get rid of it.
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 4660
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 0.18.38

Post by posila »

RoadRunner71 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:45 pm
I doubt very much that I'll get used to this new blueprint manager because I'm rolling back to 18.37, possibly forever.
Please make sure you download experimantal build you want to stay on forever from our website. Experimental builds don't stay available on official channels forever.
RoadRunner71 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:45 pm
If they're not going to restore the original (and logical) behavior of the blueprint manager then please tell us and tell us why you thought this was a good idea (it wasn't) and why you won't restore the previous behavior (that WAS a good idea).
There are many long articles about the topic, the latest one here: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-356

I am not trying to be consecending and I do empathise with not liking changes to things that I am using, that make them look differently or require me to use them differently than I was used to. But it's not like the blueprint library changes came out of a blue, it was long time coming, and at this point one of two most requested changes (the second one being pipe simulation rewrite). So it's just ... some people not liking the latest change to the game is just Tuesday at this point (optimizations is about the only thing nobody does not complain about), and it takes time to sieve knee jerk reactions from people pointing out real issues.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1327
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:27 am
Contact:

Re: Version 0.18.38

Post by Qon »

RoadRunner71 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:45 pm
I'd like to know if they're going to fix the blueprint manager to put those missing features back in. They changed the fundamental behavior of the blueprint manager by only letting us have a blueprint in one place. We can't just copy it from the blueprint book and use it then delete it when we're done using it like we've done for a VERY long time. Now, we have to remember to put it back instead of just remove it from our inventory or it's gone completely when we delete it.

Also, if you're playing multiple games and pull a blueprint into your inventory to use then save that game and open another one and try to use the same blueprint it's no longer in the blueprint manager because it's in that other save game, now. That's why this was a bad idea. This is on a computer for Christs' sake. Making digital copies is what they do. Treating a digital blueprint as though it's a piece of vellum makes ZERO sense and causes problems like this.

If they're not going to restore the original (and logical) behavior of the blueprint manager then please tell us and tell us why you thought this was a good idea (it wasn't) and why you won't restore the previous behavior (that WAS a good idea).

Kind of a repeat of what what ickputzdirwech said,
ickputzdirwech wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:07 pm
If you don't like this you can easily make copies of the blueprint, by opening it and clicking on the "C" button. Another option is to assign the blueprints from the library directly to your quickbar. This way it is easier to access and you just need to press middle mouse button to get rid of it.
but I don't really notice any drawbacks to the changes. Since I always just link my library BP's to my quickbar, or use them from the library itself instead of inventory, I don't have as much need to declutter my inventory from randomly copied blueprints now. Why move them from the library to your inventory when the library IS and inventory with unlimited space that is just as accessible as your regular limited inventory (I do have my mod InfiniteInventory though).
It doesn't make much sense to move or copy things from the library. Just quickbar link or use them without moving/copying.

What you said is factually wrong, and the new bahaviour seems better once you get used to it. Just try to never have blueprints in your main inventory. The reason you are having problems is because you are using it wrong. It just feels right because maybe it was right before. But with a fresh perspective it doesn't really have the disadvantages you say it has.

RoadRunner71
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Version 0.18.38

Post by RoadRunner71 »

I agree that part of what I said was factually incorrect. You can, in fact, still copy a blueprint. I don't think having to open the blueprint editor to copy it makes much sense. But you can copy it. It's just another step you have to go through. One that is hidden within the blueprint editor and not exposed on the list of blueprints where I think it should also be. When I want to copy a blueprint, I would not intuitively think to open the editor of the one I want to copy.

As for my "doing it wrong". That's your opinion. I don't happen to agree. But that's more of a philosophical issue and not worth arguing about. I was going to say "tomato" "tomato" but that looks silly in print. ;)

I feel less hostile to this change now that I know you can still copy a blueprint. But I'm still not a fan. Blueprints cluttering up my inventory has never been a problem for me. So, I don't see the need for this change. It's not a benefit to me.

Perhaps, had I seen the FFF on the 17th that Kovarex posted (missed that one - I've missed too many lately), this would not have hit me out of the blue. But this change to how blueprints work was not in the release notes. It should have been. I DO read those religiously as a matter of habit.

I have never used the quick-bar for blueprints. I put them in my inventory because that's most convenient for me. I put building materials in my quick-bar. Mainly because the quick-bar was there long before I started using blueprints. Old habits die hard.

As a software dev for 38 years, I've been where Kovarex was several times. Burnout sucks. I missed that FFF on the 17th. But I read it today. And I sympathize with him. Glad you got through it, Kovarex. It's a career ender for some.

I violated one of my own rules, today. Never post anything if you're still angry about it. And I was still very angry.

Post Reply

Return to “Releases”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Nosferatu