Factorio in the library

Information about releases and roadmap.
slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Factorio in the library

Post by slpwnd »

Hi guys,

we will be giving a presentation about Factorio in the Prague Suchdol Library this Thursday. More details are on our blog: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fact ... he-library. It is a last minute notice but better late than never:) If you are from Prague and have time then we will be happy to see you there.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Factorio in the library

Post by MF- »

I'll try to be there... but I am not promising anything.

metzyn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by metzyn »

I'll certainly be there considering I have the means and time to fly from TN, USA to Prague. Bad joke, I know. But it would be cool to be there.
Factorio Modder
Solar Expansion

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Do you have any estimate on duration?

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

No idea, we asked the organizers, but they haven't replied. I suppose it will take like an hour + discussion.

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aza-Industries »

Any chance of a recording?

I'd love to be there but it's a long walk and also some swimming too.

Arakasi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Arakasi »

Aza-Industries wrote:Any chance of a recording?

It will be mostly in czech language, so are you sure, that record will be usefull for you?

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

adding subtitles is not hard ;(

metzyn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by metzyn »

Arakasi wrote:

It will be mostly in czech language, so are you sure, that record will be usefull for you?
I feel like a moron... it didn't even dawn on me that it would be in another language. Sometimes it sucks being from the US as from a child in our school system we are conditioned to believe we are the greatest nation with the greatest government and the greatest language, etc. That shit gets old real fast.
Factorio Modder
Solar Expansion

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

metzyn wrote:
Arakasi wrote:

I feel like a moron... it didn't even dawn on me that it would be in another language. Sometimes it sucks being from the US as from a child in our school system we are conditioned to believe we are the greatest nation with the greatest government and the greatest language, etc. That shit gets old real fast.
Yes, and the best part is, when they are telling you that you have the biggest freedom in your country :)

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

kovarex wrote:Yes, and the best part is, when they are telling you that you have the biggest freedom in your country :)
Let's not put the oil on the fire :lol:

metzyn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by metzyn »

kovarex wrote:
Yes, and the best part is, when they are telling you that you have the biggest freedom in your country :)
What do you mean? I'm unsure if this is sarcastic.
Factorio Modder
Solar Expansion

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aza-Industries »

kovarex wrote:
Oh I love that one! :P

And yeah.. didn't even think about language, never-mind then :D

Oh and Metzyn I hate to be the bearer of bad news but AFAIK the rest of the the world has the common understanding that American's have very little freedom when compared to other 1st world countries, It's a sad irony. =/
Or something similar to that degree.

But nevermind that!
Goodluck with your presentation guys! or Hope your presentation went well guys!
I can never be sure, time is always in flux for me.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

As for a recording could always have someone add subtitles (or use google translate for laughs)
I'll stay clear of the US freedom discussion, it should go in another topic if people really want to talk (or rant) about it :D
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

FreeER wrote:As for a recording could always have someone add subtitles (or use google translate for laughs)
I'll stay clear of the US freedom discussion, it should go in another topic if people really want to talk (or rant) about it :D
It was quite a small talk and I had to leave early to catch a train.
Yeah, I am also staying out of the discussion, I don't want US Factorio user base being slain by drones.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

@ Library location:
Mapy.cz points "Suchdolská 360/59" here: http://www.mapy.cz/#q=Suchdolsk%25C3%25 ... 360%252F59
But in fact it's located here: http://www.mapy.cz/s/7i6c

It's not a failure of the library, but an Epic fail in Seznam's data quality.
EDIT: The problem was reported, reply shall be sent to library's e-mail address.

THENIRL
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by THENIRL »

Any chance of getting a little report on how it went? A summary or something, I'd love to know what happened. As far as english goes, being portuguese and having studied 4 or five other languages, I think it's safe to say it's the easiest language around: no declinations, no genders, amazingly simple verb conjugation and immensely versatile. It's the only foreign language I learned to speak without needing lessons!

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

I cannot really report.
I had to leave early and arrived 30 minutes late. 15 by being late, 15 by that map error (btw: I checked it again, it's fixed)

There was one guy who said that indie game development is compatible with having a family IF you decide to sell your (non-paying?) players to google admob.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Ok, so here goes a short report:

There was something like 10 - 15 people. Actually we were rather happy about that because we are not really accustomed to talking to people "in the real life" about what we do. Hope that didn't sound too nerdy. We prepared a brief set of topics upfront. Things like:
- what is indie game development
- why and how we started doing this
- what is factorio about
- what our day looks like & what we do apart from coding
- indiegogo campaign
- our goal with factorio

The talk on these topics took over an hour or so. They also had a laptop there with 0.4.1 version installed. So we showed them some example saves and basic game mechanics. I suppose it wasn't all that bad because the only person who was struggling to fall asleep was our graphic Albert. However in his case it is understandable because for him it was two hours of total jibberish (the whole thing was in Czech).

After the talk we had some space for Q & A. There was a guy who turned out to be a local successful businessman. He gave us couple of tips and advices. We probably won't follow any of them right now (expand to China, use google admob to monetize players who got the game on torrent, etc.) however he gave us some good insights.

Overall I would say it went quite well. They told us that if Factorio survives that they would be happy to see us again:)

_0rbit_
Inserter
Inserter

Post by _0rbit_ »

As for local businessmen-tips: Those are best ignored. I work in a highly innovative field in a rather big company and we get such "businessmen" here all the time. They never contribute anything, they hardly ever produce anything innovative. Some of them do not even have money or are not even successfull. They just have an opinion and a suit. The rest of us just have an opinion! :P

I think the best model to follow for development of the game is to follow a path similar to Kerbal Space Program. That game is highly succesful. Perhaps what Factorio lacks to be interesting for a broader public is a more consistent, polished look and a more clearly defined set of game elements.

As for now, to me the development often strikes me as "Oh, hey, that may be cool! Let's make it!". But it should be more like: "We want this and that game. We will work on it until we have it like we intended it. Then we will see what further steps we want to take."

Perhaps what you need indeed is a sort of businessman; A big picture guy? (But whatever you do, do not make a local business man your big picture man lol)

Return to “Releases”