Factorio Roadmap for 1.0.

Information about releases and roadmap.
Houdini111
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Factorio Roadmap for 0.15 + 0.16

Post by Houdini111 »

I'm looking forward to the multithreaded update. A big reason why I haven't bought the game yet is that even in the early game it didn't run well on my laptop. I *could* just play it on my desktop, but that'd mean that I'd get to play much less. And it isn't my GPU that's the bottleneck. It's just that my laptop is (obviously) running at a low clock speed. Using multiple cores would help offsest that issue.
Do we have any ETA for it?

Aru
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Aru »

Robotics and Flight ought to be integrated, because Construction and Logistics bots both require both of them. There's really no reason for them to be separate, they're prerequisites for the same things, and neither does anything useful by itself. Maybe, "Robotics and Flight" or "Flying Robots" or something. Or even just "Robot Frame". edit: "Robotic flight" is good too, I like that one best, as there are already other somewhat robotic things in the game, like inserters.

Bartimaeus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bartimaeus »

Aru wrote:Robotics and Flight ought to be integrated, because Construction and Logistics bots both require both of them. There's really no reason for them to be separate, they're prerequisites for the same things, and neither does anything useful by itself. Maybe, "Robotics and Flight" or "Flying Robots" or something. Or even just "Robot Frame". edit: "Robotic flight" is good too, I like that one best, as there are already other somewhat robotic things in the game, like inserters.
you need to remember that in the scenarios somewhere there is a requirement to build a plane that is unlocked by the flight research... so it is not apparent from the standard freeplay game it might have a reasoning somewhere else.

Tyrindor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tyrindor »

"High res graphics introduction (This means just some parts of the game will be in high res in this version)"

When you have a high resolution machines next to a low resolution machines, it looks worse than just having all low resolution machines. You see the jarring difference by comparison, and it brings attention to it, whereas with the latter you get use to having bad textures.

I hope this won't be the case because I am really looking forward to these high res textures.
ThermicKestrel wrote:tbh I just want some more end game goals, I mean there can always be goals such as: Launch 1 rocket, 10 rockets, 100 rockets. (I think there should be achievements for that) But what else? There has been mentions of space stations so that would be cool.
In this weeks friday facts they stated they might add infinite research. I really hope we see that in 0.15 because it's something that i've been wanting forever. It will give us a reason to build mega factories instead of just "how many rockets can I launch?". Honestly the rocket launching aspect of the game isn't very appealing to me.

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

This whole thread is one big feels trip, darn. the multiplayer in .11, and all the older stuff, the introduction of trains, one big ole feel trip

deer_buster
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deer_buster »

Any idea when we can get our first downloads of 0.15.0? More than happy to only have the features that are ready, and then do dot releases to add additional features. 0.14 seems stable enough now....

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

My guess is they plan to get 0.15 released some times before Christmas, maybe a week or two before it. There are still a LOT of big features they want to add to it and from the little I've seen from FFF, they haven't even started with some of them.

Unoxxis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Unoxxis »

hoho wrote:My guess is they plan to get 0.15 released some times before Christmas, maybe a week or two before it. There are still a LOT of big features they want to add to it and from the little I've seen from FFF, they haven't even started with some of them.
Releasing 0.15 extremely close to Christmas would be extremely risky and not intelligent at all in my opinion. After the public release of there will certainly be bugs to fix. Some of them might even be gamebreaking enough that they have to be fixed ASAP. And I assume the devs would rather like to have a little time for their families during holiday season (which they VERY well deserve!)...

Remember, this is not a final game release where the "Christmas Sale" argument is a vaild one, it's an Alpha, were bugs are to be expected.

self-same-spot
Inserter
Inserter

Post by self-same-spot »

Last edited by self-same-spot on Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

redfrog
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by redfrog »

I just want to say first off that this game is awesome. Ive been playing since 0.11 and I cant wait to see where this game goes.

One think I think would be a great addition to the game would be additional train types that can be researched, such as an early game steam locomotive followed by electric and diesel electric locomotives with varying levels of usability. Basically the exact idea from this post. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21927

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Just wanted to comment on universal fluid barreling and rail tanker cars. I feel like this should be an either/or thing, I've wanted universal fluid barreling for quite some time, but having rail tanker cars imo invalidates fluid barreling completely. Why fuss with barrels at all when you can just use the rail tankers and pipes to handle all fluid movement? The rail tanker is logistically simpler to implement than barrels and most like will cost far less to utilize. I'd actually prefer having the complexity and cost of the barrel-based approach if I had to choose only one them to be in the game. Now, if assembly machines that need fluid could alternatively be fed via barrels instead of pipes, then maybe there is a reason to have both (the advantage to using barreled fluid being that you don't have to run pipes around your base to feed fluid using assembly machines).

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

Frightning wrote:Why fuss with barrels at all when you can just use the rail tankers and pipes to handle all fluid movement?
Occasionally, it makes sense to belt/bot around barrels. Trains tend to take MASSIVE amounts of space.

To not make barrels OP (way too much fluids can be put inside a box), their stack size can be lowered.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

hoho wrote:
Frightning wrote:Why fuss with barrels at all when you can just use the rail tankers and pipes to handle all fluid movement?
Occasionally, it makes sense to belt/bot around barrels. Trains tend to take MASSIVE amounts of space.

To not make barrels OP (way too much fluids can be put inside a box), their stack size can be lowered.
If trains take up too much space, that's what pipes are for....you see the dilemma? There's a more hassle free way to move liquids over both short and long distances when you have both rail tankers (and ofc pipes).

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

Frightning wrote:If trains take up too much space, that's what pipes are for....you see the dilemma?
Yes but pipes have lousy throughput. I'm with a bunch of mods in a to-be megabase now and often have to run parallel pipes to get enough throughput. No, I'm not trying to move stuff across the map.

Only problems i see with barreling is that it allows for cheating with allowing to put a LOT of barrels in a single chest. Belting them around is an alternative way of moving fluids at slight cost of infrastructure complexity. I don't think it makes sense to remove that option.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

hoho wrote:
Frightning wrote:If trains take up too much space, that's what pipes are for....you see the dilemma?
Yes but pipes have lousy throughput. I'm with a bunch of mods in a to-be megabase now and often have to run parallel pipes to get enough throughput. No, I'm not trying to move stuff across the map.

Only problems i see with barreling is that it allows for cheating with allowing to put a LOT of barrels in a single chest. Belting them around is an alternative way of moving fluids at slight cost of infrastructure complexity. I don't think it makes sense to remove that option.
Pipe throughput has been fine in my experience, but may I just haven't built anything demanding enough (or long enough pipes). I noted that the unbarreling machine in my kilobase provided ample pressure to moving oil (in fact, trying to use a pump on the output side slowed it down considerably because of the pump throughput limit of 30 fluid/sec; said machine is a tier 3 with 4 spd2 mods in it, so: 2.75 crafting speed x 25 oil/sec=68.75 oil/sec max throughput). Which is the other problem w/ barrels, in order to get the fluid out, you need an unbarreling machine, which takes up space (not quite as much as the train, but enough to likely cause problems if space was the issue).

Barrel density comes at a steep price in materials to store it (you trade material cost for space cost), and also has to have overhead space for barreling and unbarreling, so compared to fluid tanks barreled storage is actually not that unreasonable.

Finally, as I said in my first post about this issue: if assembly machines can used barreled fluid directly with no unbarreling machine, then I think there is reason to keep barrels (while having rail tanker cars as well) for the very reasoning you suggest: It would give a nice alternative to pipe based system for short distances.

Nymru
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Nymru »

To anyone: I have a general question regarding 0.15

Will there be another drastic map change (as I saw a terrain update inbound)? Thus, is it safe or not to start a new map on the current mapgen model to be futureproof?

Thanks.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Nymru wrote:To anyone: I have a general question regarding 0.15

Will there be another drastic map change (as I saw a terrain update inbound)? Thus, is it safe or not to start a new map on the current mapgen model to be futureproof?

Thanks.
I'm pretty sure that new terrain will change mapgen since there will be new distribution of it. Devs would need to confirm - maybe only type of terrain will change but general shape remains.

fractalman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by fractalman »

Frightning wrote:Just wanted to comment on universal fluid barreling and rail tanker cars. I feel like this should be an either/or thing, I've wanted universal fluid barreling for quite some time, but having rail tanker cars imo invalidates fluid barreling completely. Why fuss with barrels at all when you can just use the rail tankers and pipes to handle all fluid movement? The rail tanker is logistically simpler to implement than barrels and most like will cost far less to utilize. I'd actually prefer having the complexity and cost of the barrel-based approach if I had to choose only one them to be in the game. Now, if assembly machines that need fluid could alternatively be fed via barrels instead of pipes, then maybe there is a reason to have both (the advantage to using barreled fluid being that you don't have to run pipes around your base to feed fluid using assembly machines).
Robots can't haul filled tanker trains around, but they can haul barrels around.

The utility of having both options may be somewhat limited in vanilla, since there's only, what, 7(?) fluids in all, at least two of which you're unlikely to want to ship any distance (light oil, water), but with, say, bob's mods, there's a ton of liquids you want to move around to rather arbitrary locations via bots, while bringing oil from fields to a processing facility is easier with a simple tanker.

SeigneurAo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SeigneurAo »

Hey dear developers.

Do you have any estimate as to when we will get the first experimental builds of 0.15 ?
Thanks in advance !

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

SeigneurAo wrote:Hey dear developers.

Do you have any estimate as to when we will get the first experimental builds of 0.15 ?
Thanks in advance !
FFF-164 wrote:The plan is to have approximately 3 months to implement all the planned changes, so it could be expected around february 2017.

Return to “Releases”