[0.17.79] Mod menu button breaks when loading older save/removing a mod

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.17.79] Mod menu button breaks when loading older save/removing a mod

Post by malventano »

I had a simple creative mod map that has carried forward through several versions. I use it to check/confirm bugs, etc. On 0.77, I noticed that the Creative Mode menu button no longer works (see attached for a stripped-down save using only Creative Mod). Removing the mod and reloading the save results in a blank broken menu button, and saving/loading again with the mod enabled again results in the blank broken button remaining. Creating a new game with the mod appears to function properly (and continues to function through saves). This also happened to me on 0.76, but reloading a prior save fixed it, only to have the issue pop up again on my 0.77 save.

Reporting in case this save reveals some engine-side bug that may have caused this issue. I would also be interested to know how I can manually delete the remnant button from the save so that I can properly re-enable Creative Mod on my existing test map (or just how to make the existing button work again).

*edit* - replicated under 0.17.79. See below.
Attachments
0-creative tests-36 0.17.77-creative bug.zip
(2.18 MiB) Downloaded 61 times
Last edited by malventano on Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.77] Mod menu button breaks when loading older save/removing a mod

Post by malventano »

...and here is a stripped-down 0.75 save from the same chain where the Create Mode menu button was working (saved with 0.77). The issue appears intermittent somehow.
Attachments
0-creative tests-36 0.17.75-test.zip
(2.15 MiB) Downloaded 62 times
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.77] Mod menu button breaks when loading older save/removing a mod

Post by Klonan »

That save works for me,
And we haven't done any changes to the mod GUI internals in a while

I am going to suggest this is some mod script error rather than something on our side,
As there also haven't been any other reports of GUI breakages

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.79] Mod menu button breaks when loading older save/removing a mod

Post by malventano »

I was able to replicate this again under 0.17.79. Attached is a pair of saves. In the first, the creative mod button functions normally. In the second, it is broken and fails to open the menu. Not much changed between both saves (all mods are on the same revision, minimal map changes, etc). The only creative mod setting that was adjusted between both saves is game speed and possibly running speed.
Attachments
2 saves.zip
(5.4 MiB) Downloaded 65 times
Allyn Malventano
---

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

I have replicated this again on another pair of saves with minimal changes between saves. Still unsure of the specific action that is triggering the issue.
Attachments
2 saves again.zip
(5.48 MiB) Downloaded 64 times
Allyn Malventano
---

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

This may be fixed with a different report we had. The only way to know for sure is when we release 0.18 and see if it stops happening.

Unless someone has a way to take a new game, make a button, then cause it to break. Then I could confirm for sure it ends up fixed.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:45 am
This may be fixed with a different report we had.
Which report? I can try and replicate whatever they might have been doing to trigger.

Either way, I'll continue to monitor and report back either way once on whichever version that might address the root cause.
Allyn Malventano
---

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

This report: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=78550 which hasn't had the fix released yet.

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.18.2] Mod menu button breaks when loading older save/removing a mod

Post by malventano »

I just had this happen again on 0.18.2, but no clear link to an act that triggered the issue. I will continue investigating.
Allyn Malventano
---

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

Rseding91 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:13 pm
I was able to replicate again in 18.8. Attached are two saves. The Creative Mod button (upper left) is functional in save -1, but non-functional in save -2. If we can nail down what prevents the button from functioning in this case, it may lead back to a bug somewhere...
Attachments
0-creative tests-37 0.18.8-bobs angels fork-2.zip
(3.73 MiB) Downloaded 49 times
0-creative tests-37 0.18.8-bobs angels fork-1.zip
(3.58 MiB) Downloaded 50 times
Allyn Malventano
---

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

malventano wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:15 pm
Rseding91 wrote:
I was able to replicate again in 18.8. Attached are two saves. The Creative Mod button (upper left) is functional in save -1, but non-functional in save -2. If we can nail down what prevents the button from functioning in this case, it may lead back to a bug somewhere...
I would need a save where it works and steps to perform that break it to know if anything is broken on the games end or in the mod.

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

Rseding91 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:26 pm
malventano wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:15 pm
Rseding91 wrote:
I would need a save where it works and steps to perform that break it to know if anything is broken on the games end or in the mod.
I would love to provide that, but I can find no specific action that triggers the issue. It appears completely random. All I'm doing on these maps is some relatively light cut and paste, testing build configurations, etc. Not even using any of the 'crazier' creative mod tools (really just changing game speed / walking speed). I only notice the button no longer works when I attempt to change one of those two parameters. The only thing really happening from working to broken is a save/load of the map and building some stuff. I've ruled out other activities like adding or removing mods, as none of that was happening in most cases I've observed.

I'll keep digging on this to try and isolate a cause, but I'm starting to think it's not a user action that is triggering it.

Could you identify anything about the saves where the button is broken that might help lead back to a cause? What specifically is preventing it from working when it is broken?
Allyn Malventano
---

Return to “Pending”