Game FREEZES and CRASHES my entire PC forcing reboot

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
bestofluck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Game FREEZES and CRASHES my entire PC forcing reboot

Post by bestofluck »

I just bought the game tonight and was excited to get to play it, first off, let me say the interface for the website is.... confusing to say the least, after I paid for the game I click download and it just downloaded the demo, not the full game, I waited a half hour for it to download as well before realizing I had to put in an upgrade code in an entirely different section of the website, not sure why you guys do that but it's confusing. Now the demo loaded fine, it started and everything, but when I realized my mistake I quit the game, went back and figured out what I had done wrong, and downloaded the correct alpha version which oddly enough took 2 minutes to download... why does a demo take a half hour but the full game only 2 minutes?? Anyways, I can not play it. I have a mac osx computer NOT yosemite, and it CRASHES whenever I try to open the game, it won't load past 10 percent and it FREEZES my entire computer. Yeah, FREEZES my entire computer. This game isn't exactly very taxing on a computer, I can run much bigger games with no lag or problems whatsoever, so why is this game freezing my entire computer? I can't even unfreeze it, I have to push the power button on my computer and shut my entire computer down and then restart it manually, it's ridiculous! So no I don't have a bug report, cause when I turn my computer back on it acts like nothing is wrong. Is this a potential fix?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Game FREEZES and CRASHES my entire PC forcing reboot

Post by DaveMcW »

Things to try:

1. Download the stable version 0.10 https://www.factorio.com/download/stable

2. Upgrade to yosemite and try the unstable version 0.11 https://www.factorio.com/download/experimental

bestofluck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bestofluck »

But Yosemite is having crash problems is it not? I saw that it was under the known bugs section of the forum, anyways I'll try downloading the "stable" version when I get home from work, I don't know which version I downloaded but there was only one download link for mac users.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I've had issues myself when I try to launch 2 instances of the game due to VRAM usage and the symptoms you're describing are exactly what happens to my computer when I do that.

Try going into the config files for the game and lowering the settings down to the lowest they go (you can adjust once/if it loads).

The game takes on average 500-700 MB of VRAM to run for me. If you've got less it can cause strange issues.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

chlue
Inserter
Inserter

Post by chlue »

I guess you system runs into the same issue that brings my system down. See here:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 478#p54591

If that helps, what are the specs of you gpu?

bestofluck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bestofluck »

I see you're having similar issues but the problem is that I can't (or don't know how to) adjust the aforementioned settings. Again, the game does not load, at all, it just freezes my computer. I guess I'll fiddle around with it a bit more. But I'm not a computer guy, not at all, I don't know much about computers or what gpu means or what my specs are. Like I said, I'm not technically illiterate, but I lack a lot of computer debugging know how, but I haven't had any issues downloading games in the past, I play civ 5 and minecraft and excom on my mac all the time.

EDIT : Okay, so after trying to get this game to load some more I can determine that I do have the stable version, 0.10.12, I don't believe I'm running two instances of the game, I have nothing else running when I open it. I went into the config files from my "finder" thing and that's of no help I can't change any settings... I'm at a loss for what to do, if you have any ideas, I'd love to hear it.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

How does "Can't change setting" work?
It's a text file.
Mac haz no text editor
?

PS: Use more line breaks please. Text walls are hard to read.

chlue
Inserter
Inserter

Post by chlue »

bestofluck wrote:I see you're having similar issues but the problem is that I can't (or don't know how to) adjust the aforementioned settings. Again, the game does not load, at all, it just freezes my computer.
The potential workaround I mentioned in my post before means that you need to locate the file config.ini on your system and edit it manually with a texteditor. After that you start the game as usual and if this helps as for me then it should just work. I am not aware of any method to do this setting from within the game.

The relevant change is in line 5:
factorio_config_ini.png
factorio_config_ini.png (53.23 KiB) Viewed 9327 times

bestofluck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bestofluck »

yeah, I'm in my config files and I don't see what you're seeing, what I see is completely different and there is no such line.. what's a text editor?

EDIT: it's really weird too, I can reach my config file from "all my files" but not from from the config folder in the games contents (it says there are zero items, 0KB of stored information)

infinitehubgear
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by infinitehubgear »

I guess this is part of the fun of playing an incomplete alpha game :)

It looks like you're finding it difficult to find the config.ini file. Perhaps you can share a screenshot to show exactly what you mean?

Here's what I see. You should be able to right click and open with Text Edit (you may have to select it from Applications) You may have to make hidden files visible since the Library Folder is hidden.

The "max-texture-size=4096" is not normally in the text file so you have to manually type it in and save it.

Let us know how you get on, and best of luck!

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Did the "max-texture-size=4096, (or even "max-texture-size=2048") settings help?

Return to “Pending”