[0.17.31] Train on Auto slams into parked train on Manual!!!

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[0.17.31] Train on Auto slams into parked train on Manual!!!

Post by zOldBulldog »

I could not find an earlier report and this is too obvious a problem to ignore.

Scenario:
- There was only one path to the destination Train Stop (there were blueprints laid down, but tracks were not built yet).
- A train on manual was parked on that path.
- I was on a train and not noticing that there was no clear path I set it in automatic to head to a destination.

Result:

- The train started getting up to speed and turned left into the track where the parked train was.

Comment:

It is bad enough that trains on Auto are not aware of the movement of manual trains when they intercept their path "on the fly". But not being able to see a manual train that is moving in the same direction in front of them or worse - like in this case - that are fully stopped at a station but on manual... is game breaking. Please fix.

Zanostra
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.17.31] Train on Auto slams into parked train on Manual!!!

Post by Zanostra »

when you change a train to automatic mode, it checkes if it can enter the next rail block before entering it.
but as far as I know, it doesn't check if his current block is occupied so it just starts moving as if he's the only one in his current block.
if there was a signal or a chain signal between the manualy parked train and you in the automatic one, it should have stopped at the signal.
if there wasn't, then I think it worked correctly.
trains need signals, or there will be collisions.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Trains do not check for other trains, signals check for other trains. Trains simply go when the signal says it's OK or when there's no signal. You're going to need to post some pictures, but from your description it sounds like a signalling problem.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

I figured it out but I do not understand it. The signal was there but it showed green even though the train was present. I had to remove and replace it in exactly the same spot to make the signal work properly.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

I'm unable to reproduce the situation of a signal showing green despite the presence of a train.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

TruePikachu wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:39 pm
I'm unable to reproduce the situation of a signal showing green despite the presence of a train.
I have been very busy and did not have a chance to test further. Thinking about it in my few free moments I got a suspicion:. Could it be that placing a train does not get detected as present? Or perhaps some combination of placing rails before/after the signal?

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

zOldBulldog wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:15 pm
TruePikachu wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:39 pm
I have been very busy and did not have a chance to test further. Thinking about it in my few free moments I got a suspicion:. Could it be that placing a train does not get detected as present? Or perhaps some combination of placing rails before/after the signal?
That's exactly what I had tested, including ordering ghost construction.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

I never saw such behavior before, so it must be a weird sequence of placements and incomplete tracks.

At least we know it can happen and will know to record the steps that caused it if we see it again in the future

Return to “Pending”