Linux only: Weird hang on game exit

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Linux only: Weird hang on game exit

Post by Omnifarious »

On my laptop, the game currently often (but not always) causes the system to hang on exit, and much more rarely on other sudden major full-screen updates, like exiting the mod GUI.

This has been an issue for me for a long time. And it's obviously the fault of the X server or the video drivers. No program should be able to cause this behavior. But the fact remains that Factorio is the only program that causes this. I had been hoping that the GUI re-write of 0.17 would fix it, but it hasn't.

This has previously resulted in a complete system freeze, but more recently I can still log into it remotely. And the X server is using 100% (or more) CPU when I do. When I can log in remotely, I still can't shut anything down. Neither the X Server nor Factorio are killable, which very clearly points to some kind of video driver issue inside the kernel.

Since I can now log in when it happens, I will make an effort to collect more data, like the Factorio logs. I'm willing to put in some effort to collect whatever data you would like me to collect.

On my laptop, I run Factorio through Steam. I've bought it twice, so I do have a copy on a couple of systems I own that are direct downloads from factorio.com. I can also do that on my laptop if necessary.

I don't do much in the way of programming around video hardware myself. So I don't really know where to begin with troubleshooting.

I'm willing to share the output of things like `lshw` in a private message to verified Wube staff. Too much sensitive data in lshw to scrub for public consumption. I will say that it's a Dell Precision 5520 I bought in September 2017 that has 32GiB of memory and an NVIDIA Quadro M1200. It is not a lightweight machine.

Sunseille
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Linux only: Weird hang on game exit

Post by Sunseille »

Sorry i'll be rude but i have a lot of questions about this issue since it's not happening on my computer which is on linux too.

What OS?
What driver? nvidia? nouveau?
Driver version?
Factorio version?
Log file?
Save file?
Xorg log file?
Linux journal log?
Everything is up to date?
System uptime?
After how many minutes/hours/day of playing your system start to hand on?
Always on exiting factorio?
Did you try to relaunch then quit the game after it happened? slower loading screen?

Report all the informations you can to a Factorio's staff member, once they got all they need i would try to do a clean install of every drivers.
I hope you'll find what's the cause of it
edit: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=54985 related?

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

Sunseille wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:50 pm
Sorry i'll be rude but i have a lot of questions about this issue since it's not happening on my computer which is on linux too.
Oh, it's not rude. You're right to ask. And thanks for doing so. It helps me organize my thoughts around the topic.

> What OS?

Fedora 29 (on 0.16 it happened with Fedora 28 as well).

> What driver? nvidia? nouveau?

The nvidia drivers that come from rpmfusion, kept up-to-date.

> Driver version?

Every driver version I've downloaded.

> Factorio version?

I'm not sure about 0.15, but it's happened with every version of 0.16 I've played, as well as every version of 0.17.

I will say that it seems to have become more frequent since 0.17.0.

> Log file?

I'll try to get one of these soon.

> Save file?

This can happen without me ever loading a game. Even if I just start it, download some mods, then exit, it can still happen.

> Xorg log file?
> Linux journal log?

Good idea. I'll try to get these too.

> Everything is up to date?

Yes

> System uptime?

Irrelevant. If I'm out and about I frequently have to resort to simply turning the system off. It can happen almost immediately after startup if I run the game again and then exit. And it can happen after the system has been running for days.

> Always on exiting factorio?

Not always. Sometimes (very rarely) it can happen on any sudden and major change in the screen. It used to happen if I used the 'Windows-key + PgUp' combination to move away from the Factorio screen, but that seems to have stopped happening.

> Did you try to relaunch then quit the game after it happened? slower loading screen?

Nothing seems different after I shut the system down and restart.

> edit: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=54985 related?

That looks very much like it might be related. This might be a total dupe of that issue in fact.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

We are silently expecting this to be solved by a bugfix we did for 0.17.44

Let us know if it wouldn't be the case.

Return to “Pending”