16->17 Update server slowness

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

16->17 Update server slowness

Post by golfmiketango »

When I run my 0.16.51 steamless linux factorio client, it offers to update, but the updates are taking an unplayably long time. After waiting about 30 minutes, I'd guesstimate that 2% or less of the progress bar is filled. My client is talking to li617-218.members.linode.com to do that update.

When I go to the download page, the full download of the 0.17.11 tar.xz takes just two minutes. That comes from li920-196.members.linode.com. Perhaps something nefarious and/or buggy is going on with li617-218? Perhaps by the time you read this the problem will have resolved itself so I'll give you a time stamp:

Code: Select all

Wed Mar 13 00:34:16 UTC 2019
I think I aborted my update attempt 20 or 30 minutes prior to that. I tried it twice and double-SIGINT'ed my client both times. My IP 75.147.143.249 which reverses to malth.us. My box has full IPV6 which might somehow play a role in this (but the actual update downloads appear to be going over ipv4 https). nevermind, my ipv6 broke again :x

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: 16->17 Update server slowness

Post by TruePikachu »

I know there were updater problems at one point, not sure if it was isolated to a single Factorio version though.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

Aha! After fixing my ipv6 everything went smoothly. Since, as we all know, correlation=causation, clients with broken (technically, working, but not internet addressable) ipv6 might be where the problem lies. Which is almost everybody last time I checked.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Its just the poorly implemented CDN factorio uses.

I also have the same issues, devs just dont care, it seems, ive posted it in the update thread and an own bug report - no answer.

R u from germany?

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

I'm in the US.

I think I can refine the situation which (I suspect) led to this problem.

My ISP gives me fixed IPV4 but my IPV6 addresses are dynamically allocated by prefix delegation. But for reasons I've never been able to figure out, my router sometimes doesn't get the message if my IPV6 addresses are reallocated. This doesn't happen very often and simply requires a router reboot to resolve. I haven't bothered automating a solution to that; it'd be pretty easy but, meh, I'm too busy automating virtual trains to bother :lol:

So what ends up happening in these situations is:
  • I have a normal, working, private ipv4 address that is source-natted to a normal internet-addressable IP.
  • I have a broken internet-addressable ipv6 address -- that is, it's validly allocated to my ISP and used to work, but doesn't anymore; instead it acts like a black-hole for both ingress and egress
  • I have a normal, working, link-local ipv6 address, which allows me to resolve ipv6 dns normally (via both ipv6 and ipv4, although I'm pretty sure the router has to forward the ipv6 dns queries to upstream ipv4 dns servers as it too has a black-hole ipv6 internet address).
So my above statement that most people have similar ipv6 configurations is not really accurate, upon reflection. I'm pretty sure most people have working link-local autonegotiated ipv6, and maybe some sort of ipv6-over-ipv4 tunneling for ipv6 network egress which IME is quite often broken. But it does not typically fail by assigning non-working internet-addressable ipv6 network addresses to the local interface, which my problem does.

Even so I suspect it's somewhat common for people to find themselves in that situation some of the time, i.e., they took their laptop to work, and then came home, and have lingering internet-addressable ipv6 assignments they got at the office, or they have a flakey ipv6 router like me.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Im not even sure if factorio uses ipv6 anyway!?

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

nuhll wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:20 pm
Yeah, that was why I made the joke that correlation obviously implies causation... it could be a red-herring. But I doubt it. Won't know for sure until my ISP/router problem occurs again, I suppose.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

golfmiketango wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:18 am
nuhll wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:20 pm
Yeah, that was why I made the joke that correlation obviously implies causation... it could be a red-herring. But I doubt it. Won't know for sure until my ISP/router problem occurs again, I suppose.
Its factorio, their CDN seems to be round robin, doenst matter where you live, i live in eu and get 50% lower then 30kbs, 20% more then 50mbits, 20% under 100kbs and in 10% of all downloads the connection even abort.

And i dont have any internet issues.

I dont know why they ignore this easy to fix problem. There are 1gbits root servers for under 50€/month, or they could just have unlimited bw and space with google drive, but i guess tahts too easy. - for 8€ a month.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

Google wants quite an elaborate authentication dance for sanctioned interfacing with Drive. I'd rank: self-hosting great, CDN meh, Googlification bad. But just my opinion.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

golfmiketango wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:34 am
Google wants quite an elaborate authentication dance for sanctioned interfacing with Drive. I'd rank: self-hosting great, CDN meh, Googlification bad. But just my opinion.
What do you mean? I use gdrive fully encrypted with full speed for over 8tb for 8€ a month?!

Return to “Pending”