[0.16.51] Replacing power poles shows incorrect connection preview

Things that has been reported already before.
nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.16.51] Replacing power poles shows incorrect connection preview

Post by nuhll »

Hi,
did anyone notice that sometimes when you place power poles they dont connect like they show on while you hover over a location?

Removing and replacing fixes it.

Since i dont play much vanilla, the question is, is that factorio related, or some mod? I expierience this with vanilla power poles. Im not sure but it might only happen if you upgrade your power poles by hand...?

For generally not making new connections see: 55121 (NaB)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: power poles sometimes not connecting

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however without an example showing the problem there's not much I can do.

Electric poles have a limit of 5 copper wires per pole so maybe you're hitting that limit?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Rseding91 wrote:Thanks for the report however without an example showing the problem there's not much I can do.

Electric poles have a limit of 5 copper wires per pole so maybe you're hitting that limit?
Try yourself placing a power pole over a power pole blueprint - it jiggles.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Yes, upgrading power poles by hand preserves connections.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Jap2.0 wrote:Yes, upgrading power poles by hand preserves connections.
I remember that there was already a bug report about this once. That the wire-preview for poles placed above ghosts/fast replace an old pole is incorrect (because it does not consider the ghost/old pole) or something.

I.e. it was (is?) a problem with the *preview*.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

eradicator wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:Yes, upgrading power poles by hand preserves connections.
I remember that there was already a bug report about this once. That the wire-preview for poles placed above ghosts/fast replace an old pole is incorrect (because it does not consider the ghost/old pole) or something.

I.e. it was (is?) a problem with the *preview*.
Yes, exactly

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

So im not the only one :>

not the only one, not the only one :> :>

eh.. yeah. I know the limitations, but when replacing fix it... ;) I will look more if i find a good example, i never cared and just replaced them. But there is something wrong.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

OKay, i think i foun dit out.

Take a power pole which has e.g. radius 10, replace it with a better power pole which has e.g. radius 15 (if you hover over it, it shows it connects to a new power pole which is 12 away) - but if you place it, it wont connect. Solution: Remove and place again.... annyoing...

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

nuhll wrote:OKay, i think i foun dit out.

Take a power pole which has e.g. radius 10, replace it with a better power pole which has e.g. radius 15 (if you hover over it, it shows it connects to a new power pole which is 12 away) - but if you place it, it wont connect. Solution: Remove and place again.... annyoing...
Working as intended. Fast-replacing power poles preserves the wires it had connected assuming they can be connected (aka you aren't downgrading the pole).

If that's not what you want: don't fast-replace poles. Just leave them be or remove them and install the new poles which are going to have different spacing anyway because they have different reach.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Rseding91 wrote: If that's not what you want: don't fast-replace poles. Just leave them be or remove them and install the new poles which are going to have different spacing anyway because they have different reach.
The whole point is that OP (and other ppl) would like that the preview considers the special fast-replace behavior and doesn't show wires as if the pole was freshly placed. Not that the fast-replace behavior is changed.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

eradicator wrote:
Rseding91 wrote: If that's not what you want: don't fast-replace poles. Just leave them be or remove them and install the new poles which are going to have different spacing anyway because they have different reach.
The whole point is that OP (and other ppl) would like that the preview considers the special fast-replace behavior and doesn't show wires as if the pole was freshly placed. Not that the fast-replace behavior is changed.
Ahh ok I see :)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.16.51] Replacing power poles shows incorrect connection preview

Post by kovarex »

This topic is older than the other one, but since the other one is more active now, I'm moving this to duplicates. The other topic: 67967

Return to “Duplicates”