[16.28] Game freezes at random times

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
runamucker
Inserter
Inserter

[16.28] Game freezes at random times

Post by runamucker »

I'm almost embarrassed to report this because of how little information I have to give you, I mean, I'll really try, but...

What did you do?
I played the game

What happened?
The whole game froze. My mouse still moved, and I could alt-tab out and use my computer fine, but Factorio refused to respond to any clicking or keyboard input, and mousing over something didn't have any effect on the screen. Asking it politely to close from the Taskbar had no effect. Had to resort to violence (Task Manager).

What did you expect to happen instead? It might be obvious to you, but do it anyway!
I expected the game to not freeze.

Write down the steps to reproduce the bug if you know them.
1. Play for about 8 hours

Does it happen always, once, or sometimes?
It has happened to me 3 times since I updated from 0.15 to 0.16, and never before. I've played maybe 24 hours total since then
The first time, I was moving the mouse in the Technology screen
The second time I was moving around in Map mode with WSAD
The third time, I was placing belts

Be precise!
Wish I could. I feel bad even reporting this, but it's a game-breaking bug, so I can't not report it, right?
Attachments
mods.zip
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 75 times
factorio-previous.log
(4.42 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
factorio-current.log
(4.01 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
_autosave3.zip
The last save before one of the crashes
(16.91 MiB) Downloaded 77 times

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [16.28] Game freezes at random times

Post by Twinsen »

I tried to run the save with the mods at 1000x speed for a few minutes and it didn't freeze.
If it happens again, please crate a minidump of the frozen process(precess explorer should be able to do that).

Without it i'm afraid there is not much I can do other than blame it on mods.

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jon8RFC »

It may not be this issue, but I notice you have Factorio on a drive other than C, so this came to mind. Check that your drives don't go to sleep.

Go into control panel>power options, then click on Change Plan Settings on the right, then click on Change Advanced Power Settings. Click on Hard Disk>Turn Off Hard Disk After, and set it to zero or never.

I've never noticed sleeping to be an issue in other games, but it has happened to me, and others, in Factorio and caused a minor stutter, but never a complete lock up. For me, it was the drive I had my pagefile (and nothing else) on going to sleep after some Windows7 update reverted my sleep settings. For others, I think it was just their C drive going to sleep and causing a small stutter. It's worth a shot, and there's no useful and measurable reason to have drives go to sleep anyway. In the case of platter drives, going to sleep actually causes premature failure, so it's even more of a reason to disable sleeping.

runamucker
Inserter
Inserter

Post by runamucker »

Jon8RFC wrote:It may not be this issue, but I notice you have Factorio on a drive other than C, so this came to mind. Check that your drives don't go to sleep.
You think a C drive can go to sleep? When would it ever have the opportunity? It's constantly writing and accessing the swap/page file to keep everything else running (not a rhetorical question, actually asking to maybe learn something new). Either way, if C drives going to sleep is a common enough thing on Windows machines, then it's still a bug in Factorio.

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jon8RFC »

I see no reason why it can't go to sleep if it's not being used--my pagefile drive would go to sleep on occasion once its non-sleep setting was mysteriously reverted. But, the reason I mentioned it is because you have Factorio on D. Having the game on a lower-priority drive is a drive which is more likely to go to sleep. Seems like a bigger issue than just sleep though.

In the off-chance that it resolves the issue, you've found your solution :) But, it seems like a bigger deal than just that. Regardless, there's no beneficial reason for you to have hard drive sleep enabled (maybe a web host datacenter engineer can attest to minor savings annually with their thousands of SSDs), and I've seen it cause stuttering with Factorio (that isn't Factorio's fault) while the platter drives spin up. So you can rule that out, make your computer stay responsive, and if you have platter drives, GREATLY increase their lifespan and reliability while you're at it.

There probably isn't much helpful information in those particular logs for the Factorio people to go by, unfortunately, so I'm jumping in to help if possible.

You can always rule out a major drive issue with a SMART check. I've used this one to easily view SMART status: https://crystalmark.info/en/download/#CrystalDiskInfo
Grab the standard zip, and check that it says all of your drives are "good" to rule out any major drive issues.

You can always do a ram test to rule that out too. The proper way to test is with only one stick installed at a time (use memtest86 and windows memory diagnostic). I've seen memory tests succeed (even with hours worth of passes) until it's run with a single stick in the computer to truly isolate its usage, so a test with multiple sticks installed isn't ever a successful test.

Return to “Pending”