[16.07] [linux] Game crashes when focus is lost

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
rocketeer99
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[16.07] [linux] Game crashes when focus is lost

Post by rocketeer99 »

On 0.16.x in fullscreen, when focus shifts to another window (e.g. alt-tab, or a chrome notification), factorio will completely freeze. It crashes about 1/10 times focus shifts, and won't respond to anything but a "killall -9".

Ubuntu 16.04, Factorio 0.16.07, no mods.

I can upload the map, but this happens regardless of which map I'm playing.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(3.98 KiB) Downloaded 101 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [16.07] Game crashes when focus is lost

Post by Rseding91 »

This sounds like Linux isn't sending switch in/out events correctly to the active window resulting in the game thinking you've minimized it and haven't clicked back into it yet.

Try changing the config value "halting-rending-when-minimized" to false (and un-comment it) and see if it fixes it for you.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

rocketeer99
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rocketeer99 »

That did it!

Thanks so much for the solution!

db48x
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by db48x »

Thank you for investigating this, but I suspect that you've come to the wrong conclusion. For one thing, on Linux you can run any of a large number of different window managers; there's no one window manager used by all Linux systems. I'm using Unity on this laptop, where I definitely have the problem, and gnome-shell and metacity on other computers that I'm too far from to test on (due to vacation).

More importantly, however, this bug was not present in earlier versions of Factorio; it's something that was intoduced with 0.16 (or possibly one of the point releases; due to travel I didn't get to start with 0.16.0).

Could this be reopened?

Oh, one last detail: this only happens in full-screen mode; windowed mode is fine.

rocketeer99
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rocketeer99 »

Update: This lessened the frequency of the crashes, but did not resolve them entirely - it's crashed around five times since I changed the setting. Any chance we can reopen this, or should I post a new bug report?

And as db48x mentioned, it wasn't an issue in .15.x.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Can you try to enable "Low quality sprite rotation" in Graphics options and see if it helps anything?

Return to “Pending”